Removed Cache

opey one

Boy, I dunno...that just reeks of an urban legend to me. (No offense to you, or to the park manager.)

We're supposed to believe rather than simply hiding their own stashes - which no one else would know where they are - some drug dealers went to the trouble of getting a GPS to locate *known* geocaches and use them as drug stashes. And all the while, no innocent geocachers ever accidentally stumbed across a baggie of cocaine in a cache while looking for a McToy? (I'm assuming that if someone in Virginia Beach HAD come across drugs in a cache, it probably would've made news on this forum.) And the best source the ranger has is that he heard it from someone who heard it from someone. Hmm.

Heheh... I would have listened to that ranger tell his story, and then I would have been laughing with my friends on the way back to my car about how full of crap he was. icon_smile.gif

I have to believe he was just having a bit of fun with those folks - cuz I can think of 100 ways of passing drugs to someone else rather than sticking it in a publicly listed cache. Er, not drugs... I can think of a 100 ways to pass "something" to someone else... yeah, that's it... icon_razz.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

Heheh... I would have listened to that ranger tell his story, and then I would have been laughing with my friends on the way back to my car about how full of crap he was. icon_smile.gif

I have to believe he was just having a bit of fun with those folks - cuz I can think of 100 ways of passing drugs to someone else rather than sticking it in a publicly listed cache. Er, not drugs... I can think of a 100 ways to pass "something" to someone else... yeah, that's it... icon_razz.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

Sounds like a lot of hooey to me. Hmmmmm, if you have $200 worth of cocaine to transfer, you're going to put it in a Geocache that could potentially be visited by a half dozen people before the buyer comes along.

I can see the buyer leaving a log. Took 2 oz bag of white powder, left several hundred Wheresgeorge bills.

It's possible that a GPS can work very well for drug transactions, but common sense tells you that using a Geocache is not a good idea. If you were a drug dealer would trust your stash to an existing Geocache? I can see making your own cache and providing the coordinates to your cohort, but to put it in a Geocache? Makes no sense.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I didn't really think about the angle of the ranger's story being phony, but it's undoubtedly possible.

But we must always remember how dumb some people in this world can be, like the ones that rob a bank or store and leave their drivers license. I don't see professional drug dealers using a geocache as a dropoff, but there are plelty of idiots that might think it's a great idea.

In either case, there is more to this story than what we can determine with the facts we have.

Save our forests, wipe your *** with a tree-hugger.

Odd, reading the cache page info and log, the manager never indicated the drugs were in a publicly listed geocache, just a geocache. I can see the authorities jumping to conclusions, that if some druggie was swapping drugs by swapping GPS coords with other druggies, and this was observed by the authorities, then the powers that be, who prolly havent the faintest clue what real geocaching is all about, may go and look it all up. Painting blame with a broad brush, so to speak. So i dont think its entirely beyond reason the manager may have heard this information. Who knows. True or not, it still sucks canal water.

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

According to the log on the cache page:

quote:

these caches were used to trade drugs back and forth

So, I wonder if it went down something like this...I'll leave 3 speedballs and you leave 3 maryjanes. Tomorrow, I'll see your maryjanes and raise you some hash and you leave some crack.

so your saying, "at least they were trading equal or up?" icon_wink.gif

whack.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

According to the log on the cache page:

quote:

these caches were used to trade drugs back and forth

So, I wonder if it went down something like this...I'll leave 3 speedballs and you leave 3 maryjanes. Tomorrow, I'll see your maryjanes and raise you some hash and you leave some crack.

so your saying, "at least they were trading equal or up?" icon_wink.gif

whack.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Pet Posse:

There was just a news story out about a guy that got a couple of bags of Pot with his chicken & biscuits at the drive thru window of his local fried chicken place!

So....I guess stranger things have happened!

Dogs Have Owners....Cats Have Staff!!

11 herbs and spices?

We're starting to narrow it down now.

quote:
Originally posted by ooga booga:

Boy, I dunno...that just reeks of an urban legend to me.

And the best source the ranger has is that he heard it from someone who heard it from someone. Hmm.

Uninformed land managers/rangers tend to view caches with suspiciousness and as a potential threat. I've seen this crop up before. A land manager "once" discovered a cache near a archeological/historical/whatever site.

I think caching threatens their usual power and control methods and they immediately try to find how this unfamiliar activity violates compliance of some code.

Can't blame them...caching can be a new land use activity that looks pretty strange to the uninitiated.

I try to inform locals/managers, in a friendly way, what I'm up to while caching, if observed. I'd like to think they would not be so surprised and defensive when they see others wandering around at some later date. Like..."Oh yeah, there's another GPS treasure hunter", they're ok."

It's not the correct term, but non-technical people seem to immediately understand and be disarmed with "treasure hunt".

Spies and others have been using dead drops, bus lockers, Christian Science reading rooms (saw it in a movie), as drop offs/exchanges. It use to be pagers and cell phones that were associated the drug dealing. Now look around everyone is using these tools. Cell phones are even using GPS!

I'm sure there is some nefarious way to use GPS. Maybe that GPSr on some boat isn't pointing to a submerged fishing spot?

Just because a GPSr could be used for some other purpose, there's no connection with the Sport of Geocaching.

----------

Greenjeens

While the story of drugs in caches may be an urban legend, this is still a great example of what happens if ask for permission. Park manager is informed by a counter part that drugs are being placed in a cache in a different park and removes cache. Local Geocacher talks with park manager and park manager is able to meet a geocacher, realizes that we are a nice group of people. Agrees to put the Geocache in the park

I consider that a happy ending, the cache stays in place and we have a new Geocaching ally.

O.K. I posted this last night, then went to bed. I just came home from work and see there are responses. I am the one who hid this cache, and it never really dawned on me about being a bull crap story coming from the park manager. I'm glad you all enlightened me on this matter.

He didn't really go into great detail on how this trading was going on, as he said they were doing this (the way I took it) with these "hidden containers". Maybe theres a www.geodoping.com or something that recruits people of this fashion, I don't know. I do know that (by his demeanor), he really did not like whatever happened in VA Beach, and was for sure he was not going to let it happen in his park. Over all, it was a decent exchange of words, good or bad.

About requesting permission to place it there, I did. The day it was placed, I confronted four workers that were at the chairlifts. I didn't want to just walk by them, on down the trail with a big black bucket in hand (boy, how would that look?). I first introduced myself and my intentions, then proceeded to explain the "sport" and let them all examine the contents, while I was explaining. Then I asked if it would be O.K. to do this. They were all excited, asking questions, thinking it was a really cool idea. They even wrote the website down, asking if you had to have membership priviledges and all. One worker even told me a place he thought would be a good one to hide it (obviously not familiar with hides, for his spot was next to a pillar of the bottom chairlift housing- in plain sight), but they all , especially him were all for it.

But it did end well, though. The manager said I could take it back down there, so that was good enough for me. Instead, I took it home to dry the items out (the bucket didn't have a gasket and collected mousture) and put it in a clear rubbermaid container. Will take it back, though, because it is a super place for a cache. That's all I guess. This is my first exciting event with my hides. Sure there will be more when things get blown out of proportion. But I will take the good with the bad. icon_wink.gif

O.K. I posted this last night, then went to bed. I just came home from work and see there are responses. I am the one who hid this cache, and it never really dawned on me about being a bull crap story coming from the park manager. I'm glad you all enlightened me on this matter.

He didn't really go into great detail on how this trading was going on, as he said they were doing this (the way I took it) with these "hidden containers". Maybe theres a www.geodoping.com or something that recruits people of this fashion, I don't know. I do know that (by his demeanor), he really did not like whatever happened in VA Beach, and was for sure he was not going to let it happen in his park. Over all, it was a decent exchange of words, good or bad.

About requesting permission to place it there, I did. The day it was placed, I confronted four workers that were at the chairlifts. I didn't want to just walk by them, on down the trail with a big black bucket in hand (boy, how would that look?). I first introduced myself and my intentions, then proceeded to explain the "sport" and let them all examine the contents, while I was explaining. Then I asked if it would be O.K. to do this. They were all excited, asking questions, thinking it was a really cool idea. They even wrote the website down, asking if you had to have membership priviledges and all. One worker even told me a place he thought would be a good one to hide it (obviously not familiar with hides, for his spot was next to a pillar of the bottom chairlift housing- in plain sight), but they all , especially him were all for it.

But it did end well, though. The manager said I could take it back down there, so that was good enough for me. Instead, I took it home to dry the items out (the bucket didn't have a gasket and collected mousture) and put it in a clear rubbermaid container. Will take it back, though, because it is a super place for a cache. That's all I guess. This is my first exciting event with my hides. Sure there will be more when things get blown out of proportion. But I will take the good with the bad. icon_wink.gif