Using Dowsing to find a cache.

A friend of mine was interested in geocaching. I lent him my yellow etrex and he went to find a cache in Kentucky. A friend went along and brought his dowsing device to help locate the cache. They found the cache, with a combination of gps, dowsing, and clues. I thought this was interesting.

Anyone else every here of geocaching via dowsing?

Dowsing is a uiji board, sort of psychic, kind of searching method.

You use a bent Y shaped twig. Or a pair of bent wires on ball bearings.

When searching the twig is supposed to point when your near the target. The wires are supposed to cross on target.

Like the board, dowsing is a sub-consience manipulation of low-tech instruments. Which can lead people, even the user, to believe there is some kind of supernatural influence.

merlin.gif

Believe what you like.

Just have fun.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Dowsing does not involve a supernatural influence, simply an influence not documented by science.

I have used dowsing to locate underground telephone, electric and water lines. I had a great uncle that used it to find the best location to dig wells on his and my grandfather's property. These wells where hand dug in the '20s and are still in use today (they only dried up once during a drought in the '50s).

I have also heard of a more advanced method that uses film canisters with the wire poked through the lid. You place a sample of whatever material that you are looking for inside the film canister, and the wires will point you toward nearby objects of the same material.

I have not had any luck making/using these, but there was a company a few years back selling these to schools and law enforcement agencies until the FBI shut them down. Two seperate contacts that I have with-in law enforcement said they witnessed demonstrations that were 100% sucessful.

In one demonstration, a small amount of marijuana was placed inside a high-school locker and inside the canister. The person using the device did not know which locker contained the pot, but successfully located it using the device.

In a separate demonstration witnessed by a different friend, 12 people where lined up. A hair was plucked from one of them and placed inside the canister. The person giving the demonstration successfully located the person the hair belonged to.

In both cases, the person demonstrating the device was placed in a seperate room while the test material was being placed (or removed in the case of the hair).

"No Comment"

majicman, if getting near a cache gives you that "special feeling" then it is time to post something in the "You know you're addicted to geocaching when..." thread!

My only request of you is to make sure that your dowsing rod stays hidden if you choose to go cache hunting in "drag", as you professed in the "Female Geocachers" thread.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house."

quote:
Originally posted by xsintrik:

In both cases, the person demonstrating the device was placed in a seperate room while the test material was being placed (or removed in the case of the hair).

However, the people it was being demonstrated to were not placed in a separate room. That would be what we call a "double blind" test. No dowser has ever had any success with a properly constructed (i.e. to the same standards as those used by scientists) test, as evidenced by the fact that the James Randi Educational Foundation's million dollar prize has not yet been claimed. Nobody's ever even been able to show any evidence of supernatural (which means exactly "not documented by science," by the way) effects during the preliminary testing, despite many, many attempts.

warm.gif

Cousin got in way of electric welding machine making fence on farm. Hurt lots but no badness for him. After accident can not wear watches can not work computer but can find water and buryed pipes using metal rods. Still do after 10 year. Honest story no matter what you think of Kije.

Kije's great uncle good at finding metal and vodka with special iron rod. He no call it dowsing.

Kije (kee-zhay)

I figured I'd better get to the bottom of this so I called Miss Cleo, and she said Dowsing is for real and it is all a bizzare coincedence we have found all these Tupperware containers with a GPSr.

She also said my ex's body was going to be found soon, guess I'd better re-hide it. Hmm, where did I write down them dowsing stick coordinates???

The first thing I thought of when I saw this topic was James Randi's million dollar prize. It's a shame that none of those renowned psychics or faith healers have come forth to claim the money.

I don't mind admitting to that "special feeling" when near the cache location, though. I would call it something like "cacher's intuition". I found a cache the other day by heading directly to the right tree in a small group of them.

Nothing supernatural about any of it, or anything, however.

--

Well,

I recently watched "The Jerk" and now I know that there is a "Special Purpose" for my dowsing rod (and my wife knows all about the "Special Feeling", too.)

(Hose 'er down, boy... hose 'er down good!)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by Kije:

Cousin got in way of electric welding machine making fence on farm. Hurt lots but no badness for him. After accident can not wear watches can not work computer but can find water and buryed pipes using metal rods. Still do after 10 year. Honest story no matter what you think of Kije.

Kije's great uncle good at finding metal and vodka with special iron rod. He no call it dowsing.

Kije (kee-zhay)

My brother (when he was younger) got hit by a car and got "dain bramage" (sorry, Bill Cosby) and thought he was a chicken.

I tried to get mom to let me take him to the doctor, but she said we needed the eggs! icon_wink.gif

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by Kije:

Kije (kee-zhay)

My brother (when he was younger) got hit by a car and got "dain bramage" (sorry, Bill Cosby) and thought he was a chicken.

I tried to get mom to let me take him to the doctor, but she said we needed the eggs! icon_wink.gif

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by Team Dragon:

quote:
majicman said: Sometimes when I'm geocaching, and I get very near the cache, I get a "special feeling!"

ROTFL! Funniest post I've seen in too long! icon_cool.gif

Team Dragon (is that like Dragin' (pun intended)),

Thanks for the humours award.

P.S. I sometimes get the same "special feeling" if I wear womens silk undergarments and spin around real fast... or, stand too close to an industrial vaccuum cleaner...

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by Team Dragon:

quote:
majicman said: Sometimes when I'm geocaching, and I get very near the cache, I get a "special feeling!"

ROTFL! Funniest post I've seen in too long! icon_cool.gif

Team Dragon (is that like Dragin' (pun intended)),

Thanks for the humours award.

P.S. I sometimes get the same "special feeling" if I wear womens silk undergarments and spin around real fast... or, stand too close to an industrial vaccuum cleaner...

--majicman

THERE!

Now this should have dragged this stinkin' thread about as deep into the gutter as I can get it!

Hey everyone, lets jump on a horse and ride off in 5 differnet directions! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_eek.gif

--majicman

THERE!

Now this should have dragged this stinkin' thread about as deep into the gutter as I can get it!

Hey everyone, lets jump on a horse and ride off in 5 differnet directions! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_eek.gif

--majicman

I bet that, right 'bout now, majicman is kind of wishing to be reincarnated as a weiner dog.

(This will only be marginally funny until the next time Mitsuko changes her profile picture - I give it about an hour.)

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house."

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

I bet that, right 'bout now, majicman is kind of wishing to be reincarnated as a weiner dog.

Just ask my sweet wife, she uses BOTH those words to describe me (at different times, of course...)

--majicman