How many of you male geocachers were in Scouting?

I am 15 and just earned my Eagle in June. I have 1 bronze palm, with enought merit badges to earn 5 palms, and I plan to earn 9. I am also Brotherhood in OA and the Chapter Chief of my local chapter. I have worked as a councelor at a summer camp (BSR), attended the 2005 National Jamboree, and will be attending the Philmont Scout Ranch this Summer. Scouting is a great program and not at all wimpy as some of you have stated!
Great job! I didn't read all the previous posts, but if anyone that said scouting was wimpy is mean-spirited as well as being dead wrong! :blink:

I was in Cubscouts, skipped Boyscouts and then joined the local Seacsout Explorer troop (late 60s). Always enjoyed navigation whether it was on land, sea or air (also have pilots license). My wife was in Girlscouts and she enjoys this hobby also.

Edited by Moparzz

Greetings!

I was a Cub Scout for a about a year. We didn't have a troop where we lived, so no Boy Scouts for me. Later, I was asked to be Scoutmaster for a troop that was having problems keeping things going. Did that for eight years, then took on ASM since my time was getting squeezed with other responsibilities. I've been ASM for the troop for six years.

Scouting wimpy? Not around here. We've been on a weeklong cavalcade (horseback trip at Philmont), several Boundary Waters canoe trips, two trips to Florida to swim with sharks, etc., at the Sea Base. We're planning on a weeklong geocaching/ghost town exploring trip to South Dakota for this coming summer. There is a thread asking for help with ideas for that, but not much help, so far.

I introduced geocaching to our troop last year. We're having a lot of fun.

I've seen Scouting change the lives of boys and young men.

Scouting can be challenging, but only if you want to be challenged. It's fun, if you want to have fun. It's all about attitude.

I'm kind of curious as I was in scouts and earned Eagle Scout in 1986. I remember a lot of what I learned at summer camp being used in various ways in geocaching. <BR><BR>How many of you guys were Boy Scouts, and how far did you get?<BR><BR>How many of the ladies here were in Girl Scouts and how far did you get in it?

Eagle Scout here. And Asst Scoutmaster for a few years. Good times...Hoepfully my son'll get into scouting, but at 1 month old, it's a little early for recruitment....

--MGB

it was through girl scouts that i went on my first backpacking trip, my first long bike ride, learned to light a fire in a rainstorm, caught, killed, cleaned and ate my first frogs and grasshoppers, learned to gather wild foods, make daylilly fritters, bake bread, learned my first squaredancing, how to lay waterbars across a trail, how to build a shelter, find my way out of the woods, sew on a button, and sing good harmony.

probably my best memory is sledding down a narrow mile-long run in the moonlight in the bitter cold and hitting that last pitch fast enough to go airborne before making the hike back up to the cabin up top of the mountain.

chopping wood while camping out at seventeen below. making a passable eggs benedict over a fire.

Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Explorer. OA Vigil memeber. Worked on camp staff 2 summers. Two sons who earned Eagle, one son who earned Arrow of Light (liked camping in Boy Scouts, didn't care about advancement). One Grandson who is currently a Cub Scout (I am still building Pinewood Derby cars).

Assistant Scout Master, Council OA Advisor.

Scouting has been very good to me and my family.

ClarkW

Cub Scout, P412, Brooklyn, NY 63-65

Boy Scout, T261, Farmingdale, NY 65-71. I was a Star, PL, SPL & JASM along with OA - Brotherhood. Scouting instilled a life long love of the outdoors. I particularly enjoyed winter camping and backpacking. I was awarded an Army ROTC Scholarship. Scouting was the major reason I was awarded the scholarship. (the scholarship board members that interviewed me were all Scouts).

I returned to Scouts as Assistant Den Leader and Webelos Den Leader, when my son became a Cub Scout. I moved on to Scouts and am currently the SM for T480, Sierra Vista, AZ. My son aged out in Jan as an Eagle Scout. Today he arrived at Northern AZ University where he will be an Army ROTC Scholarship cadet.

My daughter is a Senior Girl Scout. (Her troop still refers to themselves as Cadettes & Seniors).

We owe alot to Scouting.

If any of you are on the Scouting Forum, I am also Weewillie there!

Got my Eagle Badge a week AFTER my 18th birthday in '03. was an explorer for a time, attended the 2001 National Jamboree in Fort A.P. Hill virginia, an Assistant Scoutmaster, although i haven't been able to go to scouts for a while due to work (i love working for Kmart......) Never got into the OA.

Ever since i've been a Cub Scout, i've loved being in the outdoors. For a time i was afraid of Thunder and Lightning (a story for another day) which made camping even funner. I was the kind of kid that always got picked on (and still do, even at 23). Geocaching brought me back to the outdoors, and i love doing it. In fact, im going on a cache run today in a heavily dense cache area. I may break my record of finding 10 and DNF'ing 9 (some of those 9 i have already found).

Was a CUb Scout in Canada and then a Boy Scout with Troop 17 in Burlington, NC, back in the 70's and appreciate the skills and love of outdoors it taught me. My son (now 20) got into the local troop here in Florida but the troop leader was one of his friend's mother and the meetings were more into arts and crafts then survivial skills and camping so he got quickly bored and quit. Wish I could of pitched in but being a single pop and already coaching his soccer team and my daughter's softball my free time was spent. Wish he had a better experience, it really does help.

Only just spotted this one.. I'm a Brit, so will probably be talking a foreign language and of things and places you've not heard of!

I was a Cub Scout, Scout and Venture Scout here in Cornwall, gaining my Queens Scout Award before moving on to London to work at Baden-Powell House in South Kensington.

Then headed off up the Lake District to work an a campsite there.

Three years later I got moved to work as an Assistant at Gilwell Park, just outside London, later becoming Manager of Gilwell Park Campsite for several years. I gained my woodbadge at Gilwell.

We used to get visitors from 80 or so Countries every year and we would run events for 20000 Cub Scouts and Beaver Scouts.

I've been involved as a Leader on and off since. Certainly the "Health and Safety" aspect has made lots of Scouting much harder, lots more form filling before you can do anything.

I love being out of doors, hiking, camping and other Scouting type things.

and UK Scouting has been mixed across all sections for a number of years now.

Edited by Birdman-of-liskatraz

Yes, I started off in the cub scouts and went all the way threw that to the Arrow of light then onto the boy scouts and earned my Eagle badge in I think 92 but could be off by a year on that. I started in the OA for a while.

And yes I'm a master at the pine wood derby race!!! :wub:

I was born and raised in the BSA. Tiger Cubs to Eagle Scout in 1997. Order of the Arrow (Vigil Honor) and so on. I served as an Assistant Scoutmaster until our Troop died with my youngest brother getting his Eagle. Then i moved and haven't located a new Troop yet because we're gonna move again shortly. My sister has her Gold Award in Girl Scouts.

Earned my Eagle award in 1992 and went on to receive vigil or OA. I have definetly benefited from everything I learned as a Boy Scout. I am currently involved in my two sons pack and will most likely continue as many parents these days don't have the time for helping out. I just remember all the leaders that were there for me and want to return the favors for all involved in the pack today. I can honestly say that I feel like am still a Boy Scout at camp everytime I go caching!

Earned my Eagle award in 1992 and went on to receive vigil or OA. I have definetly benefited from everything I learned as a Boy Scout. I am currently involved in my two sons pack and will most likely continue as many parents these days don't have the time for helping out. I just remember all the leaders that were there for me and want to return the favors for all involved in the pack today. I can honestly say that I feel like am still a Boy Scout at camp everytime I go caching!

I was born and raised in the BSA. Tiger Cubs to Eagle Scout in 1997. Order of the Arrow (Vigil Honor) and so on. I served as an Assistant Scoutmaster until our Troop died with my youngest brother getting his Eagle. Then i moved and haven't located a new Troop yet because we're gonna move again shortly. My sister has her Gold Award in Girl Scouts.

The Troop literally died? or do you mean disbanded?

I was active in Cubs and Boy Scouts way back in the 60's. I'm a Star for Life.

Both my sons earned Eagle rank at 17. All three of us are Brotherhood in OA and five year Pipestone holders from Camp Seven Ranges summer camp.

I also completed Blackfoot Leadership training and served our troop as Asst Scoutmaster for about 2 years.

I maintain that even the boy who is only in Scouts for a short time will be a better man for the experience. I've had alot of young men that dropped out apologize to me later for not sticking with it. I tell them 'I understand' and remind them of what they learned and what they experienced. It's all good.

It bothers me when I hear about political groups that want to knock BSA down for their high standards. I would support any council telling United Way where to get off. If UW doesn't see all the good in Scouting, then maybe we should make our donations directly to Scouting and forget about the United Way Campaign when they come around.

:yikes: I started out as a Brownie, then went to Jr. Girl Scout, Cadette Girl Scout, Sr. Girl Scout and ended up with the Curved Bar Rank, which was at the time the highest Girl Scout achievement. I had some fantastic leaders! I wanted to give back a portion of what was given to me so in my early 20s became a Brownie leader and a Jr. leader at the same time. My husband and I stayed involved in Cub Scouting for 9 years, three years each with each of our three boys. He was Cubmaster and I was assistant CM, then later CM when he got too busy. I have had several other jobs: Den Leader, Webelos Leader, day camp leader, and popcorn chairman. Now that we're both retired with two pre-school granddaughters I can see the Brownies in my future once again. Two of our sons (who had wonderful Boy Scout Masters) achieved the Life Rank and Order of the Arrow. They had enough badges but didn't want to do the service project. They both helped other boys with their service projects and just felt they were lame projects. We didn't push them but they both say they regret not finishing. The third son made First class. Scouting opened up all kinds of opportunities for them. The oldest went to Ft. A.P. Hill on a once in a lifetime Jubilee experience.

Earned my Eagle Scout, but no palms.

I was in OA, but didn't initiate.

I was an Assistant Scout Master.

My son's cub master asked me if I would be interested in being a scout leader.

Here lies the problem. In Utah, it is a church thing. It is a 'calling' and I am not a member, so I cannot have said 'calling'.

Oh well.

Well I was a Club Scout in Pack 112 and got my Arrow of Light in 1957 and went into Troop 112 for two years before I went away to a military school and we didn't have scouts there I think I made it to 1st Class.

Then when my son moved from Cubs to Boy Scouts they started a new troop and I got involved and after a year became the Scoutmaster for the next 18 years. I just stepped down a couple of years ago but I am still envolved in fact Saturday to help celebrate my 61st birthday I went to an Eagle Presentation. It was the 26th for the troop and I have been to every one of them starting out in 1986.

I started out in Brownies then Girl Scouts then maybe Cadets but I'm not certain. It was a lonnnnnng time ago. I just remember it not being cool so I quit after sixth grade. Scouting was OK but back then it was pretty cushy and crafty and sitting around a campfire singing kumbaya with smores.

I recently found something that I call Women Scouts. It's offered thru the Michigan DNR and it's called BOW or Becoming an Outdoors Woman. It's all the stuff Girl Scouts should have been. In the last 2 years of going to BOW camp I learned archery and now shoot on a league, learned all kinds of winter survival skills, skiing, dog sledding, kayaking, basic GPS, and snowshoeing. So for me Geocaching is just another extension of the outdoorsy stuff I've been doing the last few years. I love the program and highly recommend it for all women (it's offered all over the US and I think internationally as well). http://www.uwsp.edu/CNR/bow/

i went from tiger cub to weblos and then just a little bit in the boyscouts. ROTC took its place.

The username is disturbing, and the avatar even more so. But yet funny, very funny. Oh, I was in cub scouts for a few years, and definitely Webelos. Not much in Boy Scouts, maybe from 11-12 years old, and another stint when I was like 15. Neither of my kids (9 yr. old boy, 14 yr. old girl) has been in the scouts. I guess it isn't too late for them.

Being English, I was never an Eagle Scout but I became a Queen's Scout as one of my final acts as a Venture Scout before going to University back in the early 1990s.

I was more than a little fortunate in that my local Sea Scout troop was tremendously well-equipped, both in terms of kit and, more importantly, in leaders, many of whom truly appeared to devote their lives to us often ungrateful youths.

Girl Scout here, clear through to Senior Scouts and a Lifetime Membership in the organization. I earned my Gold Award, which is the highest award given in Girl Scouting. :laughing: I'm signed on this fall to be an assistant troop leader for the first time, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I think what you did in scouting depended heavily upon where you were located and what your individual leaders were into. I learned a lot of valuable outdoor skills, even down to earning an outdoor survival badge that required us to spend a weekend outdoors with no packed in food or water, living off the land as it were. I wonder if they could even do that these days due to liability issues. =P

Edited by Scamp

I'm kind of curious as I was in scouts and earned Eagle Scout in 1986. I remember a lot of what I learned at summer camp being used in various ways in geocaching. <BR><BR>How many of you guys were Boy Scouts, and how far did you get?<BR><BR>How many of the ladies here were in Girl Scouts and how far did you get in it?

Eagle Scout 1980 than Marine 1982-90 :lol:

Happy Hunting!

I was a Brownie and Girl Guide and always found our trips were pampered and 'girlie'. I didn't learn any outdoor skills. In brownies they taught table setting, and a good friend who lived in a small isolated town, got to watch a intructional video on being a good wife while in Brownies (this is in the 90's. by the way). The only good part about my years in Guides was the cookies.

Girls in Canada are now allowed to join Boy Scouts (So I guess it's not boy scouts anymore)

I must note here that while geocaching allows gays and atheists, the Boy Scouts of America, a goverment supported organization, does not.

On my honor, I will do my best..... to not derail this angst free thread by commenting any further on your post.

After many years of being away from Scouting, I'm now an assistant den leader for my nephews Wolf den.

I must note here that while geocaching allows gays and atheists, the Boy Scouts of America, a goverment supported organization, does not.

On my honor, I will do my best..... to not derail this angst free thread by commenting any further on your post.

After many years of being away from Scouting, I'm now an assistant den leader for my nephews Wolf den.

When I was a young lad I wanted to be in boyscouts but my dad didnt give a flip. I earned the Boyscout nickname from my co workers. I would still say that the Boyscouts are fantastic for young boys and it builds great character.

Joined cub scouts 3rd grade and then scouts. Got a few badges but then moved off base (Pop's third TDY in 'Nam). Checked out the troop in the civilian territory we moved to but never made more than a couple meetings before chucking it.

Troops can be very different. The one on base (Travis AF Troop 91) was extremely active, we did a ton of camping (Lake Berryessa and other spots in the Solano hills) and summer camp was a blast. EVERYONE had a good compass, we all loved to compete and that led to lots of fun on the trail scrambling to be the one the Scoutmaster chose as trailblazer. Flashlight tag into the wee morning, lots of freezing our butts off when hitting the sack, vienna sausages (nasty) for trail snack, flies, dirt, skinny dipping, climbing rocks, tying knots fit for a Man o'War, man that was a fun troop. Yes, we made lanyards too. That's a given. We also learned to make a hiking staff (the right way), how to carry a pal with a bad ankle sprain, what bushes NOT to go into and why, and a thousand other things kids need to know to enjoy themselves outdoors. I loved that Troop. And I was the perennial 2nd Class scout. No biggie.

However, the civvy Trop was (IMHO) overly concerned with rank and I was looked down on/ignored for my lack of it. In fact that's all they ever talked about. Didn't take too long to figure out they weren't for me. I still hiked and camped but on my own terms after that (which strongly resembled the Troop 91 way).

Thanks for this thread. It gave me a chance to look back at that time and how enjoyable it all was - and how the heck did I survive it? :)

Edited by team_goobie

Joined cub scouts 3rd grade and then scouts. Got a few badges but then moved off base (Pop's third TDY in 'Nam). Checked out the troop in the civilian territory we moved to but never made more than a couple meetings before chucking it.

Troops can be very different. The one on base (Travis AF Troop 91) was extremely active, we did a ton of camping (Lake Berryessa and other spots in the Solano hills) and summer camp was a blast. EVERYONE had a good compass, we all loved to compete and that led to lots of fun on the trail scrambling to be the one the Scoutmaster chose as trailblazer. Flashlight tag into the wee morning, lots of freezing our butts off when hitting the sack, vienna sausages (nasty) for trail snack, flies, dirt, skinny dipping, climbing rocks, tying knots fit for a Man o'War, man that was a fun troop. Yes, we made lanyards too. That's a given. We also learned to make a hiking staff (the right way), how to carry a pal with a bad ankle sprain, what bushes NOT to go into and why, and a thousand other things kids need to know to enjoy themselves outdoors. I loved that Troop. And I was the perennial 2nd Class scout. No biggie.

However, the civvy Trop was (IMHO) overly concerned with rank and I was looked down on/ignored for my lack of it. In fact that's all they ever talked about. Didn't take too long to figure out they weren't for me. I still hiked and camped but on my own terms after that (which strongly resembled the Troop 91 way).

Thanks for this thread. It gave me a chance to look back at that time and how enjoyable it all was - and how the heck did I survive it? :o

Boy Scouts skinny dipping? Yikes, that makes me shutter in today's world. I want no part of my Scouts skinny dipping. "Put your swimming trunks on!"

Sounds like you had a Scoutmaster who was involved for the right reasons. My viewpoint is that first and foremost - a Scout should have fun! That's why geocaching is such a good addition to the Scouting program.

By the way, years ago, I noticed that in most of his photos, Lord Baden-Powell had a hiking staff in his hand. I also noticed it was never the same staff. I did a bunch of research and got his recommendations for making a staff. Then I really hunted for clear photos showing that staff. Then I made what I felt was a staff that he would carry. It is not the most comfortable staff I have ever created. I'd be interested in how close it is to the staff you made those many years ago.