A rock is not always a rock

Rusty O Junk

That's evil wicked cool! Can you share the dimensions for that container? If the rectangular opening is key-sized, that is one small fake rock to find.

One of my favorite, favorite finds ever was a fake rock encasing a tupperware container about 10 inches long by 5 inches wide by 2 inches deep. Won't tell ya where. icon_wink.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

[This message was edited by The Leprechauns on February 19, 2003 at 03:42 PM.]

I want to do a cache like this, but I want a bigger fake rock. Something along the lines of a fake boulder. icon_smile.gif I'd like to be able to hid an ammo can, or some other normal sized cache container inside. It would, of course be hidden in a rock pile, probably up on a mountaintop. That or somewhere easy to get to, a Terrain: 1 Difficulty 5 cache icon_biggrin.gif

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

No need to be fake...

Just recently I placed a cache with VictoryMike and we used a dremel tool to engrave coords into one (flat) side of a rock flipped it over and dropped it. The engraving job took a while but it looks great and the rock is natural.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

The Leprechauns, The thing isn't very big. It's overall 4 1/2 inches wide by 3 1/2 high. The key cavity is 2 1/4 inches by 1 inch.

Mr. Snazz, No need for weight as its all solid plastic with the exception of the little hole on the bottom. Stands up real well with no chance it will blow over. I do have to wonder if hedgehogs will chew in it as they love plastic. I'm sure you have found coffee can lids chew on, well that's the work of a hedgehog.

evergreenhiker, found them in "The Dollar Tree" store.

I just recently found a cache that looked like a rock. It was an ammo box that was sprayed on three sides with expansion foam and then painted blackish-grey to look like a rock. Cache was placed on the side of a rock bluff. We didn't find it until we were right on top of it and looking straight down at it. Great idea.

I've just recently completed 4 different size fake rocks. I used expandable foam insulation to do it.

One method I used, was to just shoot a big blob of it out on a piece of cardboard, then carve it to look like a rock (after it had hardened and finished expanding)... then hollowed out the cavity for the cache container.

I later found that I could easily make forms out of heavy cardboard. (Don't just make a box either, make them odd shaped) Just before the foam completely dries and hardens, you can easily add texture to it by adding cracks, etc. A little nonstick spray on the inside of the box helps keep the foam from sticking too.

Do a little trimming, shaping and painting, and glue a little moss or lichen to them for a good effect.

I'll try to post some pics when I can. I don't have a digital camera, but I'll take some 35mm and get it developed.

Now that the snow has started melting , I'm going to try and put a couple of these caches out in the next week and see what kind of response I get.

quote:
Originally posted by wyoduckhunter:

http://www.absoluteponds.com/stone-covers.htm

there is a huge fake hollow rock!

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

Cool rocks but in Louisiana we never see rocks like that. People would think they are fake or imported. Rocks are so rare that when I see one my natural instinct is to touch it.

Your results may vary. Capn Skully

. . . as the first stage in this cache. The rock I have has some kind of butterfly or bird or something on the other side, but you can still use it anywhere you can conceal that side. I have a slip of paper in it with the coordinates for the next stage. I got mine at the dollar stores, too.

I put it near rock steps in a public park. There were other rocks around and I just snugged it up near the outside bottom of the steps along with a few other rocks. The one I have is about fist-sized and the hole in the bottom is for a key.

I noticed that the rock steps were in bad repair with quite a few rocks missing (I thought about tucking this fake rock into one of those holes, but was afraid it would look too obvious). Later, when I came back to check on this one, I found that a rock mason had done repairs on the steps, but left my little rock in place.

52813_3100.gif

I've got a micro that I hid in a fake rock I made from concrete. It's a moving cache that at this point has moved at least once a day for the past 3 weeks. I went out looking for it myself after someone posted they couldn't find it. It took me an hour of looking to find. You know you did a good job of camo when it takes the cache creator and hour to locate his own cache. icon_biggrin.gif

--

Not Necessarily Interesting News

quote:
Originally posted by Team Bohica:

I've got a http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=53113 that I hid in a fake rock I made from concrete. It's a moving cache that at this point has moved at least once a day for the past 3 weeks. I went out looking for it myself after someone posted they couldn't find it. It took me an hour of looking to find. You know you did a good job of camo when it takes the cache creator and hour to locate his own cache. icon_biggrin.gif

--

http://nnin.net

Vini Vidi Velcro I came I saw I stuck around. Your results may vary. Capn Skully

I know that this thread is about faux rocks,but

Team Bohica I submitted a roaming cache with the

exact same rules as yours(different container though)

and the aprover would not aprove it

because when someone moved it there would be

no way to tell until they logged it.I think that

'cache polo' is a great idea in urban settings.

Seatrout

85907_2000.gif

[This message was edited by SeaTrout on February 20, 2003 at 02:39 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Cloak_N_Dagger:

I've just recently completed 4 different size fake rocks. I used expandable foam insulation to do it.

The only problem I've seen with the "foam rocks" is that they tend to fall apart after a few months.

I prefer concrete. Sure, it's a lot more difficult to lug a 40-pound blob of hollowed-out concrete into the woods, but at least it's a lot less likely to get stolen... icon_biggrin.gif

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SeaTrout:

exact same rules as yours(different container though)

and the aprover would not aprove it

no way to tell until they logged it.I think that

Mine was approved with no problem. It's been working quite well actually. I've only heard of one person trying for it and missing. It's a hazzard of trying to go after this cache and makes for part of the fun. You might go after it and be looking for something not there. It's been placed in some really interesting locales that a normal cache could never get away with. I have yet to hear a complaint other than it keeps ending up on the north side of town. I guess that's where a lot of the cachers around here live.

--

Not Necessarily Interesting News

SeaTrout, did you attempt to appeal that decision at all? Maybe you should try! Post a poll, I'll say "yes, it should be approved"!! We've had a great time both finding Tony's cache and watching it travel all over Austin.

quote:
Originally posted by SeaTrout:

exact same rules as yours(different container though) and the approver would not approve it

no way to tell until they logged it. I think that

quote:
... I can quit any time I like ... really, I CAN!!

Candy (Moosiegirl)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

ArkansasBugMan,

Wouldn’t matter that there are no volcanoes in Arkansas… just soak the lava rock in water, cover it with seed, and.. ‘viola’! .. you will have created the first Arkansas Chia Cache! icon_smile.gif

"Remember... nothing is completly worthless...

it can always be used as a bad example"!