Would you maintain a tourist's cache if asked?

Alan2

I would tell the cacher I will adopt the cache and make it mine. If you can't maintain it, don't leave it. If you come back once or twice a year every year, fine it's your's, but if you are never coming back in the foreseeable future it should be turned over to a local cacher, and think twice next time. And don't just place a virtual where a real cache can go because you like the spot. A local cacher will place one soon enough. And if you move away, you should find a local to adopt your caches, unless you plan on visiting a lot.

Cache you later,

Planet

"You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will

give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

What would you tell him?

Since I'm only a couple miles away and asked to do it, I would probly help the person out.

Unless the cache turned out to be lame (a film canister in an abandoned lot or something). Then I would just offer to remove the container so the listing can be archived.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I would volunteer to adopt it, or to find someone in the area to adopt it. Alternatively, I would offer to collect the remains so he can archive it.

Caches require ongoing maintenance, and placing a regular cache in an area that you don't intend to return and haven't prearranged a maintenance agreement with someone just seems a bit shortsighted to me. If something goes wrong with it in the future, this poor guy is going to have to keep digging for more volunteers, put me on speed dial, or archive the cache (which means we now have a box of trinkets littering the area with no chance that it will be hunted ever again).

Virtuals? Cool - place all you want anywhere you want, as long as there is something worth the journey.

But a regular cache needs a visit at least every few months, if not more often, and will likely require replacement at least every couple of years due to wear and tear.

An alternative suggestion to those who find a place that they feel NEEDS a cache: Post the coordinates and a description on these forums and find a local who finds the place interesting, or place a virtual there.

quote:
Originally posted by GrouseTales:

I would hope the cache owner would offer to pay the costs associated with replacing the container, logbook, trinkets.

Excellent idea, a sliding scale should be imposed depending on terrain difficulty. The tougher the terrain the higher the cost would be. Minimum (pre-paid) fee of $20.00, plus $10 per level of terrain difficulty. So a 4 star would be ($20+(4*10))=$60.00 icon_razz.gif

If they don't want to pay, well then there is the option of locating the cache, and taking it to the local dump. icon_eek.gif

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

As noted by you, Alan2, on the other thread about these tourist caches - it seems to be (to us) a matter of turf invasion and territoriality.

I see that some persist in their delusion that it is REALLY all about "maintainence". They don't understand their own bias.

Then again, the whole "maintainence" issue was boiled down even further to "intent". That nice feelgood word used by certain elements of the public.

I would take a look at a cache if asked to do so. Why not? If I had already been there, it would be easy, and if not, then I would get another find.

Then again, who would ask?

Who knows you well enough to say, go and look at my cache it was reported leaking.

Caching - its not really worth the anguish that some people have over it.

Hey - don't forget either, those of you with "good intentions" - Koom-By-A icon_razz.gif

I already am a cache nanny, but I'll agree. I didn't offer to be the nanny until I had visited the cache (I was first finder on it). THEN I offered. If it had been a lame-o cache, I wouldn't want my name associated with it.

I offered to help in any way possible: either by full adoption or by cache-nanny. He chose the latter.

I just had someone offer to be a cache nanny for me for a cache I placed about 50 miles from my house. It was very welcome as he only lives about 15 minutes from the cache, whereas I live a good hour. I still want to maintain ownership, and have gone back and checked it a few times, but it takes a good 2.5 hours total for me to get there and back for a maintenance trip (about 55 minutes trip one way x 2 + 40 minutes round trip walk).

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by treemoss2:

Then again, the whole "maintainence" issue was boiled down even further to "intent". That nice feelgood word used by certain elements of the public.

Say, have you seen my mentally-challenged brother Skippy anywhere? I've been worried sick, he's gone missing!

Wait a minute! Skippy, why are you all covered in tree moss? You'd better come home with me right away, mother is very upset about the horrible mess you made.

quote:

As noted by you, Alan2, on the other thread about these tourist caches - it seems to be (to us) a matter of turf invasion and territoriality.

I see that some persist in their delusion that it is REALLY all about "maintainence". They don't understand their own bias.

I would take a look at a cache if asked to do so. Why not? If I had already been there, it would be easy, and if not, then I would get another find.

Then again, who would ask?

Who knows you well enough to say, go and look at my cache it was reported leaking.

Caching - its not really worth the anguish that some people have over it.

Hey - don't forget either, those of you with "good intentions" - Koom-By-A icon_razz.gif

No, treemoss, it's about people taking responsibility for their own actions, and people who don't understand their own aversion to doing just that.

You asked in another thread how many of us maintain our own caches, and I believe you didn't get the answer you were expecting (we absolutely do). So, I'll turn the tables here. Do you go check on tourist caches in your area to see how visitors are impacting that area? Do you suggest to the tourist who's not maintaining their cache that it needs to me moved WHEN there IS impact? Or are you still belligerantly ignoring Step #5 in placing a cache.

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

And I have maintained visitor caches several times. I noticed that about half said they would help. You don't need half, you just need a few. The area I live in draws many tourists and some have left caches behind. I changed the container on one when I walked in and saw it destroyed.

I do keep a couple of watertight containers in my rig when caching. I expect to find older caches in poor repair every so often. If a previous cacher mentions in their log that the cache box was ruined and I'm next, I"l replace it myself. You can also get some cheap notebooks for a new log if needed.

For me this visitor/tourist cache thing is a non issue. I have placed a few tourist caches myself. In the past most were virtuals but since virtuals are frowned upon these days I will place regular caches. I had one cache in San Diego plundered twice. The first time another cacher replaced everything without asking me. When it was plundered a month later I knew it was a bad spot so I archived it. I'd had to do the same thing locally though.

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

OK Logscaaler and Welch. Let's say it was this one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=24602 which is actually a cache I place while on vacation in Florida. Ignore the part that I have a relative down there.

Alan

Alan, like I said, it would depend on the cache.

I should point out that I really don't have a problem with replace an ziplock, leaving a new log, or another pen/pencil. Anytime I find such a problem I fix it if I have them with me, which I usaually do. I usaully would not replace a container, but since I've been asked by the owner I won't worry about removing their "special hand painted, stickers from the kids..." box.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Alan2 :

After reading the short version of the cache page mentioned above, I would have no problem helping out on that one. It seems as others have enjoyed it and it gets a lot of traffic.

The ones I myself have trouble with are the ones that turn to crap and only after the cache owner getting nagged at by other cachers does the owner want something done about it by a local.

I have helped out before and I will help out in the future. I have offered to adopt a cache several hundred miles away out in the sage but the owner was going out to fix it "as we speak" but that was almost a year ago.

Will I offer again? Yes.

Will I replace the container, put in a stash note, put in a logbook and goodies? Yes.

As well as another one or two in the same area.

All dropped off by tourist who have not been back in over two years.

All who have declined help/adoption in the past.

It will take about 16 - 20 hours and around 500+ miles round trip alone for Red and I to do it.

Will I ask for cost? No.

Will I ever here from the owners? Doubt it.

Why will we do it? The caches are in some real neat spots and I will replace or archive them.

If I archive them, then I will have to put my own caches out there for others to come hunt.

How ethical does that sound? :

" Your spot/cache sucked so I had it archived. "

To be followed by : " Hey folks, come see my new cool neat cache !! )

Yea, right.

Next.

TTFRN, logscaler.

skydiver asks me

>>>>> So, I'll turn the tables here. Do you go check on tourist caches in your area to see how visitors are impacting that area? Do you suggest to the tourist who's not maintaining their cache that it needs to me moved WHEN there IS impact? >>>>

No. I don't. I don't know which caches are these "tourist" caches you seem to hate so much. I don't as a rule ever look up the cacher to see where they are from and if they qualify as a tourist. I don't care who is placing it.

I do not have any problem with these tourist placing caches, maintainence or not. Like I said, if I go to a cache and there is a problem with it, I would deal with it on the spot if I am am able or I would post it or e-mail the cache owner. No big deal. I don't feel I have to search out tourist caches and try to catch them.

Gee, why are you so worried about a cracked conatiner, a wet logbook, no McToys left in the cache. You think you might just enjoy the whole process without trying to make an US/Them sort of situation out of locals and tourist.

Good gawd!

quote:

How about you actually respond to the issues raised, rather than attempting to alter the argument?

Part of cache ownership is maintainence. If you are unable to maintain a cache, you shouldn't place it. Plain and simple. This goes for locals as well as "tourists".

Who's sock puppet are you, anyway?

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

How about you actually respond to the issues raised, rather than attempting to alter the argument?

Part of cache ownership is maintainence. If you are unable to maintain a cache, you shouldn't place it. Plain and simple. This goes for locals as well as "tourists".

Who's sock puppet are you, anyway?

Heh. You really expect them to answer that?

I especially like being called a liar by someone too cowardly to stand up and admit their identity.

Ron/yumitori

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

I had one cache in San Diego plundered twice. The first time another cacher replaced everything without asking me. When it was plundered a month later I knew it was a bad spot so I archived it.

I was first finder to Lazyboy's I HATE I-5 III cache. When it showed up missing later I didn't think twice about getting a replacement cache together and putting it back in the bush. Total cost to reprovision cache was around ten bucks and an hour of my time for travel. I felt good about myself for replacing it, and can remember at the time thinking what a humanitarian Lazyboy was for going outside his normal area to spread a little cache joy around.

Never once did it occur to me to castigate a non-local for dropping off a driveby cache. It was a good idea. Who could know that a tupperware container hidden in a thick leafy bush 100's of yards away from the actual reststop would be plundered twice?

--- yrium ---

I want to thank everyone for responding to my poll.

I feel better now about my tourist cache in Florida. I was glad to see that more than half of the people voting would gladly help in maintaining it should I need assistance. You've restored my faith in mankind. icon_smile.gif

WHen and if the need arises, I know I'll be able to have someone help. I won't have to rely on that relative nearby. Although she enthusiastically helped hide it and follows who's finding the cache, she doesn't have a GPS and I doubt if she could re-find the location on her own.

I'm sorry though that I won't be providing round-trip Delta tickets to any volunteers.

Tks

Alan icon_cool.gif

quote:
Never once did it occur to me to castigate a non-local for dropping off a driveby cache. It was a good idea. Who could know that a tupperware container hidden in a thick leafy bush 100's of yards away from the actual reststop would be plundered twice?

I didn't consider the illegal alien aspect when I placed that cache. So many border hoppers in that area that the cache was doomed. The cyclone fence in the area was bent way over from the traffic.

Back when I placed that cache there weren't very many in the area. Things have changed.

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

Finally, my vacation cache discussed above, Greeting from New York, has ben plundered. The last cacher who found it was kind enough to verify that it was stolen after I contacted him by email. He even volenteered to replace it but I suggested that he place his own cache in the park instead in another area since this spot was compromised.

Isn't that great? One cacher helping another. icon_smile.gif

What a great ending to cache that was out there for 10 months and visited by over 30 cachers all of whom (both locals and visitors to FL) apparently had a great time with it!

Alan

It depends.....

I have sorta adopted Mundy's Gap, one of the first caches in El Paso. The original owner had to leave El Paso for his job. The cache is in a 27,000 acre park, in which I am a volunteer. I periodically patrol the trail past the cache. I drop in, check on it, and E-mail the owner that all is well. AFAIAC, it is still his. Although he does come to El Paso for a visit now and again, we have never met.

So there it is for my answer. But since it is in an area I frequent, it isn't hard. If it took more work, maybe not.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I voted that I would help out. But I think that it would have to be a Partnership cache.There would have to be some kind of ground rules ect,ect...Every Connection makes another connection....Happy Geotrails

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS***GEO-TRY-AGAIN*** THE *******RE-DISCOVERY******* http://www.lapurchase.org ***1803--2003*** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE" 200TH ANNIVERSARY AND THE "LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION" http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

I have adopted a cache cause I was closer and others in the area were having trouble locating it. It seems like in my area we all look out for each others caches and do what's needed without being asked. Logscaler is one of the best examples someone could have for a cache nanny. If people would quit having the attitude of "It's not mine so tough" (and not just in cacheing) the world would be a cleaner, happier place.

eagle1.jpg

If you fly like an Eagle the Turkeys don't bug you!!!

This thread begs the question about the need for this rule that is currently on the books. I found this under the guidelines for placing a cache.

Placing Caches on Vacation

Placing caches on vacation is unacceptable and these caches will not be approved on the web site. As the cache owner you are obligated to be in a position to manage your caches, and caches placed on vacation require someone else to maintain them for you. Please be responsible.

Wet mop, aisle seven ...

For me, it would depend on how far, what kind of quality, and how difficult. I'm not in a cache-rich environment here, so a new cache is welcome, but I don't want to end up maintaining someone else's vacation cache. If I have to maintain it on a regular basis, I prefer to adopt it.

I have a far away cache myself, near my boyhood turf where my mother still lives. I get up to that area 3-4 times a year; when the time comes that the visits are less frequent than that, I'll either offer it for adoption or archive it. If I can't maintain it, it's not really mine, is it?

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde