When do you give it up?

I have a Cache in a fairly remote area of Mississippi on our hunting lease. It has had few visitors. The last two were April 5 and May 5. At what point do you figure anyone who is going to find it has found it and it's time to archive it? icon_confused.gif

Pat in Louisiana

I never get lost. I simply investigate alternate destinations.

If it is still in good condition I'd leave it out there. There could be dozens of reasons a cacher hasn't found it yet. Time, distance, etc. Plus there are all the future cachers out there who don't know about the game yet.

We have one that has pretty low taffic, but I just checked on it this weekend. I made sure it was still hidden and dry and in good shape for the next adventurous soul who decides to look for it. It may be weeks or months before it is found again, but that's okay.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

I'd go check it and do some maintenance. But I'd leave it in place. A couple of mine have gone at least that long without finds.

Someone will find it sometime.

-----------

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain

quote:
Originally posted by Pat in Louisiana:

I have a Cache in a fairly remote area of Mississippi on our hunting lease. It has had few visitors. The last two were April 5 and May 5. At what point do you figure anyone who is going to find it has found it and it's time to archive it? icon_confused.gif

Pat in Louisiana

I never get lost. I simply investigate alternate destinations.

I have hidden caches that I would like to find. I like to hike in less-visited places. The caches I've hidden are in a 'fairly remote area'. I get very few visitors. Sometimes, six weeks may go by. Just this last weekend, though, three of my caches got visited. None of them are easy. It is a lot of fun to get a 'thanks for the great hike' note from a seeker. Just be patient, the cache isn't going anywhere, is it? icon_wink.gif

Bluespreacher

quote:
Originally posted by Pat in Louisiana:

At what point do you figure anyone who is going to find it has found it and it's time to archive it? icon_confused.gif

Pat: It appears that your cache is in an area where there are no other nearby caches. This is good - it will eventually draw people who live around there and, hopefully, inspire them to join us. Many of us deliberately place caches in remote areas for just this reason. It may take a while before you see a lot of activity, but judging from how fast we've grown in 3 yrs, not too long.

Chris

Why archive it? There are always new Geocachers out there, as well as visitors to the area. I have two caches that hadn't been found since March and both were found this past weekend. One was found 3 times. Unless it's causing harm to its surroundings, or you simply no longer feel like maintaining it, just leave it there.

I placed three cache sites in Death Valley last April. Two virtural and one actual. It was hitting 103 degrees then. It is definitly hotter now. I really don't expect any visitors to my cache locations until around November!

Check 'em out...

Death Valley Rocks

So-Cal Mining Company

Ibex Mine

Meanwhile. I'm waiting. icon_razz.gif