How many of you male geocachers were in Scouting?

I was a boy scout for a year, then later I spent an enjoyable season as a Sea Scout in Toronto Ontario. We went winter camping once, I woke up at dawn freezing cold and incredibly miserable, my hands so cold that no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the fire started.... so... a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.... right... ;) I siphoned some gas from the snow mobile and had the fire roaring in a flash. Well when the leader climbed out of his tent and and said I'd just earned my fire making badge, my guilt fessed up how I really got it going. He just laughed and said I also had my badge for something else, honesty, ingenuity, or something. I don't remember. ;) Years later I was a cub scout leader for a while.

Edited by Northern Eagle
What do you mean "were" still am. Eagle, OA, Scoutmaster, now Quartermaster, Wood Badge.

I teach Archery at summer camp each year.

Rick.

Sure, you are Wood badge, and a 3 beader, but what patrol. Everyone knows there is one patrol that is better than all the rest.

"I used to be a Buffalo, and a good old Buffalo too........."

What do you mean "were" still am.  Eagle, OA, Scoutmaster, now Quartermaster, Wood Badge. 

Rick.

Sure, you are Wood badge, and a 3 beader, but what patrol. Everyone knows there is one patrol that is better than all the rest.

wbtotembearright.gif

You mean there are other patrols??? I thought those other guys were just tagging along...

SR-347 at Zastro on Philmont Scout Ranch, June, 2000.

Eagled in 76 at 13 years. OA from there. Then Adventured some. Now have 2 boys in scouting and am assistant SM. To be honest, it's more fun the second time around. We do a good bit of camping, hiking, climbing/repelling, etc. It's my excuse for exercise now but I enjoy passing on skills I learned (and should have learned) to the young boys. Just came off a 10 mile mountain hike and gave some of the scouts a taste of Geocaching. Now they seem hooked. Sure their parents will love me this Christmas when they all ask for GPSr :)

I did a stint with the scouts, Troop #14, Gaylord, Michigan, c. about 1977-ish. Having reached the Mighty Rank of Tenderfoot, I decided that Explorers was more my bag, so when I turned 15, I joined up with the new High Adventure Explorer Post #1 in the same city.

The highlight of my time with Explorer Post 1 was a week-long trip to Isle Royale National Park in 1980, in northwestern Lake Superior.

"This Scout Supports Ethical Fisheries Practices. All My Dolphin Is Tuna-Safe!" :)

Edited by Firefishe
Really Bigredmed?  I grew up in a very small Texas town, daily life pretty much consisted of being outdoors.  Personally I was never in the scouts, wasn't much need, we all hunted, fished and camped very young.  <BR><BR>Now in the city and I have planned on getting my son and I involved with scouts.  He is only 4 now, but it will soon be time.  Hate to think Scouts doesn't offer much for young men.<BR><BR>Any opinions from you guys still envolved?<BR><BR>Understand what?  My purpose?  You know that.  To find the Tower is my purpose.  I'm sworn.<BR>                            -Roland, The Gunslinger<BR><BR>

<Mildly Ranty>

The way things are going lately in the scouts, isn't it a wonder? All the bruhaha over the gay scouts thing? What is happening in the main governing body is, to me, nothing short of "lynch 'em high" attitudes--at least at the national level--being substituted for the necessary tolerances that modern society is desperately in need of fostering in young people; most local troops accomodate such matters individually, show tolerance, and set an example for doing so.

I am not overly impressed with the national governing body at this point, though. When considering what children are in need of being taught--my 4 rambunctious nephews included :) --I can think of few organizations that have, in the past, shown such promise as scouting.

I spent a couple of summers at a local scout camp and can remember learning many things, like earning my Totin' Chip card for wood-tool lore and use, a few Skill Awards (which have since been deprecated), and a merit badge or two.

These wonderful experiences notwithstanding, I think that scouting needs to grow up, get rid of the extremists in the national ranks, and go to a more moderate point of view. I think that our children need better representation for those people who are different than them.

Hey! I know ;-)...You can take them GEOCACHING!

Warm regards from,

Edited by Firefishe

Earned my Eagle in ~ 1990 in Troop 208. My Dad, also an eagle, gave me the Eagle charge at my ceremony - that was really cool. I was also a lodge Chief for Ty-Ohni#95. My family has historically been outdoor-ish so I'm not sure if scouting was directly responsible for my geocaching, but I'm certain its lessons and values helped me in building the life I now enjoy. As a result I now use my skills to volunteer for the local council asisting them with their IT projects. Gotta give back after all they did for me.

I have a lot of good memories of scouting. I'd be happier recommending it to others if the BSA wasn't pursuing the exclusionary policies so hard. It seems so senseless. Any kid who is interested in what the Scouts are doing should be allowed to participate if he's not causing trouble.

My point exactly! I just can't help but wonder what the Supreme Court was thinking? Exclusionary policies may not be unconstitutional, but the BSA sure isn't, to my knowledge, made up soley of right-wing, religious extremists, in the majority of their ranks. I don't think they really know what they're doing to the troops with a more moderate and tolerant attitude and practice.

I mean, really. Who ever heard of a right-wing, religiously-extreme LUTHERAN for example :) *ducking flaming order-of-the-arrows* <pun unabashedly intended> :) LOL

Fundies, Fundies, and more Fundies. Puhhhleeeeeeze! Keep it in the church if you must, but keep it out of scouting.

Considerately,

Hey! I know ;-)...You can take them GEOCACHING!

I'm not a guy, buy I sure am in scouting now. Did the Cub stuff with my son, and am now active in his Troop. OA this summer. District training team. As to taking them geocaching, I took mine on a geocaching adventure, and then we placed our own patrol cache. Just yesterday I got a call and was asked to give a geocaching talk at Roundtable in December! Cache on scouts!

I joined Cubs when I was eight, went up to Scouts when I was 11, then up to Ventures when I was 15. I became a Queen's Scout at the age of 18. (All Scouts in the UK are mixed boys/girls, by the way. [1])

After that, I led a Beaver Colony for a couple of years, whilst at university.

I am currently an Explorer Scout Leader, and I got my Wood Badge this summer.

And now it's Scout Post time again! :)

[1] That's not quite true. In fact, all new Scout Groups must offer mixed membership [2]; and a Group cannot revert from being mixed to being single-sex. Also, mixed Sections must be continuable up through the remainder of the Sections within that Group. So, if a Group's Cub Section is mixed, so must its Scout Section be; and, if a Group's Beaver Section is mixed, so must its Cub and Scout Sections be. All Explorer Units also offer mixed membership.

[2] That's not quite true. There are exceptions in some special situations, such as those where there are specific cultural or religious requirements for single-sex Sections.

Wow! No I realize why this geocaching stuff has aroused so much excitement that I thought was gone. Eagle scout, 1953, Order of the Arrow, 1955. On staff of Camp Steiner, 1955. Some of that powerful fun and memory stuff just won't go away. Spice of life!

1953! I believe we have a winner in the "Past Eagle Scout" contest!

What do you mean "were" still am.  Eagle, OA, Scoutmaster, now Quartermaster, Wood Badge. 

Rick.

well it is clear that on patrol is better than the others.

I ended as a Life scout and was only a few merit badges away from Eagle. I regret not making the final push for Eagle, but at the time sports and girls seemed to take a higher priority. Scouts was considered 'geeky' (and probably still is) so I kept a low profile of my involvement. Peer pressure is a hell of a thing for a 16 year old teenager.

I worked for a couple summers at the Camp Whitsett boyscout camp. Those were probably the two best summers of my life and I look back on it fondly. :P I'm even thinking about getting permission to place a cache atop Sentinel Peak which is a popular morning hike at the camp.

I was a Life Scout and was camp staff in Alaska (camp Gorshuch). Got all my Eagle scout stuff done except the paperwork :D . I am still bummed that I didn't get it done :D:D:) ... Had a great time then :D and now I am a Cub Scout Cubmaster. When my son goes into Boy Scouts I will go too (for the 2nd time).

Our pack was down to just 5 scouts a few years back. Today, we have more than 50 - the largest in the council!

Twice I have done a GPS treasurehunt for our Pack. Next year the council is talking about making it part of the Summer Day Camp activities. The cubs love it as it is easy enough for them. The dads like it because they usually learn as much as the scouts! (so far this has spun off 3 geocaching families!) :D

Northern Trekker

and Cubmaster in

North Pole, Alaska

Great thread to finally jump in and post.

Reading the thread brought back all the memories, a few tears and a lot of laughter. I received my Eagle Scout (or my mother did :D ) in April 1965.

National Jamboree - Valley Forge PA 1964 .. and World Fair in NY NY (whoo hooo)

OA - Brotherhood Member 1964

Philmont - 1965

Philmont - 1966 - First group to ever hike in the northern portion of the ranch. We hiked from Ponil north over Baldy and back down and across the Tooth of Time back into base camp. Nobody thought we could do that many miles but since it was the same group as the year before they let us try. I forgot the mileage, but it was a long hike.

I go to the BWCA with a bunch of Scoutmasters every other year. My son was only interested in soccer when he was a kid, but I have a grandson that I will work on when he gets a bit older (he is only 3).

I still sleep under the stars at least 2 weeks a year and still hone the skills taught to me during my time in Scouting.

Thanks everyone for the trip down memory lane!

Great thread!

I was in the cub scouts and the Weeblos as a young boy growing up with just my mom and sister. Enjoyed getting out with the guys and learning guy stuff. We moved around for a while and was unable to continue with the scouts but joined the R.O.T.C in high school. I believe both the Scouts and the R.O.T.C made a big impression on who I am today. :unsure:

Manyhatz

Was in Cub Scouts and Weblos in Pack 65 Mint Hill, NC and earned my Arrow of Light. Earned my Eagle Scout in 1992 with Troop 65 Mint Hill, NC. Also Brotherhood member of Order of the Arrow.

Assisted a troop in the town I went to college in for a year or so but lately I have not been active.

Boy Scouts kindeled my love for the outdoors with hiking, backpacking and camping. I am still an avid backpacker (don't go as often as I would like but who does).

Geocaching is a way for me to do short hikes around town, see some places that are right under my nose but don't ever pay attention to.

I did all of the Boy Scout things.

Arrow of Light

Eagle Scout

God & Country Award

Brotherhood

Camp counselor

Scoutmaster

Scouter of the year

In the early 80s, I became a Scoutmaster of a near defunct troop in Missoula. With the help of a couple of great parents (I didn't have a son yet), we brought the troop from worst to first. I actually got the troop's first blue ribbon at a camporee. It was, get this, an orienteering contest.

I can't begin to relate the significance of scouting to my success in life.

As a youth I only made it through cubs and to second class in scouts. However I became involved with the Cub Scout program with my oldest son in 1986 and have been a Webelos Leader, Assistant Scout Master, Unit Commissioner, then a Scoutmasterthe last seven years. We have made many trips with Scouts like white water rafting in WVA., Florida Sea Base twice, spent the night in a cave in Tennesse,and many more adventures too numerous to list. My wife and I work with a Co-ed Venture Crew and all we do is high adventure trips. The Crew has gotten SCUBA certified and will be going back to Sea Base in August to do some diving in the Florida Keys. I have been involved with the Scouts for 17 years and even though our kids are grown and living on there own I plan to work with Scouting for many more years because I belive it to be the one of the best programs to teach youth to become the Leaders of tommorrow. ;)

I was an Eagle Scout. (1979) Also OA. After the Air Force I was scout master for a few years and to this day I still get invited to all the Eagle Pinnings in town. Just was invited to one last month. It's always an honor for me. :huh: Just got a GPS so I've a lot to learn about caching. Also, I enjoy reading the postings here in the forums. TNX.

I made Eagle on my 14th birthday (1971), and was in OA. As soon as I got Eagle I became an Explorer and had way more fun because it was co-ed. I went to Philmont as an Explorer in 1972. The Explorer Post's focus was "Math, Science, and Engineering", and we did a little bit of that. But mostly we went camping and canoeing, once a month, rain or shine.

Our Exporer Post was at one time the largest distributor/applicator of Milky Spore (for control of Japanese Beetle grubs) on the east coast, and we were literally swimming in money. It really beat the crap out of selling XMAS wreaths :-) We all got a 10 day trip to Daytona and Walt Disney World fully paid for by the Post. Plus, every kid was getting paid $3.25//hour for laying down the stuff, which was pretty good dosh back in 1972. I was an Exporer until I graduated from high school, and never really held a "real" job as a teenager.

Every vice I have I learned in Scouts and Explorers. [stories deleted by moderator]. Its no wonder I have extremely fond memories scouting.

-Rick

Edited by rickrich

Started in Cub Scouts, bypassed Webolos and then entered Boy Scouts till I turned 18, then became a member of two different Explorer posts, High Adventure and Medical! Became an Eagle Scout at '79 or '80, was in the Brotherhood of Order of the Arrow, member of the Leadership Patrol and when I quit I was a Junior Assistant Scout Master!

I enjoyed all my time with the scouts and do believe that it help mold me into the fine upstanding man that I am today, along with my mom and dad who were equally involved with my scouting!

Darkmoon

Was in Scouting as a boy until, like most, cars, women, and other interests took over. Now I am a cubmaster for my 2 youngest boys and commitee member for my oldest in boy scouts. I am trying hard to get out troop intersted in Geocaching but the highest obstacle is aquiring quality GPSrs for a troop of 40 boys! Anyone with ideas?

Also, the site that lists current merit badges is at http://www.meritbadge.com

Rotorhead