How many of you male geocachers were in Scouting?

Excellent topic. I earned my Eagle Scout award in 1978, I'm Brotherhood Level in the Order of the Arrow, and I co-founded a chapter of Alpha Phi Omega at my college (a service fraternity based on the principles of scouting). The skills I learned as a young Boy Scout, particularly orienteering, map reading, hiking, camping and nature knowledge, have been invaluable to me as a geocacher.

Geocaching has re-kindled my love of the outdoors from way back in my Boy Scout days. College and law school and career demands had caused me to lose touch with what was really important to me. I'm back in touch now.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

Star plus badges, Brotherhood in OA.

After seening my stepson in scouts, I would not encourage it anymore. Really getting wimpy. Nowhere near as much fun as the frozen marijuana fights and the use of the Platte river bluffs as our personal bobsled runs. The summer camp now has airconditioned dining and the kids set up their tents on raised platforms so they don't get dirty. And this is in Nebraska for God's sake! If its this bad here, its got to be butlers on the east coast and personal masseuses on the west coast.

7 3 10 13 23 36 59 95 ...

Earned my Eagle in 1979 and was also at Brotherhood level in the OA. I'm currently giving back, I'm my son's Webelos Den leader and will cross over to the local scout trop with him this spring. I also Teach BALOO training and am the director of the Cub Day Camp for our district.

Scouting probably saved my life as a kid (I was on the path to making all the wrong decisions) I have no problems giving back now.

A182pilot

He who angers you, controls you.

Really Bigredmed? I grew up in a very small Texas town, daily life pretty much consisted of being outdoors. Personally I was never in the scouts, wasn't much need, we all hunted, fished and camped very young.

Now in the city and I have planned on getting my son and I involved with scouts. He is only 4 now, but it will soon be time. Hate to think Scouts doesn't offer much for young men.

Any opinions from you guys still envolved?

Understand what? My purpose? You know that. To find the Tower is my purpose. I'm sworn.

-Roland, The Gunslinger

I was in a troop that did a LOT of camping but didn't particularly emphasize rank. I earned enough merit badges to obtain the Life rank, but my actual rank was below that. Scouting was definitely instrumental in helping me obtain outdoor skills early in life. I think I practically memorized the Field Book (still have my 60's edition icon_biggrin.gif). I went on to backpacking, orienteering, rock climbing, and mountaineering later, and I was already using a GPSr for business and pleasure when geocaching came along.

worldtraveler

[This message was edited by worldtraveler on November 05, 2003 at 11:35 AM.]

I am an eagle scout. Made Brotherhood in the OA.

I was a scout master for 25 years. 4 woodbadge beads. I got to be the scoutmaster for the troop I started in as a boy in. Troop 777-Tucson AZ.

Best years of my live.

IWAP

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

[This message was edited by Lapaglia on November 05, 2003 at 11:44 AM.]

Hey Johnnie Stalkers, you need to check out the local cub scout packs and Boy scout troops, some are better than others. It all comes down to how much time the "volunteers" want to invest into it. I want to give back what I think I owe and I want today's boys to know some of the joy of things past that they don't get to experience anymore. How many can say they tried to start a fire with flint and steel, camped out under the stars, heck for that matter could even see the stars. How many kids could tell a deer track from a rabbit, from a bobcat? Do you remeber the sense of accomplishment you got when you started your own fire and cooked your own supper that you caught in the stream nearby? These were all things that I looked back on fondly from my childhood. I want my son and the other boys in my pack to experience some of those same joys. Besides all that, it gives me the best chances to spend quality time with my son and enjoy his growing up, it will all pass too quickly.

A182pilot

He who angers you, controls you.

I was in cub scouts but never made to boy scouts (we moved). I was an assistant scout master for my oldest son for a while and am currently involved in cub scouts with my next son. I will probably be in scouting for quite some time. I enjoy it as much as my children do. I think that scouting is an excellent organization.

DiverMan

Dive Down, Dive Deep

ya, i was in the scouts....well the boy scouts anyways...the first eagle scout meeting i went to felt too much like an AA meeting for me so i quit that day....my little group of the scouts had in it [descriptions of people removed by moderator]. Mind you this was all in elementry school so it wasnt a whole lot of fun to be in the scouts for me

[Edited by Keystone... let's keep this a positive thread, please.]

[This message was edited by Keystone Approver on November 05, 2003 at 12:01 PM.]

Got my eagle in '93. Brotherhood in OA. Was an Asst. Scoutmaster for 3 years. Was really, really active in scouting until I was 21.

I am not happy with some of the things they have done since I left so I haven't been in a hurry to get involved again. I plan to get involved again at some point because I think it's so good for the kids (it was for me) and without volunteers, only the kids suffer.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Michigan Geocaching Organization Homepage

I was in scouts, earned my Eagle rank at 16. Was inducted into the OofA at 17. Never regretted that feat. It has gotten me s few jobs in the past when I was younger. I miss summer camp and camping all the time. I was lucky and had a troop with about 7 of us who were around the same age 15-17. Recently, our local news here in Birmingham ran a story about a new memorial wall that will have all Eagle Scouts in Alabama since 1988. They are going to have a big ceremony and all, should be real cool. Had to use the good ol' compass back then, no GPS icon_wink.gif

" If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride...and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." Paul "Bear" Bryant

God Bless you and your family.

God bless

I got my eagle and three palms before I was old enough to not get anything anymore. I had a lot of fun hiking the High-Unitas, getting lost in the High-Uintas, hiking slot-canyons in Southern Utah, camping in some the coldest weather known to man in Wyoming. I taught Orienteering at a scout camp off of the East Fork of the Bear River in Utah. I did a lot of crazy things and got into a lot of trouble in Scouts but I wouldn't trade it for aanything. (Except maybe a few million dollars.)

---------------------------

Micqn's Stats

92 Found / 3 hidden

Numbers, Numbers, Numbers!

---------------------------

PlaYs WItH MaTCheS

I was in the scouts, but had a lot more badges than rank. I had more fun earning the badges than anything else, but didn't take it seriously enough to KNOW to shoot for Eagle. I regret that now!

Can anyone else here besides me claim the 5 mile swim badge? Do they even offer it now?

I'd love to get involved with a local troop & help out.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I was in the cub scouts until I got kicked out. For some reason they didn't think I took it too seriously! icon_biggrin.gif I guess thats what you get when you have to moms around running the thing. It felt more like the girl scouts or brownies most of the time. Wait a second, I never remember the scouts wearing brown skirts. No wonder my junk was always getting cold!!! bad_boy_a.gif

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

I was in the scouts, but had a lot more badges than rank.

Ah, yeah... I forgot -- I think I was either First Class or Star, but that's about the time I got my drivers' license. So, interest shifted considerably!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I was in Scouts. I made it to Life before I discovered girls and cars and became disinterested in Scouts. I never stopped doing "scouting things" like camping and hiking.

Looking back on it, I should've stuck with Scouts until I made Eagle, seeing as how I didn't have much luck with girls or cars in those years... icon_wink.gif

---Stats banner used to be here.---

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

Can anyone else here besides me claim the 5 mile swim badge? Do they even offer it now?

Wow! 5 mile? I have the BSA 1 mile swim award, but not 5 mile.

I was so mad the first time I went to camp. I said I wanted to do the mile swim the leader laughed at me.

Did it the next year no problem and gloated in a rather un-Scoutlike way.

---Stats banner used to be here.---

Started in Cubs at 8 years old. Earned my Arrow of Light, earned Eagle in 1983, was elected into OA, and had the pleasure of participating in 2 Philmont treks and the 1981 National Jamboree as a Scout.

As a Scouter: Woodbadge (at Philmont!!) and a Philmont trek in 2000, another Philmont trek in 2002, and a Troop that has grown from 8 Scouts when I joined as a Scouter in 1998 to 60 Scouts now.

To Johnnie Stalkers: I cannot think of a better program for young men (outside of church - not trying to start a fight). In a well run Scouting program, a young man is given the oportunity to learn how to be self reliant, how to work in a team environment, how to teach, and how to lead, all while having the time of his young life. Outside of my wife and children, I wouldn't trade my time in Scouting for anything.

Shameless plug for the Troop's website!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

Texas Geocaching

Cool thread! One that I can get really excited about!

I was in Troop 66 in Dublin, GA, which had been around for probably 20 years when I reached the rank of Eagle in 1983. I was just under the age of 16 when I got my Eagle and my bronze palm. I was the youngest Eagle in the history of my Troop. My cousin took my title from me the following year, though. And, I was initiated into the Brotherhood of the Order of the Arrow a few months prior to reaching the rank of Eagle.

Joefrog - you are the man with the five mile swim badge! I got the one mile swim badge, though. I also remember a "silent swim?" that we had to do at night like the Navy Seals, but I can't remember if there was a badge for it. I did get the 50 mile canoeing badge, though.

I also got the Polar Bear badge for camping two nights in sub-freezing temperatures without a tent. Seems like we were given a piece of rope, a sleeping bag, a couple cans of beans, flint, and pocket knife, and had to find a way to survive.

Back then, we went on a camping trip one weekend every month... and it usually rained.

When I was Patrol Leader of the Panther Patrol, we went to the Central Georgia Council Camporee (which is much bigger than a District Camporee). We competed against over 25 Troops, and over 75 Patrols and took top honors, The Presidential Award. I still have that ribbon! The other 3 Patrols in my Troop took 1st, 2nd, and 4th places. We totally dominated! One of the events was the compass course, which is lead by the Patrol Leader. I was the only Patrol Leader to stop on the exact mark!

I can't wait until my boys are old enough to start Scouting. I was fortunate enough to be in a Troop where the Scoutmaster and Assistant Scout Masters were extremely devoted. The Scoutmaster and even a couple of the Assistant Scoutmasters served for more than 15 years, and it was a rare ocassion that one ever missed one of our monthly camping trips.

I could probably write an entire book based on my experiences and mis-adventures while in Scouts. And to think, I wanted to drop out after my first camping trip!

Matthew 5:1-11

[This message was edited by btouch on November 05, 2003 at 01:22 PM.]

In the two days before my 18th birthday, I earned 4 merit badges to complete my Eagle requirements. I also got the Order of the Arrow.

After that, what with graduation, college, career and family, I didn't get out much into the woods anymore. Geocaching has rekindled my outdoor spirit. I've been hiking and camping again. This weekend I'm joining my brother and the scout troop he is involved with on a 50 mile bike ride along the Delaware Canal. (and there's also a few caches along the way.)

In some ways, I would like to become involved in scouting again but in many others I have become disappointed in what scouting has become and some of the so-called values the leadership espouses.

Kordite

ph34r my l33t kl1n90n 5k1ll5.

Me too! I'm impressed with how many Eagles are here: I refused on principle. I accomplished everything up to my project (with about 9 months available), when my Scoutmaster came to me with a list of 'suggested Eagle projects'!!! I was appalled! Obviously I refused, as the very intent of scouting is to teach leadership and individual initiative!

He was very, shall we politely say, peeved.

(Of course, from my high school 98% of seniors went on to higher education so that was the mentality... Of course they don't brag about how many immediate drop out, commit suicide, etc..)

I was elected into OA early on, but as my Dad pointed out, you spend enough time in scouting and you'll be inducted.

Oh yeah, my Webelos (sp?) group was the very first ever in which all of us earned all the pins.

I still frequently refer to my Handbook with all it's great resources.

Originally I was in a very old Troop 7, which then merged with the other troop in town, #88 to form 788. Pretty funny for a town w/fewer than 10,000 people.

Enjoy,

Randy

I have been involved in Scouting for almost 25 years including my time as a kid. I never made Eagle but I have pinned 25 of them on my boys. Concerning coments made earlier in this thred scouting gives back to the boys what you put into it. I doubt any of "My Boys" would say scouting was boring. We had fun, we went places, we camped 12 months of the year, we used the program to make good boys better.

I love Scouting and all it has done for me and all I have been able to for the boys.

We'll See ya on the Trail

Who knows, maybe in the future they will have a geocaching merit badge? I can see it now if they ever did that. We would all bust out our old uniforms that are 5 sizes too small that you have buttons about ready to pop on your shirt.

I think as a test, the next time you pass a male cacher try and give him a scout salute or handshake and see what happens. Youll prob get a hanshake or a blackeye depending on if he knows what your trying to do.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnnie Stalkers:

Really Bigredmed? I grew up in a very small Texas town, daily life pretty much consisted of being outdoors. Personally I was never in the scouts, wasn't much need, we all hunted, fished and camped very young.

Now in the city and I have planned on getting my son and I involved with scouts. He is only 4 now, but it will soon be time. Hate to think Scouts doesn't offer much for young men.

Perhaps its a bad council or a bad troop, the kids didn't get much out of it, hardly went camping, really dissappointing as I enjoyed scouts for most of the time I was in it.

7 3 10 13 23 36 59 95 ...

Well... I tried Girl Scouts, but didn't last too long. They kept wanting me to give them money, and then just sit around and do crafts.

Even then I knew I had better things to do with my time than craft. (That's to say NOTHING against people who do it, I just don't have the patience and would rather spend my time doing almost anything else!)

I suspect I would have had a much better time in Scouts!

I am always impressed with the guys who follow Scouts through to making Eagle and am considering trying to get my son (he's 8) involved in a group around here.

-=-

michelle

I earned my Eagle in 1992, one week before my 18th birthday. I was also Brotherhood in Order of the Arrow. I was the last Cheif of the Adjudimo Lodge because of consolidation. We always did allot of camping. The majority of the time making our own shelters. I remember at winter camp we made our own shelter. It was low to the gound and slept about 20. Of course, no fires in shelter but I will bet you that was the warmest shelter on the campgrounds. I give all the credit to our scoutmaster. While other troops were staying in tents, cabins, and other shelters pre-made, we always made our own. He also would make is hike our way into camp and allot of times he would give us a compass and a map and we would have to find our way in by folowing his pre-set signs and trails. We just had to find our way. I have two sons now and I am looking forward to them coming of age to join.

quote:
Originally posted by The Weasel:

Who knows, maybe in the future they will have a geocaching merit badge?

You know, that may not be a bad idea. Or at least, a GPS navigation merit badge. After all, I remember the HAM radio badge, and a couple of other technological badges. Is there a site listing the ones currently available?

Whatever happened to your avatar contest, BTW?

I understand that the old patches are collectors items now. I still have a patch from the National Jamboree in DC, my (now absorbed to something else) Choccolocco COuncil patch, and a few others.

Joel (joefrog)

This is a subject that I love to discuss. I am an Eagle Scout as is my oldest son. My younger son is a Life Scout and soon to be Eagle. We are alll Brotherhood members of the Order of the Arrow with my oldest son to receive his Vigil Honor at the next banquet. I am currently the Scoutmaster of Troop 51 in San Diego. Our troop is very active with over 60 boys. We camp at least once a month with many High Adventure activities such as rock climbing, canoeing, backpacking and white water rafting.

The secret to enjoying your Scouting experience is to check out several troops in your area. They are all different and have their own personality. In our troop we encourage youth leadership. The boys plan their activities and outings and then implement the plan. Sometimes it doesn't work as planned, but that is how they learn. Other units are more adult run which usually means a more structured and organized plan but I don't think this teaches our youth how to be self relient.

Their is also a fairly new program in Scouting called Venture. This can be a coed group of youths from 14-21. Many of these Crews are more High Adventure oriented than Troops and are supposed to be totally youth run. I am currently the Advisor for my son's Crew. For one of their advancements, they are required to use a GPS to find a location at night. Guess what we choose for them to find - a cache. We now have some new players and we always check out the local caches when we are in the backcountry.

I would encourage anyone that is interested in Scouting to give it a try. I have never regretted a minute that I have spent in the program and I love to see the things my boys have learned as Scouts. We are always wondering who has more fun - them or me.

Wow! I too am amazed at how many Eagle Scouts there are in this group.

I'm an Eagle Scout also, and was Brotherhood in Order of the Arrow.

One of the reasons I enjoy GeoCaching so much is it gets me in the outdoors much like scouting did for me. I miss all the campouts, hikes, etc.

We are a Scouting family. My two sons both went from Tiger Cub to Eagle.

My 21 year old son: Eagle with 4 palms (wearing silver and bronze), Vigil Honor, OA; 2 Silver Mocassin Hikes (50 Miles)

My 17 year old son: Eagle with 3 palms (wearing silver--and earned his 4th). Brotherhood, OA.

Me: Scout leader since 1988, including 4 years as Asst SM and 4 years as SM, now Committee Chair. Also, 8 years of Summer camp, numerous campouts, camporees, etc, Brotherhood OA.

Its the greatest activity for boys;-- sign your son up today.

My husband Dean is an Eagle scout and up until we started caching he used the excuse "I got all my outdoors stuff done when I was in Boy Scouts and no, I don't want to go for a hike." Caching has been wonderful since we actually hike together now. icon_smile.gif

I was a Girl Scout until I started a cabin on fire while practicing with flint and steel. About two months later I was no longer a scout. icon_smile.gif But my time there was not a loss as I still love to cross-stitch, explore cemeteries and identify wildflowers.

-Jennifer

PS- I know this is a MALE topic but Dean doesn't read the forums.

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

Also impressed with how many Eagle Scouts we have.

Initial entry, age 11, Troop 98, Bad Kreuznach, Germany. OA Brotherhood and service as Archery Instructor at Boxwell Reservation, Lebanon, Tennessee and ended up making Eagle in 1973 while a member of Troop 534, Fort Campbell, Kentucky. A couple of troops in between but those were the main two. Stayed on as an Assistant Scoutmaster till I made off to the U. S. Navy.

Served as Scoutmaster of the base troop on the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station in Puerto Rico for three years. Attended the only (at that time) bi-lingual WoodBadge at Camp Guajataka along with those from Puerto Rico and the American Virgin Islands. One of the single neatest experiences of my life. (My undertstanding is this was so hard to logistically support they never did another bi-lingual program...lol).

Once I returned from the Navy life got in the way (and police work) and didn't do anything with Scouting till recently when Jeffrey decided he wanted to get into Cub Scouts and we are now proud Weblos. I wasn't going to try and force him to get into it, but was hoping he'd show an interest.

So the circle continues....

"Afghanistan was a battle. Iraq was a battle. The war goes on."

OK Just a few of my Bragging rights

Involved in scouting 25 years

Scout Master 10 years

Wood badge (Only two beads)

OA brotherhood

150+ nights camping (No Sundays)

13 weeks of summer camp

Backpacking 125 (miles total)

Canoeing 250 miles (total)

Eagle scouts pinned 25