carabiners...

rm17

They make handy little clips for securing your keychain to your belt, securing items to your backpack, etc. -- in fact, most of the cheap multicolored carabiners you see these days are not suitable for climbing at all.

Carabiners for climbing generally have a breaking strength of 3600kg or so and are made with load-bearing gates. The typical cheapie is good for 150 lbs or so.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

Hmmm, let's see.

You could heat 'em up and use them to brand livestock, you could rig the gates open and make a better mousetrap, you could hang 'em on your ears and make jewelry.... icon_biggrin.gif

Snaplinks in general are pretty handy - the ones that are up to Climb-spec are rated to handle fall loads much higher than your basic home-depot snaplinks. Typical (closed gate) loads around 24KN for climbing carabiners so they're good for alot! I have some I've used to hang a climbing wall in my basement!

If you like reusing climbing gear - drop some coin on some cams and you can things off holes in your walls. icon_wink.gif

Seriously - the only advise I'd give is if you *do* use carabiners for something other than climbing - mark them clearly so they never get used for climbing protection in the future!

I'll just forget all the uses I have for them at work and deal with personal reasons for them.

I have three hanging from my pack. To hold a cap, gloves or whatever.

I use them in my basement to hang wet shoes and tools.

In the garage for hanging rope, cable and tools.

Hanging stuff from trees when I'm hiking

Rigging my 3 foot New Years Eve ball (don't ask).

There are dozens of more reasons that escape me now.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

Hanging a geocache from a tree, or tying it down in a flood prone area. That way people can easily release it to get at the log and contents and easily re-secure it.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

I've used them to .....

snap my camera bag to my pack!

To use as a hook to hang stuff!

To go from strape to strap on my pack across my chest, to stop it from moving!

I have my work badge on one!

On my bike to hold my keys!

Oh and of corse to put in caches....

Found the cache but where is that damm GPS?

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

A security screening guard confiscated one from me at the Atlanta airport once; he said it could be used as a weapon (aluminum knuckles, maybe icon_confused.gif) so I wasn't allowed to carry it onto the plane. And this was pre-9/11 when they still allowed carrying pocket knives and box cutters onboard.

Confirmation that jerks can have a vivid imagination.

Worldtraveler

...but you can find some good info here (which points to a post referencing some PETZL marketing site).

Or you could check out PETZL's website directly here. Even if you're not into climbing, they have a great website with information on topics including gear, tree climbing, knot tying, and general playing (no mention of geocaching icon_frown.gif).

It's a great site - packed with information although I've never come across anything on using carabiners as weapons (maybe it's part of the airport screener training!) icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by HartClimbs on March 06, 2003 at 05:18 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

A security screening guard confiscated one from me at the Atlanta airport once; he said it could be used as a weapon (aluminum knuckles, maybe icon_confused.gif) so I wasn't allowed to carry it onto the plane. And this was pre-9/11 when they still allowed carrying pocket knives and box cutters onboard.

Confirmation that jerks can have a vivid imagination.

Worldtraveler

Unfortunately with every job you have idiots, I work Canadian airport security, I sometimes find strange things in the confiscated items bin.

When I ask why a item was taken it's often because a guard didn't know what it was. Many of them seem to have a philosophy of when in doubt confiscate.

today the strange item was a air hose coupler, the guard thought it was a tool so they confiscated it. Fortunately the passenger got it back

More to see, More to do

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

...but you can find some good info http://www.gunks.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=2&Board=gear&Number=71879&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1 (which points to a post referencing some PETZL marketing site).[This message was edited by HartClimbs on March 06, 2003 at 05:18 PM.]

FYI: the link in that thread is wrong. Get the file here: http://homepage.mac.com/petzlmarketing/

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Greetings!

My favorite non-technical use is as a stress reliever!

I love walking along and clicking the gate open and hearing that SNAP as it slams shut!

I was once in a Walmart and as I was shopping heard "that sound". Investigating further i rounded the corner to find a VERY attractive blonde outdoorys-looking female - happily thumbing her biner.

She looked up to see me staring at her and I just reached down and snapped my biner.

She smiled a huge smile and I walked away. Two nature-loving carabiner snappers whose paths crossed!!

:-)

Sincerely,

PULASKI icon_biggrin.gif