? about waypoints

Guest vwBob

well... sorry if this may be a dumb question, but here goes. when i look up caches here i see that they have the HDD coordinates and they also say "Use Waypoint: xxxxx". NOW, my question is, is that waypoint a specific location like the HDD numbers are? does my gps know where that waypoint is? or does that mean when i find it(cache), i mark it with that?

------------------

Bob

Cleveland, Ohio

... look for the green bus!

ok... so my question has been answered, but a new one arises. when one of us places a cache, and want to give it a GCxxx designation... how do we know if what we call it is taken or not?

If you click on the word waypoint, it brings up an explanation -

"Geocaching uses a suggested waypoint for a cache, created automatically when a cache has been created. Because most GPS units have restricted names to 6 characters or less, we generate a waypoint name based on the ID of the cache. It is optional, but makes it easier to locate a cache on the geocaching web site."

The suggested waypoint is created when the cache report is generated. This cannot be modified.

Jeremy

Guest cache_ninja

i think this would make a good addition to the FAQ if its not in there...people are going to keep asking i'm sure.

c/n

[This message has been edited by cache_ninja (edited 02-08-2001).]

ok thanks...

so when we stash a cache and log it here, a GCxxx number will be assigned automatically!

cool... later,

------------------

Bob

Cleveland, Ohio

... look for the green bus!