Fun at the Grocery Store

Saw this in the paper yesterday and just had to share the laughs. Next time you go to the grocery store, find a cart that is mostly full whose owner has stepped away. Grab it and head striaght for the checkout lines. These will be your groceries for the week. Should provide some interesting variety in your diet too. icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Fun? I personally don't see this as something that would help promote geocaching. Doing something to inconvenience someone else isn't what geocaching is about.

Think of the single mom that's working two jobs to support a family. Maybe she just has enough time to grab some groceries before she picks up her kids, or heads to her next job. Then the "Fun" begins. She steps around the corner to get something .. and "poof"... her groceries are misssing. Now she doesn't have time to go all the way back through the store and fill the cart again.

Suppose the shopper is handicapped or elderly. Sometimes it's a big job just to make it through the store ... one time.

I fail to see the "fun", sorry. It just appears to be an inconsiderate thing to do. I hope it's not something that this site would encourage.

Just my .02

--------------

Changing some folks mind, is like trying to herd cats.

55883_200.gif

Cloak_N_Dagger said:

quote:
Suppose the shopper is handicapped or elderly. Sometimes it's a big job just to make it through the store ... one time.

You're right of course, it does sound funny at first thought though doesn't it?

I guess this would have to come under my general rule of 'just leave other people alone'.

Most of the time, that's all I wish others would do for me! icon_rolleyes.gif

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

quote:
Grab it and head striaght for the checkout lines

Reminds me of the time I left my cart outside the bathroom and upon exiting the bathroom I took the wrong cart and headed to the checkout line. I was in line and had people behind me before I realized I had the wrong cart. I took it back and my cart was still there but never did see anyone looking for their cart. Just another reason why men shouldn't do the grocery shopping. Then, there's the time I was digging through someones cart because I thought it was the clearance/markdown cart - but that's another story.

Eswau

quote:
Think of the single mom that's working two jobs to support a family. Maybe she just has enough time to grab some groceries before she picks up her kids, or heads to her next job. Then the "Fun" begins. She steps around the corner to get something .. and "poof"... her groceries are misssing. Now she doesn't have time to go all the way back through the store and fill the cart again.

Holy carp! Did you think this was a serious suggestion that someone might actually take?

New rule #84: No more humor on the message boards, as it may be misconstrued.

That is all. Continue viewing.

-Vb

[This message was edited by Verboten on April 17, 2003 at 04:40 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Cloak_N_Dagger:

Fun? I personally don't see this as something that would help promote geocaching. Doing something to inconvenience someone else isn't what geocaching is about.

I fail to see the "fun", sorry. It just appears to be an inconsiderate thing to do. I hope it's not something that this site would encourage.

Just my .02

--------------

Changing some folks mind, is like trying to herd cats.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/55883_200.gif

Would it be better if you picked out somebody that seemed like a jerk? A smoker, or someone that yelled at his kids or tried to run you over in the parking lot? Would that be more funny? icon_confused.gif

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

quote:
Originally posted by wimseyguy:

Next time you go to the grocery store, find a cart that is mostly full whose owner has stepped away. Grab it and head striaght for the checkout lines.

see, you're laughing, but it happened to me once. i caught up with the woman and she said: "well, somebody toook mine." as if my weird groceries (there was a lot of rice milk and tofu and six heads of bok choy) were tailored to fit her needs.

it was strange.

but what really took me aback was all those folks who took the trouble to write in and respond angrily. good gracious.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

see, you're laughing, but it happened to me once.

Yeah, me too--in a way. I wasn't grocery shopping, but I was in some department store. I'd filled my cart (called buggies around these parts) with about 10 items or so, I'd left it for a moment to go look at something. When I returned, it was gone. I started looking around and noticed a few of my things sitting on the floor and haphazardly on the shelves. At the end of the aisle were two older ladies with an empty cart.

I asked them if they'd just gotten the cart from the other end of the aisle, and one of them told me, "Yes, it didn't belong to anyone." I don't think it ever occurred to them that it was mine. I walked to the front of the store, got a new cart and reloaded my things. All the while they were standing there and didn't say a word to me--just went about with their shopping.

Jamie

I wouldn't recommend taking my grocery cart after I've filled it. I despise grocery shopping....so I'm already in a foul mood to begin with.

This thread has produced some humorous grocery store-ies though. Back when I first got married, I did my weeks worth of grocery shopping......cart fully loaded I headed out to the car. Opened the back door and proceeded to load all of my groceries into the back seat. Returned my cart to the store and climbed into the drivers seat. My key doesn't work........what the heck!! icon_eek.gif

I worked like crazy trying to get my groceries out of this car and into mine before anyone noticed. ha ha! This car was EXACTLY like mine........it just took a different key.....

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

Before they scanned the bar codes and used tags, we used to remove the tag off of condoms or tampons and place it in someone elses cart, embarrassed quite a few with price checks.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.