How many of you male geocachers were in Scouting?

Troop and Pack 28, NJ.

Started at 6 or 7, until I was 19 (Assistant Scout Master)

Life Scout - missed Eagle by one required merit badge and the service project.

Patrol Leader at every level (Assistant, PL, ASPL, Senior Patrol Leader)

I was the Den Chief for my brother's Webelos den for over a year

Merit Badge Councilor for Computers Merit Badge for almost 2 years

Things that have helped me in Geocaching so far:

-Leave No Trace

-Identifying Plants

-Using a Compass

-First Aid

I'm sure there's more, but those are all I can think of at the moment.

I got my eagle in 1994. I finished everything when I was 14 and was awarded my eagle right after my 15th birthday. I followed up with three palms and OA. I have recently been an assistant scoutmaster with a troop close to home. Scouting kept me interested in the outdoors since I was young and I don't plan to give it up any time soon. They have a ton of cool merit badges now that we didn't even have when I turned 18. Too bad I can't earn them now but I'm also a merit badge counselor for 7 of them. Want to add the geocaching merit badge to my list. I would recommend the program to anyone.

I was a Girl Scout through Cadettes (seventh grade) but stopped due to changing schools. at 14 I joined the Explorers (now called Venture Scouts) so I was a Girl Scour AND a Boy Scout :)

I have two girls who are both in GS. I'm currently a leader to my older daughters' troop. The GS is very different from when I was a girl, but I suspect our troop was a bit more outdoor-oriented than the average troop back then too. I am making a concerted effort to not be 'just arts & crafts' to my troop, I want them to really learn stuff. Some of the stuff they are learning deals with the outdoors, but some of it is just plain ol' 'stuff you should learn to have a good life' like money management. I sent the following out to my kids parents at the beginning of the year as a note on my philosophy as a leader:

I didn't learn how to organize groups of my peers in choir, I learned it in scouts.

I didn't learn how to stay safe in an emergency in softball, I learned it in scouts.

I didn't learn the wonders of the natural world in science class, I learned it in scouts.

I didn't learn the value of a dollar, how to budget or how to earn money in high school economics, I learned it selling cookies in fourth grade in scouts.

I intend to share as much as I can of these lessons with your daughters as well, as is our motto "Be Prepared".

Oddly enough, instead of reducing the number of girls in my troop, it grew...

I was in Girl Scouts from the age of 6 to 18. Then about a year after that, I was a troop leader for a Junior scout troop for 2 years. My dad was a Cubmaster and a Scoutmaster for over 30 years. My brother was an Eagle and they both were OA. Dad also received the Silver Beaver award. Sadly, my own sons went through cubs, but didn't stay more than a year or so in scouts. My daughter only stayed 1 year in Brownies. My granddaughter, Lil Diva Hunter is now a Daisy Scout, hopefully she will stay interested.

Really Bigredmed? I grew up in a very small Texas town, daily life pretty much consisted of being outdoors. Personally I was never in the scouts, wasn't much need, we all hunted, fished and camped very young.

Now in the city and I have planned on getting my son and I involved with scouts. He is only 4 now, but it will soon be time. Hate to think Scouts doesn't offer much for young men.

Any opinions from you guys still envolved?

Understand what? My purpose? You know that. To find the Tower is my purpose. I'm sworn.

-Roland, The Gunslinger

My opinion, for what its worth, is that the program is what you make of it. Is it a bit 'softer' than it was when I was a boy? Yes. Is it better to get the boys out into the outdoors instead of lying in front of the TV or Wii all day? Absolutely. My troop camps every month in a variety of places. A dozen of us are heading to the National Jamboree next year where we'll go whitewater rafting, rappelling on 1000' cliffs (yes, thousand), tackle zip lines over a mile long, and much more. The mission of scouting is to prepare our young men to make moral and ethical choices, promote citizenship, and personal fitness. I believe the program still does that and is one of the finest organizations for youth in the country. At 102 years old we must be doing something right to have survived so long. So please do yourself and your son a favor and check out your local packs. If you're not happy with what you see, check out a different one. If you're still not happy then contact me (DubbleG) and I'll try to help you find a good fit. But please don't pass up the opportunity.

Who knows, maybe in the future they will have a geocaching merit badge? I can see it now if they ever did that. We would all bust out our old uniforms that are 5 sizes too small that you have buttons about ready to pop on your shirt.

I think as a test, the next time you pass a male cacher try and give him a scout salute or handshake and see what happens. Youll prob get a hanshake or a blackeye depending on if he knows what your trying to do.

The future is now. They have a Geocaching merit badge today.

What do you mean "were" still am. Eagle, OA, Scoutmaster, now Quartermaster, Wood Badge.

I teach Archery at summer camp each year.

Rick.

Sure, you are Wood badge, and a 3 beader, but what patrol. Everyone knows there is one patrol that is better than all the rest.

"I used to be a Buffalo, and a good old Buffalo too........."

But now that you're finished Buffaloing, do you know what to do? :rolleyes:

I'm a Buffalo too!

What do you mean "were" still am. Eagle, OA, Scoutmaster, now Quartermaster, Wood Badge.

I teach Archery at summer camp each year.

Rick.

Sure, you are Wood badge, and a 3 beader, but what patrol. Everyone knows there is one patrol that is better than all the rest.

"I used to be a Buffalo, and a good old Buffalo too........."

But now that you're finished Buffaloing, do you know what to do? :rolleyes:

I'm a Buffalo too!

Beaver Patrol here. SR941.

Cub Scouts on up to Explorers.

Only in it for the camping in Army Surplus tents & sleeping bags and Swiss Miss around the campfire while waiting for aforementioned equipment to dry out so I could get some sleep. I figured it really was a conspiracy by my parents to sucker me into leaving home so they could get some peace and quiet. Now I camp when I can and Army Surplus isn't in my kit, excepting my Russian Army Knife, which is brilliant (btw, why does it have a corkscrew?!?)

I made it to Star plus a few badges. Currently an ASM. I feel that scouting taught me a lot of survival, camping, hiking, first aid, etc. More thank I could have learned elsewhere. My son will be Star here pretty soon after he finishes off a few merit badges.

Our troop camps every month and we do a high adventure trip every year. Last year we went thru the Boundary Waters and this year it is Philmont Scout Ranch. These are some of the best times I have had. We also try to keep the boys engaged with the their advancements, 36 Eagle Scouts in the 21 year history of the troop.

Earned my Gold Award in Girl Scouting. I was fortunate to grow up with 5 Girl Scout camps within 10 miles of my house, so my troop held our meetings at one of the camps and we were really into outdoors activities.

I was also a Venture Scout for a year in college. A group of my friends joined just because we wanted to do a lot of camping and we even did a short trek in Philmont in '99.

Cub scouts, webelos and made it three weeks in Boy Scouts and could not put up with the click of a-holes that were there. Life is to short to put up with stupid people.

My fondest memories of cub scout day camp was the shooting range. Growing up in a farming family, I already had a lot of experience with a rifle at 10 years old. It was fun having a leg up on the city kids for a change!

Edited by DontPanic67

I enjoyed the outdoor aspects of scouting -- hiking, camping, canoeing, and the works. I wasn't much for merit badges and rank, so although I was in it for a while, I never made it past first class.

I had a lot of fun as a cub scout. When I moved up to boy scouts, I first joined the local troop, but I was way younger than the older teens who were in the troop and never really fit in. I eventually left. (I would have left sooner if their plans for a snipe hunt had gone through, but apparently someone took mercy on me and put the kibosh on it.) I later joined a bigger, more active troop that had a wider range of ages and had a much better time.

I eventually quit going when I had to get a part time job and didn't have time for both. But I enjoyed it while I was in. If I ever get around to producing a male heir, I hope he'll be interested in it.

I enjoyed it as a kid. I went through cub scouts, Webelos and boy scouts. Got as far as Life in rank, and then like others, I discovered girls. I did attend their outdoor activities like hiking and camping, but passed on the indoor meetings. When my oldest son was of scouting age, I was a scoutmaster for a few years. Since then, don't have much to do with them.

Times change and attitudes change -- mine. I've come to the point where I can't support scouting any more. The organization's politcal stance against gays and non-believers is unconscionable. I just can't understand why they must take such hateful positions.

ETA -- I do acknowledge that most scouts and local leaders are wonderful people, and that I have several caching friends that are involved in the scouting program.

Edited by Earl B. Fisk

I went all the way through Girl Scouting earning the Curved Bar as a Senior Girl Scout. That was the highest rank. My husband was in Boy Scouts but not that long. We have three sons. The first two made Life Scout but just needed the project to complete Eagle. Nagging didn't work and now they wish they had completed the project. Both were in the Order of the Arrow. The youngest also went through Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts until his brothers were out of it and he wanted to do things with them instead. My husband and I were both Cubmasters and I have been a Brownie and Jr. Girl Scout leader, then a Wolf, Bear,and Webelo leader at different times. I lead a Cub Scout group every year at Day Camp. I didn't become a Scoutmaster because I really feel that's the age when boys need male role models. My boys had a wonderful Scoutmaster who did a lot of outdoor activities including with them. They went to Fellheimer and Ingersoll primitive Scout camps every summer as well as the National Jamboree at Ft. A.P. Hill. While I feel crafts is an important part of Scouting it's not the only part. You just have to ask the boys what they want to accomplish then help them realize their goals. Now that our kids are grown and we're retired, we try to get out every weekend to hike and cache.

Never a Scout, but I've been a Scouter (Den Leader, Cubmaster, and Troop Committee Chair) for the last 5 years. My oldest son, who didn't do Cubs, reached Star. And my youngest son just bridged to the Troop last month. He's really looking forward to all the activities the Troop has planned. And even better that his older brother volunteered to become one of the Troop's ASM.

Scouting is a great program, though not for everyone, and I'm glad our family became a part of it.

Started at tiger and am a Life Scout working towards his Eagle. Venture scout as well. Brotherhood of OA at Lenapehoking Lodge IX. Sea Base this summer and staffing the 2013 Jamboree (hopefully Philmont '14). Boy Scouting is what brought me into geocaching, and I'm sure glad my parents signed me up in 1st grade. Of the greatest things that happened to me that I'll sure pass on to my sons.

Girl Scout here! I started as a Pixie (that was the pilot program for Daisy scouts in St. Louis) and went all the way to Seniors. I spent my last 4 years as a member of a Mounted Girl Scout Troop, one of the last. We weren't so into the badges with all the horse stuff to do, but I did get my Silver Award in Cadettes. My parents were both old school scouts, so we did a lot of camping. Dad is the Eagle Scout of the family, and I'm hoping my boys will make it. I was a Cub leader for my oldest and served on the committee...I've stepped back while my kid is in Boy Scouts. He's currently at First Class. My little guy will be ready for Cubs in another year, I can't wait t get him started.

I want my kid to earn the geocaching badge, but he's not into it. His troop does camp every month, so he enjoys being outdoors, he just doesn't understand why I'd want to look for boxes of crap in the woods.

I became an Eagle in the late 80's and earned 3 palms. I was also a member of the OA. We started Geocaching last summer when my oldest son earned the merit badge at summer camp. I am now the Scoutmaster of his troop and was recently approved to teach the Geocaching merit badge.

My youngest son just joined the troop and the oldest is currently a Life scout.

I have been reading the boards for a while, but this is my first post. Thanks for the great community and information sharing among the members here.