Play-doh can for micro?

Has anyone ever used a play-doh can as a microcache container? I am currently planning a multi-cache where the first stage will be a micro containing instruction worksheets for the remaining stages. I need something bigger than a 35 mm film can, but still small enough to fit in a hole in a tree and not be found by non-geocachers in this town park.

An immersion test of this container for two hours in water resulted in the paper staying dry!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Daddy, are we there yet? No, .17 to go. Are we there yet? No, .16 to go....."

I remember them having the cheesy plastic covers and cardboard too. Ahh, the good ol' days...

If it can stay dry and the covers are better now than what I remember, then it's worth a shot!

Ive got a few hundred empty medicine bottles here, some are 4-5" tall and 2" diameter, maybe I should do some micros myself or sell them here! Those keep out water well too.

There are a lot of judgemental people in the world, and I think all those people are worthless dirtballs.

You can get all the micro cache containers you want. Got to any 1 hour photo place, like walmart, and they'll give you as many film canisters as they have. They just throw them away any way. I've needed them for class demonstrations and I've always been able to get as many as I needed.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

Play-doh cans are 100% plastic nowadays, and the lids are pretty airtight, because if they weren't, the Play-doh would dry up even faster than it already does and there would be a wailing chorus of unhappy 3 year olds that would sweep the nation.

The containers are 3 inches high by 2.5 inches across... much roomier than a film canister. I want to include ten printouts of my instructions plus some pencils for those who don't come prepared for the hunt.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Play-doh cans are 100% plastic nowadays, and the lids are pretty airtight, because if they weren't, the Play-doh would dry up even faster than it already does and there would be a wailing chorus of unhappy 3 year olds that would sweep the nation.

Don't forget to wash them (the containers, not the 3 year olds) out really, really well. Remember, kids like to eat play doh. Animals might also be attracted to any remaining hint of that delectable aroma. icon_wink.gif

quote:

Don't forget to wash them (the containers, not the 3 year olds) out really, really well. Remember, kids like to eat play doh. Animals might also be attracted to any remaining hint of that delectable aroma. icon_wink.gif

Rubbermaid makes a container that's about the same size as a Play-doh container (if I remember right). They're small, round, and sold in 2 packs. I'm using one of them for a micro right now.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."

Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

My daughter is old enough to play with Play-Doh now. I haven't touched the stuff since I was a kid, but the first can of hers that we opened, I couldn't help but take a good drag. Mmm! It's amazing how well your brain can remember scents!

I suppose you'd have to paint the container as well so you don't have an easy-to-find bright yellow micro out in the woods. How well would paint stick to the smooth plastic? Is there such as thing as camoflage tape?

icon_wigogeocaching.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

My daughter is old enough to play with Play-Doh now. I haven't touched the stuff since I was a kid, but the first can of hers that we opened, I couldn't help but take a good drag. Mmm! It's amazing how well your brain can remember scents!

I suppose you'd have to paint the container as well so you don't have an easy-to-find bright yellow micro out in the woods. How well would paint stick to the smooth plastic? Is there such as thing as camoflage tape?

icon_wigogeocaching.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesehead Dave:

Is there such as thing as camoflage tape?

Yes. Wal-mart stocks it around hunting season; I couldn't find any there last June. They also stock colored duct tape.

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesehead Dave:

Is there such as thing as camoflage tape?

Yes there is. As a matter of fact one of our local (northern, NJ) has started using it to help hide his cache containers. It works pretty well around here. We'll see how it works during the fall and winter months when the deep green color stands out against the browns and white.

Also intead of the Play-doh can you may want to check out the local supermarkets. Knock off tupperware style containers can be had for very little money. They may be a bit more water-proof also.

good luck

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

Hi jnc and welcome to geocaching! No question is too basic and the folks here in the forums are glad to help. Three months ago, I had no idea what a "micro" was, and now I am out hiding them!

A microcache is a geocache that doesn't use the traditional tupperware or ammo box container, but instead, something tiny like a film canister, key box, pill bottle or Altoids can. The challenge is to "think small".

Micro's are particularly well-suited for urban environments, high-traffic areas, and to house stages in a multicache. In my multicache, you need to first find a microcache that has nothing in it except the instruction/clue sheet for the remaining steps of the multicache.

Other microcaches are set up for trading small items like foreign coins, State quarters, pocket knives, pins and jewelry, etc. Still others are "log-only" - - just sign a small piece of paper to prove that you found the tiny little thing.

I hope that is a good summary of Microcaching 101.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Well, I went and hid my aMAZEing Elves in the Heights" cache using a Play-doh container as the first stage micro, to hold the instructions for the other three stages. I thought that would be a good idea, to keep some of the details a mystery, and also to help out those cachers who believe in just downloading the coordinates and not even checking to see that it's a multicache. But, the instructions were too long to fit in a film canister so I improvised.

Unfortunately, the last two hunters both reported that the play-doh can was found on the ground with the lid off, with teeth marks in it. Apparently critters like to eat Play-doh as much as human kids. I will be replacing this container with one of the smallest sized Rubbermaid containers very soon.

MORAL: if it held food, even if you wash it out with soap, a critter can still smell it. Food containers don't make good cache containers, and food items don't make good trade items (except MAYBE in an ammo box).

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Maybe a bit pricey, but by far one of the best cache containers I've seen. I ran into a cache in Houston that was inside one of these. As I opened it, I felt the compressed air rushing out. After you put your cache items in, it pressurizes to 14 pounds per square inch. Totally watertight and paintable. Most sports stores have them, look at the link below or do a web search for tennis ball saver.

http://www.telesport.com/

I like decon containers for smaller caches. They are already cammo colored, very water resistant, approximately Play-Doh can sized, and just all around cool!

30041_200.JPG

My last batch came from Ranger Surplus and cost about $1.50 each.

Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers. - Socrates

quote:

Has anyone ever used a play-doh can as a microcache container? I am currently planning a multi-cache where the first stage will be a micro containing instruction worksheets for the remaining stages.

If you do this, can I have the play-doh? icon_smile.gif

Hey! You can't blame me for asking...

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...