Snake Awareness/Preparedness

dteec

Anyone have suggestions on how to be prepared for possible encounters with snakes? I've heard there are Snake Bite kits out there. What is in them?

My 4-yr-old son almost stepped on a rattlesnake on our first day out GeoCaching. Luckily we got away unharmed. Thanks in advance for any tips provided.

dteec

I would go to any of your outdoor/adventure stores and talk to them (REI, Grandwest Outfitters, etc.)

Not only would you want to have a first aid kit, but you'll also need to identify which snake it was you had an adventure with, and whether or not it's venomous. Amazon has a book called "Snakes of Utah", or a Boy Scout pocket guide might work also (and you could carry it with you...) I have a Boy Scout manual that not only has wildlife listed, but also other neato tips (plantlife, etc...)

I'm sure some others will have better ideas...

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

The current theory for snake bite first aid treatment is don't. The 'experts' recommend moving the victim to a hospital as quickly as possible. First aid treatment has been labeled as ineffective and simply extends the time until effective treatment can begin at a hospital.

Ice packs, suction, and circulation restriction are outdated remedies. The affected area will likely swell significantly so removing rings, watches, etc is recommended.

Get the patient to a hospital quickly is the best first aid.

felix is right -- you have to watch out for the Utah Rock Python. It's a rare subspecies that starts its life as a tadpole and hibernates for 39 months before emerging from its lair as a...

What?! Ummm... Please don't pay any attention to that obvious nonsense I was spewing. I wonder where that came from...

I just got a copy of the "US Army Survival Manual". It contains tons of great information including color pictures of most of the 'dangerous' snakes in North America (as well as other areas).

Sorry felix, I couldn't resist... icon_razz.gif I have to go find Yellow Submarine soon. I used to bike around that park with my oldest daughter when we lived in Midtown.

- -This river don’t go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.- -

felix is right -- you have to watch out for the Utah Rock Python. It's a rare subspecies that starts its life as a tadpole and hibernates for 39 months before emerging from its lair as a...

What?! Ummm... Please don't pay any attention to that obvious nonsense I was spewing. I wonder where that came from...

I just got a copy of the "US Army Survival Manual". It contains tons of great information including color pictures of most of the 'dangerous' snakes in North America (as well as other areas).

Sorry felix, I couldn't resist... icon_razz.gif I have to go find Yellow Submarine soon. I used to bike around that park with my oldest daughter when we lived in Midtown.

- -This river don’t go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.- -

dteec,

Best advice I can offer is to learn all you can about them. However if you don't want to do that...then try these simple rules.

1. Never step over a log or a rock. Step up on it first then look on the other side.

2. Never stick your hands in a hole of any sort unless you can see that there is nothing else in there.

3. Use a lot of common sense.

Snakes will not attack anything that they can't eat, unless they feel threatened. Dispite what you might have read in the preceding logs......there are no snakes in North America that will try to eat a human.

If you are bitten by a snake it is imparative that you kill it so that it can be identified. If you are given the wrong antivenom it can be fatal!

As to your question on snake bite kits. They contain a razor, a strong cord, antispectic and instructions. They are no longer encouraged to use...but I carry one anyways.

I could go on much longer on the topic, but basically the chance of being bit by a snake is small. If you make enough noise going through the woods......they will get as far from you as possible. Noise meaning heavy walking...they feel vibrations.

As you probably noticed with the rattlesnake...it gave plenty of warning without striking. It dosen't want to waste its venom on something it can't eat. Water snakes like the cotton mouth...and even the other 300 plus non-posinous water snakes will bite in a heart beat. So be very very careful when around water.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

El Diablo,

Everyone is gonna expect me to take your point # 2 above and make a real zinger out of it!

(I'll say it three times to help you remember: Nyquil, Nyquil...)

PLEASE do not feed the majicman with such OBVIOUS zinger-morsels!!!

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

The current Boy Scout handbook talks about first aid for snakebite but has no pictures for identification. Solohiker is right, don't cut the skin. The Boy Scout Fieldbook does have a few small color pictures of snakes, as well as bees/wasps, scorpions, and poisonous spiders. I feel certain that there are better identification tools available.

My advice is to stay alert, avoid any snakes you see, and kill any that bite you, so you can take it with you as you seek medical attention.

-Brett