Multi-caches

I know that this has probably been brought up at some point in time, but I couldn't find it using the search!

What I want to know about multi-caches...How many stages in a multi-cache and the distance between stages is too long? Along with that, should most of the stages be micro? mini? standard? or virtual? The reason I'm asking this part is that we were thinking of doing a multi-cache with the final cache being of normal size if not slightly larger and for it to be a "spawn" type cache, where it is filled with a bunch of mini caches for cachers to hide themselves...We haven't completed the research on doing this, but input would be helpful...

Its all up to you. Personally I make the beginning stages mini, or micro caches and the final stage a full sized one. I have stages that are several hundred yards apart and some that are over a mile apart. I've heard of multis with stages many miles apart (usually doable by car).

From my own standpoint, I don't think I'd search for a multi that had more than 3-4 stages, so that's what I limit my multis to. I've heard of 12 stage multi's, but would have no interest in completing one.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on March 12, 2003 at 06:34 AM.]

Using virtual stages in a multi is another good technique. For example, if there is a scenic view along the trail, and it has a plaque, require the hunter to take numbers off the plaque and plug them into a formula to determine a set of coordinates to go to. I have a four-stage multi where the middle two stages are virtuals, one on a hilltop and another in a wildflower preserve. It cuts way down on maintenance... a virtual "container" will almost never go missing. You also leave less of an impact on the environment because the object is obvious once you get there.

I agree that 3-5 stages is usually about right for the typical multicache in a park. But there are exceptions to every rule, particularly if the cache is put together creatively, or takes you to especially nice places. See Tahosa's caches that take you on a mountain hike, for example. He puts numerous virtual stages along the way and asks you to include info. about them in order to log a find. But for a typical walk in the woods, after I've found 3 or so film containers, I'm about ready to grab an ammo box.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Using virtual stages in a multi is another good technique. . . See Tahosa's caches that take you on a mountain hike, for example. He puts numerous virtual stages along the way and asks you to include info. about them in order to log a find.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

Thanks for the Compliment Leprechauns, and for that I'll send you an Irish Toast:

Slainte Gus Saol Agat. icon_wink.gif

Well its a lot of mental work to tie them together

the results can be worth it. Only the die-hard cachers go for them so don't be surprised if hits on your caches are few and far between.

What I've found the easiest way to set them up is work backwards. Using a mapping program I find a possible place for a cache, mark the coords, then go to the virtuals and come up with problems to make the coordinates. After that is all done then I go to the woods and see if a Cache can be placed there. It may take some tweaking of numbers or some descriptive clues to lead them on.

Don't try and make them too tough, by then you have allready driven them nuts.

Two of my favorites are: #25 and Puma's Red Ribbon Overlook. But just wait till Summer there are more cooking that will be at least a standard

4 & 4 Cache. One won't even have coordinates, you will have to find the map, and then the clues will tell you its in 1 of 4 places, so make your choice.

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

It's worth a note that if the interim stages are physical caches, your maintenance costs go up. If the second stop in a three stop caches goes AWOL, the cache is "broken". This is why I chose things that won't go missing for my "We Shield Millions".

Be forthcoming with total distance coverage in a multi. A three stage multi that takes ten minutes of walking in a park, a three stage that requires 2 hours of hiking in the oods, and a three stage that requires driving 13 miles around town but not getting out of your car at each stop will appeal to different finders.

i'm getting ready to post a very long multi that covers many miles. it's a difficult and complicated set of puzzle caches that creat a sort of connect-the-dots effect. some of the stages are micro, some virtual, and some full size.

the key is that the cache page will inform the seeker what to expect. some people seek out these sorts of things, and some avoid them like the plague. just make sure you let the finder know what it's going to be like.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

It can be completed in less than 2 hours and is around 1 mile walking distance. It's been out since Jan. 7 and has been found by fewer than 8 people I think. It really doesn't matter to us how many visitors our caches have as long as everyone enjoys them. If we start getting negative comments on one of our caches, we'll pull it in a heartbeat.

I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

I have a four-stage multi with a hard math puzzle to find the final stage. Total distance is about sixteen miles as well. That one has only picked up a handful of finders.

Another one is a long-distance multi where each stage is a standard cache container that you can log as a separate find, but you have to drive between the stages. The nice thing though, is that you don't have to do that one all in the same day. This one has gotten significantly more finds than the other which I'm suspecting is because of the math involved with the first.

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Soon after geocaching caught on in Austin, TX a long distance multi-cache appeared called the Austin Challenge. It had 4 or 5 legs located in various parkland areas all over town. Total drive distance was about 50 miles and total hike distance was about 2 or 3 miles. That was replaced by Another Austin Challenge which had 7 stages, maybe 35 to 40 miles driving, and maybe 3 to 4 miles hiking. I really enjoyed these caches and I am now working on one to be called The Next Austin Challenge that is modeled after the first two but with higher terrain and difficulty ratings.

TxHiPowr

I have a cache that takes people back and forth across the historic downtown section of the city I grew up in. Lots of historical markers to use and a fair amount of (simple) icon_wink.gif arithmetic to get from stage to stage, but when a large group of local cachers went out and did it (As part of a 12-cache cache caravan day), they all gave it good reviews icon_biggrin.gif (except for the fact that it was about 15° and breezy by the time we did it late in the afternoon)

A Walk Down Millionaire's Row

Doing the whole cache is about a one and a quarter mile walk down city sidewalks (hence the elevated terrain rating of 1.5 stars) icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif and less than an hour of time...

Cache well, and see ya round the bend...

There were a couple of several stage, several different small city park multi-caches in the Ann Arbor that I didn't have time to do while I was up there, but they seemed like a fun challenge...

And, there seems to be a bit of a glut on the seemingly standard three-stage traditional multi here in the Cleveland area...

West Creek Preserve

PAST-AGAIN

Buckeye Trail at Ottawa Point

FROM MILL TO HILL

and my own soon to be placed MeadowFalls BookCrossing cache.

And, our local park district even got in on the act with this cache: Hinckley Tree Identification Trail Cache

Cache well, and see ya round the bend...

Here in the Netherlands, we have the "Elfstedentocht", an iceskating race following the eleven cities of Friesland, one of our provinces. It also is a geocache, with microcaches in every city.

I've done it, on a cache event, along with 15 others and thought is was great!

--

Robert Elsinga =8-)

geocaching (at) elsinga.org