How many of you male geocachers were in Scouting?

I earned my Eagle award in 1971 as a member of Troop 251, Pioneer District, Miami Council at Wright-Patterson AFB (outside Dayton OH). Senator John Glenn was the keynote speaker at the council's Eagle Award recognition dinner - his brief and concise recounting of the Scout Law and its application in our lives was riveting.

The teamwork, hard work, friendships, and fun I had along the way to earning that award convinced me I can do about anything I set my mind to. I was blessed to be in a troop guided by men who purposed to build character and competence. They were my friends' dads, my own dad... I was fortunate to be the recipient of the care and instruction of my elders, in detail, of what it means to be trustworthy, loyal, brave... and all the other values that combine to produce young men who go out to build up their communities, rather than tear them down.

Sure there's some things that seem unpalatable about the standards Scouting holds as basic tenets today... especially if they weren't values you were raised with. For me, they're as right today as they were when they were written. And, when there's a tough job to be done and I have to choose those who will stand with me to get it done, all other things being equal I'll choose the Eagle Scout. They've been through one crucible already... and modern history shows they've got the stuff to be successful over and over again.

I was an eagle scout and have used alot of what I learned from an old scout master Seymor Weeks in Torrington, CT. TOOO MANY YEARS ago I have tought some scouting skills in the cub scout day camp here in CT last year and hope to do it again this year. I was also in the order of the arrow can still remember that induction.

Edited by gjr79601

I became an Eagle Scout in 1979 as a member of troop 302 out of Marquette Michigan. I also had the great fortune to work at Boy Scout Camp Hiawatha for 5 summers as a camp counselor. Some of the merit badges I taught at camp were wilderness survival, orienteering, and pioneering. These are all skills that often come into play while caching. I thoroughly enjoyed scouts and I am sure that experience laid the groundwork for my enjoyment of caching.

I received my Eagle in 1970 and received my OA Vigil around the same time. I went camping whenever I could and spent most of my teenage years working at Boy Scout summer camps. It was a great time.

I got back into Scouting when my son joined Cub Scouts. A friend, who I worked with at summer camp, contacted me and talked me into becoming a Unit Commissioner. He told me it would only take up 1 hour a week. B) I am now a District Commissioner and only have 1 hour a week to cache. B)

If any of you past Scouters live on Long Island, NY and would like to get back into Scouting, let me know. We may have a place for you to help out.

If you are an Eagle Scout in Suffolk County register on line with the local NESA at www.sccbsa.org.

Made Eagle Scout in 1980, added 5 palms (wearing Silver and Gold), two religious emblems, Brotherhood in Order of the Arrow, Shaman in Mic-o-Say, became Assistant Scoutmaster in high school and college.

After getting married, I took a break, then 5 years ago my twin sons were old enough to join. Several positions since then, and I've introduced geocaching to two Cub Scout packs and a Boy Scout troop. Completed WoodBadge (that's where the AgileFox comes from) and just earned the District Award of Merit.

Scouts shaped my life and I'm happy to say, I've been trying to give back ever since. It's all in the quality of leaders, and if you can't find one... BE one!

Edited by agilefox

By the way, there has been quite a bit of discussion of a GPS merit badge or recognition of the technology by Boy Scouts, but did you know there was a geocaching course at the last National Jamboree?

From press releases: "During Boy Scouts of America's 2005 National Scout Jamboree, a course for advanced navigation skills through the use of GPS receivers with a learning experience through geocaching, which they described as similar to a high-tech treasure hunt.

During Jamboree geocaching missions, Scouts armed themselves with GPSrs to find locations where caches were hidden with fun finds and collectible prizes inside. Scouts who participate will receive a commemorative Jamboree geocaching card certified by the Boy Scouts of America.

Dr. Mary Stevens, an avid geocacher who mapped out the Jamboree's first-ever geocaching courses this year, and is vice president of programs for the Marin Council BSA in California, says teaching scouts how to use GPS through geocaching does more than simply augment traditional map and compass navigation aids.

"Scouting is 'Fun with a Purpose,' meaning there are multiple lessons to be learned through an activity," added Stevens. "The Geocaching program will educate scouts, promote teambuilding and reinforce leadership skills among the 11- to 18-year-olds participating -- lifelong principles that will carry into adult life. Growing numbers of troops nationwide are incorporating geocaching into their patrol, troop, and council activities. And now that geocaching is being introduced at the Jamboree, we expect it to join the ranks of rappelling, canoeing and swimming as one of the Jamboree's most enjoyable, rewarding activities."

Did anyone here participate?

I grew up on a dairy farm and my parents didn't have time to take me to scouting. So I had to wait to get married and have boys to join scouting. I have been a leader now since about 1992. My oldest son made eagle a couple of years ago and my youngest is a Webelos. They both go caching with me.

Looking at my handle, I am obviously not male, but my boyfriend shares this account and he became an Eagle Scout in 1997. I always thought since he was a Scout, he'd know things like knots and stuff. So when I saw him tying the canoe to his Jeep I asked what knot he was using. He said he had just made up the knot and they didn't really learn stuff like that from their leaders. From the stories he tells, it appears that his troop were the delinquents of the area (though not as bad as some others) and mostly spent their time at large gatherings being pyromaniacs and running underpants up flagpoles. It all sounded like great fun, and somewhere along the way he did pick up some good outdoors skills.

His Eagle Scout project was restoring an old cannon in one of the parks in our small town. The hole would have been great for a micro or small cache. Alas, in his restoration he was forced to close it up because people had been using it to stash drugs in.

Good thread! Reading the replies brought back some great memories. I was in Troop 403 in Sacramento CA - don't know if it still exists. Had some great summers at Camp Harvey West in the Sierras, including the Kit Carson Trek. I led the Beaver Patrol and made Life Scout (1967?) before girls became more interesting. <_< Shoulda Coulda Woulda.

Made it to Star Scout, Troop 24, Lindenhurst, NY. We had a lot of fun, and learned a lot and I enjoyed every minute of time I spent in that troop. By the time I was a high school freshman, though, I had developed a real love for two things: football and cars. While I was too young yet to get a license, I knew I would need some money to buy a car when I could, so I started working. Between school, footbal and working, I had no time for scouts...yet the things I learned in scouting as far as self-reliance, self-discipline, seeing a project through to the end, teamwork, etc., all continued to help me. I was never a great football player, but I put everything I had into it and had fun, and I finally got my car, and spent a year working on it before I could even drive it.

I joined the Navy, and found that those same skills helped me be successful there, too. And to this day, I apply those skills and attitudes to my work, and they continue to help me. Scouting truly is a lifelong influence.

I also was an assistant cubmaster, a unit commissioner, assistant district commissioner, assistant scoutmaster and scoutmaster in various places as I moved around in the Navy. I am no longer involved, but have the utmost respect and admiration for scouting.

What do you mean, how many of you MALE geocachers were in Scouting? I've been a registered member of the BSA for over 10 years and am currently serving as a Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner, Troop Committee member, and Venturing Crew Committee member. Geocaching fits right in! And surprisingly, my two Eagle Scout sons and my Eagle Scout husband go geocaching with me VERY rarely and reluctantly when they do. You'd think they would be just as interested! Oh and I was a girl scout growing up, I think I would have been a Venturer if they'd existed back then.

I am a Vigil class of '89 and Eagle Class of '90. here in Central NJ. ( Yes, I spent WAY to much time at it. ) I am still active with a troop. In fact, I introduced them to Geocaching a couple of weeks ago. They all loved it ! I was sure that some would, but the response was amazing. I am hoping to use it as a way of getting the troop to do more hiking. We will see...

By the way, there has been quite a bit of discussion of a GPS merit badge or recognition of the technology by Boy Scouts, but did you know there was a geocaching course at the last National Jamboree?

From press releases: "During Boy Scouts of America's 2005 National Scout Jamboree, a course for advanced navigation skills through the use of GPS receivers with a learning experience through geocaching, which they described as similar to a high-tech treasure hunt.

During Jamboree geocaching missions, Scouts armed themselves with GPSrs to find locations where caches were hidden with fun finds and collectible prizes inside. Scouts who participate will receive a commemorative Jamboree geocaching card certified by the Boy Scouts of America.

Dr. Mary Stevens, an avid geocacher who mapped out the Jamboree's first-ever geocaching courses this year, and is vice president of programs for the Marin Council BSA in California, says teaching scouts how to use GPS through geocaching does more than simply augment traditional map and compass navigation aids.

"Scouting is 'Fun with a Purpose,' meaning there are multiple lessons to be learned through an activity," added Stevens. "The Geocaching program will educate scouts, promote teambuilding and reinforce leadership skills among the 11- to 18-year-olds participating -- lifelong principles that will carry into adult life. Growing numbers of troops nationwide are incorporating geocaching into their patrol, troop, and council activities. And now that geocaching is being introduced at the Jamboree, we expect it to join the ranks of rappelling, canoeing and swimming as one of the Jamboree's most enjoyable, rewarding activities."

Did anyone here participate?

I'm on the professional staff for the Black Warrior Council, and we ended up getting 3 GPS systems that were used at Jamboree. A bunch of councils got them based on a lottery system from what I was told. We got two Magellan 200's and a 600.

Wonderful topic ! ! !

I am Canadian and a former Cub and Scoutas well as 12 years as a Scouting leader. I am currently the Administrator for my Group (3rd Douglas in Greater Victoria Area, B.C.)

I have taught Compass and other navigation skills for years to the youth in my charge and will now be showing geocaching as it seems there are many who are interested.

See my post for a similar thread - Semi-private Caches, limited to certain cachers? (not sure how to link a phrase in this forum)

Thanks

I earned Eagle in 1971 as a member of troop 258 in the San Gabriel Valley Council in S. California, and was a Brotherhood member of OA. Scouting laid the foundation for who I was to become. (I'm reasonably sure that was a good thing!) I'm amazed to see how many Eagles and other ranks have responded to this thread, but I guess I shouldn't be; geocaching is just the sort of activity that appeals to Scouts, both young and, um, less young. We were taught to keep our eyes open, our brains active, and to get our sorry carcasses outside whenever possible. Geocaching is perfectly suited to us. (Incidentally, I was also a Brownie; my mother was a Girl Scout leader in my older sister's troop, and I was dragged to all of their activities. I think I still have my beanie around here somewhere...)

I was a Life scout for years and years, but that was a long time ago. My town and troop was so small that we didn't have enough counselors to cover the required Eagle badges. I had so many merit badges that it was pathetic, though, just not the required ones. :D

Though we were small, we always finished near the top of every event at the Jamborees. I remember one event where we could only get up 4 guys to go, but we wound up winning the orienteering and volleyball events. Now, the orienteering I can understand, but I don't know how we won the volleyball event playing 4 on 6 the whole weekend. :P

Anyway, I learned a lot of good geocaching skills in the scouts. From orienteering to camping to safety.

Aaron

I earned my eagle in 1984 and was a brotherhood member of the OA. Spent several years as a den leader, webelos leader, assistant cub master and assistant scoutmaster. I don't know if my love for scouting led to my love for the outdoors or my love for the outdoors led to my love of scouting. Either way I enjoy both and that's probably why I enjoy geocaching so much.

My dad was an eagle scout and also loved the outdoors. If he was still alive I'm sure he'd love geocaching too.

I'm kind of curious as I was in scouts and earned Eagle Scout in 1986. I remember a lot of what I learned at summer camp being used in various ways in geocaching. <BR><BR>How many of you guys were Boy Scouts, and how far did you get?<BR><BR>How many of the ladies here were in Girl Scouts and how far did you get in it?

It's funny you should ask. I find myself describing geocachers either as old boy scouts or as old ham radio buffs. I earned my Eagle in 1973.

I have been in scouting for over 40 years. I went through Cub Scouts (Wolf, Bear, Lion, WEBELO) In the Boy Scouts I became an Eagle in Dec 1972. As an adult I went through WB in 1976, staffed WB in 1978 was on the Eagle board, Cubmaster 5 years, Scoutmaster 7 years, Unit Commissioner, Assistant District Commissioner. Then in March of 2005 I became a professional Scouter. So is scouting my life yes!

Cub scout in 2nd and 3rd grade back in 1976 and 1977:

uniform-old.jpg

There a problem of not enough leaders in the pack, so I could not continue.

I would not let that happen for my sons. Now, I'm District Training Chair, Assistant Cubmaster, Tiger Den Leader, Woodbadge C-16-06 (Bobwhite).

Edited by Markwell

I was in Girl Scouts until 8th grade and am currently a second generation Girl Scout leader (my mom was a leader, too). I have been with the same group of girls for the past 6 years. I've already introduced the girls to geocaching...we attended a CITO event last spring and they earned the Let's Go Geo badge from the Erie Shores Council. They LOVED it.

I went through the whole scouting line starting in Tiger Cubs and ending with Eagle Scout in March of 99. Growing up in Granite Falls Washington we had plenty of hiking just 15 minutes out the door. Thus learning to read maps and use a compass are skills that fit nicely with Geocaching.

Did the cub scout thing when I was of the appropriate age, lost interest, reconnected with an Explorer Troop (Post 64) when I hit 14 or so. This was around 1960. We did a tremendous amout of camping and the like. I was a post member until I graduated high school. None of us were moved to go for

eagle or any higher honors except OA. We just liked our camping, winter or summer, it made little difference to us. We were in the Philadelphia area and did an annual February encampment at Valley Forge to celebrate Washington's Birthday. (It wasn't called "Presidents' Day then). Dang it was cold.

hairball

Eagle Scout 1981. We had a great troop that did a lot of camping and other activities. The quality of activities and direction of the troop really depend on the leaders. Some just do it and some really live it. The leaders I grew up with are still leading the troop.

I too loved being in the outdoors when I was in the Boy Scouts. I lost some of that over the years, but Geocaching has brought some of that back and I get to share it with my kids.

First Class Scout. My parents moved about the same time they changed the reguirements for advancement. I was going to have to go back and redo a bunch of stuff in a new troop to keep advancing so ended up just dropping out. Also was a Cubmaster for a couple of years and I didn't even have any boys.

Cub Scouts and Webelos. Father was in the Air Force and there was always a pack or troop on the bases we lived at. Father was a scoutmaster. Dropped out of it when we moved back to the states, much more to do and not enough time to do it all. Then joined the Army, like someone said, that's sort of like the Boy Scouts, no?

I am 15 and just earned my Eagle in June. I have 1 bronze palm, with enough merit badges to earn 5 palms, and I plan to earn 9. I am also Brotherhood in OA, a member of the ceremonies team (Meteu), and the Chapter Chief of my local chapter. I have worked as a counselor at a summer camp (BSR), attended the 2005 National Jamboree, and will be attending the Philmont Scout Ranch this Summer. Scouting is a great program and not at all wimpy as some of you have stated!

Edited by Pyro37976