Most caches found in one day?

travisl

On 6 April 2003 Geo Dee 58 finds and around 6 no finds in the Northern Nashville area.

I was driving, Jogps was navagating, and Geo Dee was finding.

Weather had a big part in the number of finds, it was a cold rain with scattered down-pours.

For 3 geocachers to get out and have a great time just hanging out all day and dashing around, it was a day to remember allways.

We've improved upon our previous non-event day record, with 74 finds in Sacramento on 4/24. vdbalamo, jimswim, and bthomas had 18 caching hours; our high rate was 8 per hr, and we had one hour skunked.

It rained for half the day, making for puddled parking lots and muddy trails.

We had a mix of urbans, suburban parks, and rural hikes. A few were multis. A few were virtuals; did not count several locationlesses. The longest hike was just about mile round trip, and we had many 0.5 mile. On average, we tried to get with 300 ft, though. Found a mix of ammo cans, tuperware, and micros. Did enjoy the hunt and stealth aspects of going for some micros. Caches ranged to 3-star.

Learned some history. Got to use the 'dying to get in here' joke a few times. Worked around a lot of poison oak. Moved a few pounds of mud on our shoes. Came within 60 ft of a male wild turkey strutting for a hen. Saw quite a few nicely stocked caches.

Really enjoyed the sublime feeling of replacing sponge-wet socks with clean dry socks.

There was a recent recorder breaker for our state by Team Sprocket, 55 in one day. A month previously Cacheman and Webbman teamed up for a record of 44 in one day. We only like to do about 6-12 before we get tired and cranky. Sprocket discussed his record breaking day and how he planned it out here:

Sprockets record

Although we don't like doing a high number of caches in one day, if others get a kick out of it, isn't that what geocaching is all about?

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

The most I've found in a day is 4, and I've done it a bunch of times, I pick the ones that take some time, group them together, then dedicate most of the day to them.

I'm still too new to effectively marathon cache hunt. I don't think I would enjoy it as much, but as another aspect of caching, it would be cool to try to refine my cache hunting efficiency to the enth degree. But I'll wait until I'm board with my normal caching habits, and gain a little more skill.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

quote:
Originally posted by bthomas:

Here's one: 45 for just me, solo. No partner, team, or event. 19 hours on 5/25/2003 in Thousand Oaks, CA. Mostly 1's and 2's, but one 1100 foot climb. About 6 DNF.

Holy Smoke, man! That's some serious caching! My personal best, excluding Yak Cache Machine, is 17 and that took all day. Of course on that day I had 2 or 3 DNFs.

My personal best, exclusive of cache machine events, was done with one other person (The1Nub) the day before the YCM. We hit 16 cache sites (13 finds, 3 no-finds). We got a late start, hitting the first one at about 10:00 a.m., and found the last one after dark.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

I knew that was coming. icon_rolleyes.gif

Why else would I bring The1Nub along? We go out in the woods, thrash around for 30 minutes, then I let him find the cache for me.

Of those 13, I found 5, Nub found 5, EvergreenHiker found 1 (met him on the hunt!), and we found 2 simultaneously (I think -- my brain doesn't work well that far back).

This ties a 5-find solo hunt day in Maryland in May 2002, and two 5-find/1-no find days last week in Colorado.

I suppose my solo-hunt numbers would be higher if I spent more than four hours in a day hunting solo. For long days of caching, though, it's more fun to drag a friend/in-law/kid/spouse along.

Plus, as Criminal will no doubt point out, it's always quite an accomplishment when I'm able to actually find a cache on my own icon_wink.gif

WWJD? JW RTFM.

Well seeing as I am on the list, I should note that my 31 for a day was around 19 hours, over 400 miles, zero no finds, zero virts and by myself.

I have no problem making a mad dash and grabbing a bunch. But I also have no problem just taking the time to spend all day out and just get one or two caches. It just depends on the mood I am in at the time.

Now, how many people have considered this thread as a challange?

logscaler.

Tried the power caching thing once for I think a measly 11. We were tired, grouchy, and the fun had turned into mind numbing obsession. We now map out 5-8 caches and try to get at least four when we go out. I love the numbers and the stats and root for those who put up the impressive numbers because I know they have busted their hump to get there. Now looking at the 62 to in one day. Divide that into twenty four hours. Where they all lined up within 500 feet of each other????? icon_eek.gif

Wags, Russ & Erin

Someone out in the hot deserts of Arizona spent the day yesterday getting 55 geocaches, tying an Arizona record.

The first record was set in March I think. Yesterday's was done in 111* heat.

That's an addiction.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking:

Someone out in the hot deserts of Arizona spent the day yesterday getting 55 geocaches, tying an Arizona record.

The first record was set in March I think. Yesterday's was done in 111* heat...

Sure, but it's a dry heat icon_smile.gif

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

I'll mark our 5/29 day as a possible 2 person, non-event record: 60.

Since we had a few where one of us previously cached, we actually went to 64 finds. We also went to 10 DNF's, and drove out to explore the access for 6 others for 80 destinations. These were in the Stockton and Sacramento, CA areas.

We did best early morning and night time. I'm tired.

PS: Can someone confirm that my 5/25 single person record of 45 just fell?

My best is not relevant, but I know of a cacher in central Indiana who's planning to blow the doors off the record books by attempting 100 in a 24 hour period. He's very experienced and is apparently planning this endeavor very carefully.

I'm not at liberty to reveal who or when, but keep your eyes open.

quote:
Originally posted by martmann:

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking:

Sure, but it's a dry heat icon_smile.gif

Yea, but I don't crawl in my oven to sleep, either... icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by martmann:

quote:

Sure, but it's a dry heat

So is hell.

Trust me 111* is HOT. People get seriously ill/die in that heat. Not to mention seriously cranky and unreasonable.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

The most I did in one day was 26. Renegade Knight and I started the day in the dark, and it was dark when we finished. I was also a very good day because we didn't have any skunks. On the other hand we tried to exceed our previous best a couple of weeks ago. It should have been easy. The geographical area was a lot smaller and the caches were supposed to be easier. We only found ten and had four skunks including one rated as a 1/1. We were also exhausted when we got done. Just goes to show you that things don't always go as planned.

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!