How many of you male geocachers were in Scouting?

Eagle Scout here. I almost didn't make because I had a scoutmaster who thought the only way to advance was to go camping all the time and held me back from Life and tried again (sorry I was an honor student and did a lot of school activities...shees) until the parent council overruled him.

Luckily I moved to a new state and got with a troop where the scoutmaster bent over backwards to get me to my court of review before the age deadline.

Not sure how far I got but I did girlscouts. Didn't last very long into life. It was mostly focused on arts and crafts type things and selling wrapping paper and cookies (which is really hard to do rurally). Now it seems mostly parents do the selling of stuff. Not sure what they do as troops anymore here because not many people are involved in it.

I heard rumors from my mom that they did more wilderness stuff in her day.

Love the outdoors now because I spent time there with my dad and mom as a kid camping, hunting, and fishing.

1997 Eagle Scout

Vigil OA

I hope to get involved again soon. I have a merit badge counselor application sitting here at my desk I need to take in sometime. I would like to help out with a local troop sometime soon too, but I am possibly going to be switching jobs and need to see what my schedule will be like first.

I was in Cub Scouts for 5 or 6 years.

Was in Boy Scouts for 1 year. We went on weekend camping trips and hikes but never did anything towards earning merit badges so I ended up quitting out of frustration.

I've got a lot of respect for those that volunteer their time to be counselors and mentors with programs like Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4-H and FFA. Its always good for kids to have adult role models besides family members.

Was in troop 233 in Independence, Mo and achieved the rank of Eagle in 1985. I am also a firebuilder in the Tribe of Mic-o-Say, which is an honor camper program similar in concept to OA. Went to Philmont in 1981 and attended summer camp at H. Roe Bartle Scout reservation 7 years. Numerous overnites, float trips and all the merit badge and skill award classes. Lots of memories. A special thanks to all the leaders who gave of your time.

Edited by EQL

Screw all that, I was a Hungarian Scout! Basically scouting but in Hungarian in the USA and a lot more hard core- think had to go into the woods for ten days and build our furniture out of logs and twine hard core after age 10. Let's just say I've never done anything half as hard when it came to camping since, and I include camping for several weeks through Africa. :P

I also remember the first day I got a GPS thinking "gee, this really would have saved me a LOT of time during scouting!" :lol:

I'm kind of curious as I was in scouts and earned Eagle Scout in 1986. I remember a lot of what I learned at summer camp being used in various ways in geocaching. <BR><BR>How many of you guys were Boy Scouts, and how far did you get?<BR><BR>How many of the ladies here were in Girl Scouts and how far did you get in it?

I'm still in scouting, in fact I'm doing my eagle project next Saturday!

Our whole family, DH included, are registered Girl Scouts. I'm saddened to see that so many left because 'it was just doing crafts'. Not too surprised at the complaints about the fund raising; I'm not participating in any of that anymore and will find a different way to finance the troop activities. We camp, and our mixed-level troop is planning to go geocaching. Girl Scout Juniors can earn the High Tech Hide and Seek badge.

My oldest daughter is working on her Religion in Life award, and is on the path to her Bronze award. She plans to stay in and get the Gold award.

I was a Girl Scout all the way up to Silver award, then we moved and the troop disbanded. Growing up in a dysfunctional family and as the bully victim of choice at school wasn't great for my self-esteem. Girl Scouts was the only area in my life that made me feel strong, capable, and valued. We camped, we did outdoor adventure classes like high-ropes and climbing walls. I worked as a Caddie and as a Counselor at the camps.

Girl Scout troops are only as good as their leaders, and the leaders are only as good as the support they get from their Service Unit. Likewise, the Service Unit is only as good as the volunteers who do the work.

Eagle Scout (1989) here. I used my map and compass skils finding geocaches in my area before getting a GPS. I found several but never logged them and most have been archived at this time. As a scout leader now I stress the use of map and compass knowledge. Most boys will ask why not just use a gps and I ask what do you do when your only set of batteries is dead? Rob

In my scout troop we sold lightbulbs. Another sold fertilizer.

I see some Girl Scout responses, perhaps a moderator could remove 'Male' from the title, or a new thread for Grrls only could be started.

Eagle Scout (1989) here. I used my map and compass skils finding geocaches in my area before getting a GPS. I found several but never logged them and most have been archived at this time. As a scout leader now I stress the use of map and compass knowledge. Most boys will ask why not just use a gps and I ask what do you do when your only set of batteries is dead? Rob

I see some Girl Scout responses, perhaps a moderator could remove 'Male' from the title, or a new thread for Grrls only could be started.

Scouts in Canada have been welcoming young women since I was a child. Not sure what it's like in other countries.

Scouts in Canada have been welcoming young women since I was a child. Not sure what it's like in other countries.

In NZ there's Keas [ages 6-8], Cubs [ages 8-10], Scouts [ages 10-14] Venturers [ages 14-18], Rovers [ages 18-26]. Keas are a recent innovation—in my day I went through Cubs and Scouts before I "dropped out" (it was the seventies after all).

My son has had girls in both his Cub and Scout troop while his sister has gone the Pippins/Brownies/Guides route.

But getting back to the OP's query I don't know how much how much my Scouting skills has helped my caching as any skills I acquired at Scouts has been supplanted by my tramping (hiking) and SAR experience.

This is Mom here, on behalf of the menfolk. We are a Scouting family and that is where we learned about geocaching...during a talk about orienteering and GPSr. Dad was never in scouts, but has been a den leader for every rank in Cub Scouts and is an Asst Scoutmaster. Mom has helped Dad as an asst den leader and is on several committees in the Pack and Troop. Son #1 did Webelos and Boy Scouts, earned his Eagle and was in OA for a short time, now is a Jr Adult Leader. Son#2 started out as a Tiger, and is working on his Eagle project and just was certified as a BSA lifeguard. Son #3 also started out as a Tiger and is now a 2nd Class Scout. Son#4 has worked his way from Tiger to Webelo 2nd year. He is looking forward to Boy Scouts next year.

There is a geocaching merit badge now! This is the 100th year of Scouting and some areas have 12 caches with the 12 points of the Scout Law in them. If you find all 12, you can earn a Cache-to-Eagle patch, not limited to just Scouts.

There are good Troops and bad. Our Troop has several activities going on most of the summer. Winter is a slower time and harder to keep the interest up when they are stuck inside for the meetings. There are platforms at the resident camps here for the tents, not to keep from getting dirty, though. They keep the unwanted critters out of the sleeping bags at night! Most of the boys manage to be "grub muffins" just fine!

I'm kind of curious as I was in scouts and earned Eagle Scout in 1986. I remember a lot of what I learned at summer camp being used in various ways in geocaching. <BR><BR>How many of you guys were Boy Scouts, and how far did you get?<BR><BR>How many of the ladies here were in Girl Scouts and how far did you get in it?

I was a scout...our troop lost it's leader when I was at Life, never got anyone to take it on...so I never got to Eagle, but I had a great time and learned so much. Of course our GPS was a compass. :(

I went through the entire Girl Guiding program in Canada and even went on to be a leader for a few years. I've taken time off to get married and have kids but i'm really looking forward to getting my daughter into guiding next year and my son into scouting in a few years.

I was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout in my youth reaching the rank of Life. When I had boys of my own, they were both in scouting. As an adult I was an Cub Scout Den Leader, Asst Scout Master and Committee Chairman. I was also a merit badge counselor, one of the badges I mentored was Orienteering, Oh to have GPS back then...

I was in Girl Guides, but quit after Brownies. We never did very much outdoors stuff - the leaders thought it was too risky to let me get my cycling badge. And we had to wear skirts. Not my thing...

My dad was in Scouts until his family moved from the farm to the city when he was 14. Most of what I know about the outdoors I learned from him. He said his Scout group was the best at knot competitions because they were a bunch of farm boys who had to tie up their cows properly. I said, "You had knot competitions?"

Scouts in Canada is co-ed now. I think it was when I was a kid, but back then my mom must have still retained some hope that I would be a girly-girl, so they enrolled me in Brownies. I wish I had done Scouts. It would have been a lot more useful than crafts and selling cookies.

Really Bigredmed? I grew up in a very small Texas town, daily life pretty much consisted of being outdoors. Personally I was never in the scouts, wasn't much need, we all hunted, fished and camped very young. <BR><BR>Now in the city and I have planned on getting my son and I involved with scouts. He is only 4 now, but it will soon be time. Hate to think Scouts doesn't offer much for young men.<BR><BR>Any opinions from you guys still envolved?<BR><BR>Understand what? My purpose? You know that. To find the Tower is my purpose. I'm sworn.<BR> -Roland, The Gunslinger<BR><BR>

Well I've been involved in scouting for about 14 years as an adult. I've been to Wood Badge and staffed on three Wood Badge courses. I didn't progress all that far as a boy but have been Cubmaster, Scoutmaster and Varsity Coach. I believe that the scouting program when properly applied helps young men & women (yes Virginia there are young women in scouting) become self-sufficient, good citizens and future leaders. But other than that I guess Bigredmed is right, really not much to offer. :)

I was involved in Girl Scouts for several years. Yup, WAY too much arts ad crafts for me :anibad:

One of my daughters is a scout, though, and her group is more focused on skills rather than coloring (although, coloring within the lines has its merits, at times)

My son is a Webelo, he's been in scouting since he was 6 and I'm a Den Leader. I'm also the go-to girl in our Pack for geocaching.

It's cool to see how many of your guys are Eagles, but honestly, it's more of a way of life than a title, in my opinion. My girls are no less proficient in the woods because they can't earn a certain rank in scouting; they are submersed in a lifestyle that offers them exposure to natural environments and experience with some interesting situations.

I never had the opportunity to be in Scouting when I was a kid. As a young adult I was (briefly) an Assistant Scoutmaster for a troop my friend was involved in. When my son came along my wife and I founded a new Cub Scout pack of which I was Cubmaster for several years, but when my son was old enough to move up to Boy Scouts he lost interest so we got out. The pack we founded disbanded about a year or two after that, unfortunately. Just not a real popular activity around here, I'm afraid.

Last year we went to enroll or son in the local scouting stuff. Come to find out the one adult we met was overwhelmed and was in desperate need of assistance. I didn't care for the attitude of the parents in the group so opted to teach my son the skills he'll need in life. I don't think any of those boys in that group were having a lot of fun. I sure hope it's better in other areas. Maybe I expect to much? I don't know but this is not what I was expecting form the BSA.

I got up to 2 years of cadettes for girlscouts(brownies, juniors, cadettes). Bad report card and missed part of a year so no star for that year. In addition the older troops were really hard to find around here.

Camping trips were always fun to do. Kinda wish i had got to stay in scouting longer.

My son was a Beaver Scout for three years.

I was a co-leader for two years.

He didn't want to move up to cub scouts this year.

My dd has been a Brownie, and is currently a third year girl guide. It's been great for her, and she is obsessive about it. The badges, camping, skills. It's been great for her.

I'm kind of curious as I was in scouts and earned Eagle Scout in 1986. I remember a lot of what I learned at summer camp being used in various ways in geocaching.

How many of you guys were Boy Scouts, and how far did you get?

How many of the ladies here were in Girl Scouts and how far did you get in it?

I was in Girl Guides (Canada) and reached their highest award; the Canada Cord. Then I was a leader for my daughter's troop for nine years in the U.S.; and an assistant for my son's scout troop for eight years.. Also have five years of Canadian Army Cadet experience; where i did Outward Bound.. Love this geocaching cua it brings it all back.

I was a Cub Scout for a couple of years, but my dad was in the military and we bounced around a lot and never was able to finish...I remember much of it to this day. Once dad retired, I joined Boy Scouts for a year or so junior high/high school.

Forgot all about Scouting and got married. We raised 3 girls (all adopted) and then decided to go for some boys. So we adopted 2 boys as babies who are now in their 4th year of Cub Scouts as Webelos Scouts. I expect them to be earning their Arrow of Light award (highest award in Cub Scouts) in end of 2012.

As for me, I was their den leader for two years, then became Cubmaster for the Pack of 30+ boys. Scouting, coaching 3 seasonal sports, geocaching....oh, and work <grin>, keeps me pretty busy :lol:

I guess my avatar says it all :D

I volunteered my mom to be a den leader in 1972. I went through cub scouts and webelos earning my Arrow of Light. I entered boy scouts and earned my Eagle at 14. I went to Philmont in 1983. My mom went on to be awarded the Silver Beaver.

After college and a second marriage, my son comes to us in 5th grade wanting to join scouts. I now have a chance to give back. I am an ASM in my son's troop where I am the Eagle Scout advisor and troop chaplain and have completed Woodbadge (SR941, go Beavers).

So much of what I am today I owe to scouting. I wouldn't trade it for the world. The volunteer leaders are the backbone of the program. The dedicated ones make a great experience for the boys ( as they did for me).

I only made the rank of Life in Scouting we moved around too much and I ran out of time.

My son is nearing his Eagle rank all he has left to do is his Eagle Project.

I hope it is complete in the next couple of months.

Right now I am Scout Master of Troop 401 Creedmoor NC.

I was a Cub Scout, then Eagle Scout. Joined the US Army right out of high school.

Retired after 23 years of service in August, and here I am, geocaching with my 14 year old daughter. I just started this in 2010. I wish I had found out about geocaching in 2000 when it was new. Or least before 2008 when I deployed to Iraq, so I could've gotten some of the caches in Iraq and Kuwait. I really enjoy it, though.

Edited by BigChiefS4