How many of you male geocachers were in Scouting?

Eagle Scout in 1981, Brotherhood member of Order of the Arrow.

Currently the Tamegonit Lodge Dance team advisor, past chapter advisor, currently on committee of the best boy run troop in Kansas City Troop 495, Unit commisioner for another troop, Woodbadge class of C-19-00 High Flying Eagles.

Although things have changed the program still focuses on teaching young men to be upstanding citizens with high morals. I have yet to see an air conditioned dining hall although we are supposed to get on that can be heated in the winter. Some changes have been for the better and some have been instituted out of neccessity. Get your boys involved with a good troop.

quote:
Originally posted by webscouter495:

Eagle Scout in 1981, Brotherhood member of Order of the Arrow.

Currently the Tamegonit Lodge Dance team advisor, past chapter advisor, currently on committee of the best boy run troop in Kansas City Troop 495, Unit commisioner for another troop, Woodbadge class of C-19-00 High Flying Eagles.

Although things have changed the program still focuses on teaching young men to be upstanding citizens with high morals. I have yet to see an air conditioned dining hall although we are supposed to get on that can be heated in the winter. Some changes have been for the better and some have been instituted out of neccessity. Get your boys involved with a good troop.

We actually got AC in our dining hall last summer -- donated and installed by the local Rotary club !! When it is 95 degrees and 100% humidity during summer camp, the kids can use an hour or two a day in the AC (while, at least the adults can!).

Agree 100% with your comments!

Cub Scouts,Weeblo Scouts,and did not quite make Eagle Scout.

It has been 25-30 years since then and you are right they just do not do the things now that we did back then.

Pledge of Allegance

Prayer

Scout Motto

I know you all remember them good ole days..............

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/index

Arkansas Missouri Geocachers Association

www.ARK-MO-Geocachers@yahoogroups.com

quote:
Originally posted by GEO*Trailblazer 1:

Cub Scouts,Weeblo Scouts,and did not quite make Eagle Scout.

It has been 25-30 years since then and you are right they just do not do the things now that we did back then.

Pledge of Allegance

Prayer

Scout Motto

I know you all remember them good ole days..............

Don't know where you are Scouting now, but those standards are and always will be a part of Scouting. I do my best to direct the Troop I'm involved in towards the way things were done in the Troop I grew up in. The Pledge, the Scout Oath & Law, and Prayer were/are big players in both Troops.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

Texas Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Kitch:

worked at many point scout camp at flintlock on the c.o.p.e. course and the climbing towers....

as for my eagle..heck to much fun at camp and not enough work........maybe because my older brother did it first and I saw the hard work that had to be done!!!

I have been to many point a couple of times, nice camp you guys have. I can't remember which of the four camps I went to though, so I don't know if it was flintlock.

I only made it to life scout before I turned 18. At the time I was more intrested in having fun, than earning rank (I really regret not getting eagle). I also was brotherhood in OA. Since then I have been an assistant scout master since I get to go camping, and play with my toys (GPS, compass, NV...) more than I do normally.

Our troop is a fairly old troop, and once was lead by Hubert Hoover. It currently has 13 member that are active, and maybe another 7-10 that are semi-active. Our troop tries to do activities fairly often (last month was paint ball, this weekend is camping (we already have 3 inches of snow).

A couple years ago we skiped scout camp and did the Mickelson Bike trail (Black Hills SD area- 115 miles in 3 days). Otherwise we attend scout camp (lewis and Clark, Many Point, Medican Mountain).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Eagle scout '96, Brotherhood OA, Philmont Trek '92, National Jamboree '94 (I think).

Like Brushhopper, I earned my Eagle about a week before my 18th birthday. I was really into Cub Scouts and early on really into Boy Scouts, but like others have mentioned my interest wained when I got into cars/girls etc. I made a smart decision and decided to re-dedicate myself to scouting and earn the Eagle. It's something I'm still very proud of.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

This has been a great thread. Thanks to “Go For The Green” for starting it. There sure are allot of Eagles out there. BSA has given me a love for the outdoors. I remember one summer I wanted to earn my camping merit badge. There were a certain number of nights that you had to have, I think it was 30. I pitched a tent in the back yard and did it in consecutive nights. My scoutmaster couldn’t believe it. It was a great time. I will never forget that summer. My dad heated the house in winter with a wood stove so we had plenty of firewood. I made an ax yard and pretty much did everything, as we would while on a camping trip. Now with my family we don’t go out and build our shelter, thanks to Gods for blessing me with a good job we do most of our camping in a camper. My boys are still young and there isn’t a troop in our area so when they come of age I am planning on starting one. From BSA I found a love for orienteering. Each boy in our troop was best skilled at a certain area. Orienteering was mine. Now I am a CAD drafter making anything from a topo map to a bridge design. This also explains my love for my new hobby of geocaching. I have only been at it for about three weeks. I have found three and hid two. Some of the topics I have seen here talked about the differences between Scouting now and when they were in the Scouts. I think allot of the differences has to do with the Scoutmaster. My Scoutmaster made learning fun and “learned” us to respect our surrounding. Also the older boys were responsible for the younger boys to learn the oath, the motto, the slogan, the scout laws, the pledge of alliegence, open meeting with prayer, the outdoor code, tot-n-chip card and chain of command. These were the basics one needed to know. Also these are the basics that any man can and should follow as an adult. I love the boy scouts and wish sometimes I could return to those days. Thanks to the Grace of God and the experience of the BSA for molding me into who I am today.

Tahosa said:

quote:
Finished my Eagle about 40 years ago

I may have everyone in the thread beat as the earliest Eagle scout. I made Eagle scout in 1962! Also a Firecrafter, which is similiar to OA on a regional scale.

My trip to Philmont will always be in my memories, especially scaling the "Tooth of Time."

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

I was in scouting as a kid in the 70's and made it as far as 2nd Class or 1st Class (don't remember which). I would have enjoyed scouting a LOT more if there had been more activities like campouts, hikes, etc. AFter a while, I pretty much just got bored with meeting and talking. Since that time, I did do some helping with my Brother's troop. I acted as the indian for 'Arrow of Light' ceremonies, made an electronic finish line for their Pinewood Derby track, and made a softwqre program to keep track of the double-elim pinewood races.

I think scouting would definitely benefit from a new merit badge for something involving the coordinated use of GPS, maps, and compass. They need to stay up-to-date in technology in order to keep the attention of the younger generation which is growing up with Sega, cel phones, PC's, and DVD players.

Eagle Scout 1976, OA, Woodbadge, camp staff Scoutmaster, Cubmaster, Den Leader, CC.

Scouting was and still is the best youth program for young men. It has admittedly changed over the years as we become more Politically Correct....but it's still the best game in town. It is no longer just for young men, young women are now allowed to participate in many of their programs. Some of the changes have been a step up.

The values and skills I learned back then have served me many times over in my life. I look forward to Scout popcorn in the spring and Christmas trees in the winter. Scouting for food and the (required) citizenship badges serve our communities year round. Two-deep leadership has helped weed out the perverts and as long as the Scouts continue to be supported by the parents, it will continue to be a great program.

Yeah...Scouts are cool.

"Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!"

Great topic. Great stories. Seems we have a lot in common. I got my Eagle in 1986, turning in my paperwork the day before my 18th birthday. Seems to have set the pattern for how I do most of my work to this day. I am very proud of actually finishing it, though. I am sorry to hear many of the stories about people who dropped out for one reason or another. There were many times that I considered dropping out. Especially in my first year of college at 17, it put a damper on the other activities that I could have been doing.

But, I'll tell you, I have gotten more jobs and doors opened from that "Eagle Scout" on the bottom of my resume. It is like some great fraternity and has really created a lot of opportunities that I would have otherwise missed.

Now, I have two daughters and sadly will not be able to take part in Scouting with my sons as I would have hoped, but I will look back with fond memories. I was hoping to have a son, so I could go make 'brotherhood' while he is an initiate in the OA.

Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

Cub Scout, Boy Scout and Explorer Scout. Had to wear uniform on den and pack meeting days to school. Had official knife hanging from clip on belt. Nobody in school ever fainted. One day brought my new official scouting hatchet to school on a den meeting day. Nobody blinked an eye. Try and let that happen now!

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Eagle Scout (1983) Vigil Member of Eswau Huppeday Lodge 560 (ie my user name). Few jamborees, NOACs, summer camp staff jobs, Woodbadge (SE-359). Now a committee member but not very active.

Eswau

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.

Eagle Scout class of 1989.

The conclusion of my scouting experience was not so good. I earned my Eagle in August of 1989, but the award sat at the district office until February, the next year. It wasn't until a friend of mine earned his Eagle Scout that his mother picked up the award for me.

Another friend of mine didn't receive his award until he graduated from the Police Academy, some 10 years later.

Wow, I always thought that I was a pup in this group, and this thread proved it. I would have gotten my Eagle in '98 if I'd have had a troop. I was a cub scout, a webelo, and a boy scout, though only for about two months before my group disbanded. The scoutleader lost interest, and nobody was willing to pick it up, so I never even earned a badge. icon_frown.gif There weren't any other groups within a reasonable driving range(that being the distance my mom was willing to take us), so I didn't get to do any scouting things. I totaly regret that. Though I have always been into the outdoor life, and from an early age I was hiking(though in those days it was more of an exploratory wandering), camping, fishing, hunting and learing as much woodlore as my little pre-gelled brain could hold. It's paid off pretty well, even before I was in high school I could track (especialy usefull when 'counting coup' with waterballons icon_wink.gif ), forage for food (very handy in college) and even taste the weather. If I had the chance to go back, I would definitly have found another group and kept with it. Maybe I'll get to do that with my own kids in the future, though that's a loooong way off.

We all breathe liquid for nine months, your body will remember. - The Abyss

I went through Cub Scouts and into Boy Scouts. When the scout master and his assistant (my dad) decided the troop should be run like a Marine Corps Boot camp, the troop folded.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I put the Jeep in 4-wheel low and left the roads behind!

There's a fine line between Geocaching and mental illness, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

quote:
Originally posted by mufasa1023:

ya, i was in the scouts....well the boy scouts anyways...the first eagle scout meeting i went to felt too much like an AA meeting for me so i quit that day....my little group of the scouts had in it [descriptions of people removed by moderator]. Mind you this was all in elementry school so it wasnt a whole lot of fun to be in the scouts for me

[Edited by Keystone... let's keep this a positive thread, please.]

[This message was edited by Keystone Approver on November 05, 2003 at 12:01 PM.]

my apologies....didnt realize that the honest reason as to why I had left the scouts wasnt "positive" enough for other people to read...

I was awarded my Eagle rank in 1975 as a member of the Wallace M. "Pappy" Grube class. I am still proud of that fact but, what's more exciting is that my two oldest sons received their Eagle Awards at the troops Court of Honor last Saturday afternoon. My third son should be an Eagle in a couple of years.

Scouting while not for everyone, teaches "Timless Values". The boys and adults in my troop all respect the flag of our country and are not afraid to join in the prayers we say at the opening and closing of every meeting. They also know the meaning of the Scout Oath and Law not just the words.

60 youth and adult members of our troop will be attending the H. Roe Bartle Scout reservation this summer. If you are ever in the Truman Lake area of the Missouri Ozarks you should check it out.

I earned my Eagle in 1978. I was also in cub scouts. I have two other brothers that earned Eagle as well, one of which I'm trying to get interested in geocaching. My dad was the scout master for our troop and my mom was a unit commissioner. I've managed to get my dad to go find a few geocaches, he's not sure about his level of participation in this sport. Our family did go to Philmont one summer and my oldest brother was a ranger there for a summer.

These days I am the Assistant Cub Master for my son's pack. My son loves to go geocaching with me and I have taught him how to use the gps and how to navigate and read a map. The last couple of caches I've let him lead and find the cache. I think he will make an excellent Eagle Scout. I look forward to helping him on his way.

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

Now, I have two daughters and sadly will not be able to take part in Scouting with my sons as I would have hoped, but I will look back with fond memories. I was hoping to have a son, so I could go make 'brotherhood' while he is an initiate in the OA.

Aren't girls allowed in the scouts now? i thought I heard something about that.

What are the various levels? I have heard cub, boy, eagle, brotherhood etc... what are the differences age?

Just a couple of questions from a laymen that was never a scout.

My boy is only 4 months but from I have read here I thik it will be great to go through Scouting with him.

That's no Moon, That's a space station!

I was in scouting, got my Eagle on 15 April 91, at near 15. Scouting was all I did for a good 3 years - no sports, nothing but scouts. After Eagle, I spent most of my time as a member of Eckale Yakanen #552. I was honored with Vigil - Machelensin (High Minded One).

I, too, am enjoying reliving my Scouting days but going out and Geocaching.

Wow!! Impressed with the number of Eagles, and the number of Brotherhood O.A.

I spent four years in cub scouts, earned the arrow of light. Sit out a year then joined boy scouts. I earned my Eagle scout in '93. I had enough badges for three palms, but ran out of time. I was also in the band which caused me to miss a number of camp outs and meetings in the fall of the school year. I was also brotherhood in the O.A.

I went to the '89 National Jamboree.

I was a member of Troop 124 in Charleson, WV. After earning my Eagle I was an assistant Scout master for my troop for the next 5 years while I was in College. Then I had to move 3 hours away for work and have not been able to go back anymore.

I hope my son will get into scouts when he gets older and goes through to get his eagle.

Had a great time, great memories, and pricless skills came from my years in scouts. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

I bought a GPSr so the ladies would stop telling me to get lost icon_wink.gif. It didn't work icon_frown.gif.

quote:
Originally posted by Cat'N'Geo:

Not I, but I was in the army, that's kinda the same.

Kinda the same except the Boy Scouts have adult supervision.

I was in cub scouts and Boy Scouts. I quit Boy Scouts at second class and joined the Sea Scouts which I was in for about 25 years.

I'm currently the Committee Charman for one son's Cub Scout Pack and Asst. Scoutmaster for the other son's Boy Scout Troop.

I had forgotten how much that I like the great outdoors until I started tinkering around with geocaching.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

:D I am a second Palm Eagle Scout, Bro. of AO, and went to The Bridge to our Future Jamboree 1993, Fort Ap Hill, VA.... My Eagle Project was building wood duck boxes for the State of Massachusetts conservation program.. and if youir familar with Camp Yawgoo, I am a Sandy Beach, Bonzi Beach Baby!!!hehehehehe :) oh yeah also if you know Camp Yawgoo, there is actually a "JIM the Moose" Travel Bug! Edited by Natureboy1376

Originally posted by Dru Morgan: Now, I have two daughters and sadly will not be able to take part in Scouting with my sons as I would have hoped, but I will look back with fond memories. I was hoping to have a son, so I could go make 'brotherhood' while he is an initiate in the OA.

Aren't girls allowed in the scouts now? i thought I heard something about that. What are the various levels? I have heard cub, boy, eagle, brotherhood etc... what are the differences age?

There IS a Scouting program for GIRLS now. It is called Venture.

Instead of "Troops," Venture is made up of "Crews." A Venture Crew can be all male, all female, or coed, based on the desires of the group.

I tried like that hot place to get my oldest daughter interested, but alas, she didn't bite. I think my middle daughter will be a backpacker, though. Can't wait to get her involved. Still don't know about the my youngest.

Contact your nearest Boy Scout council office and they should be able to put you in touch with the Venture Crews in your area.

Edited by ShaneN4Girls

I (Chris) made Life Scout, and was inducted in Order of the Arrow. My first troop was in Yokosuka Japan, where my dad was stationed in the U.S. Navy. We went camping and hiking a fair amount as I recall. The high point of that segment was a world Jamboree that occurred during a typhoon. One of my current friends was apparently at the same jamboree, with a troop from Hawaii.

When we moved back to the states, I joined a troop in Lake Braddock, Northern Virginia. We hike, camped, or did something at least every month. As an earlier poster noted, it seemed to rain on 90% of our outings. A highlight was a 50 miler canoeing on the Shenandoah.

Since then, I've hiked, backpacked, peakbagged, and rock climbed. I didn't need geoCaching to get me in the outdoors, but it certainly is taking up my time of late.

I have a lot of good memories of scouting. I'd be happier recommending it to others if the BSA wasn't pursuing the exclusionary policies so hard. It seems so senseless. Any kid who is interested in what the Scouts are doing should be allowed to participate if he's not causing trouble.

I was a cub scout for a few years. I learned my appreciation for the outdoors with my family, however. My dad and I would go backpacking and hunting and my family would go camping regularly. I have to say I owe my love for the outdoors to my family rather than scouting. Not to put scouting down, however, but I suspect that scouting has made more of an impact on individuals who would not otherwise be able to enjoy the outdoors with their family. -Ken