Tips for new users (and old users)

One I'm seeing the need for a little more often:

DON'T put information essential to finding the cache in the hint. And don't put information about potentially dangerous situations around the cache in the hint.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

A while ago I posted a list of do's and dont's

for newbies in this thread in the Getting started forum. Here it is again:

Do not:

Do not mark the location of the cache with stones, flagging tape, arrows, cairns, etc... You found it without the extra help, so can everyone else.

Do not leave the cache exposed, unless you are absolutely sure that is the way the owner wants it.

Do not leave food in the caches. This includes dog biscuts, gum, Pez and cans of soda. It doesn't matter how well sealed the food item is. Just don't do it.

Do not leave heavily scented items like soap, candles, incense, pot-pourri, etc... The scents may be as interesting to animals as food.

Do not turn over, or move every rock and down tree in the area during your search. When you leave the area, it should not look like a cyclone went through. Besides, it isn't necessary and may tick off land managers.

Do not log it as a find if you didn't find it. It will confuse the cache owner and subsequent searchers.

Do's:

Do re-hide the cache well. Use the difficulty rating as a guide if you are unsure how well to hide it.

Do make sure you re-seal the lid. Many caches are ruined because someone failed to close the lid properly.

Do log your find on this website. It's a courtesy to the cache owner. It lets them know the cache has been found and their effort is appreciated.

Do let the owner know of any problems with the cache. You can do this via your log.

Do log a "not found", if you didn't find it, no matter what the reason. It alerts the owner and other cachers that there could be a problem. A "not found" is nothing to be ashamed of. We all have our share.

Do try to leave the area around the cache as undisturbed as possible.

Do follow the trail where possible. Often a trail will turn away from the cache, then loop back in its direction. Resist the urge to bushwack. It won't save you much time and more often than not, you'll just run into the trail again.

Do try to make sure you aren't being watched. In high traffic areas, its a good idea to take the cache and move to another spot to make your trade and log in. Then return the cache to its hiding place when you are sure nobody's looking.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

"Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk."

Bret

LoL! Good on Cybret.

I added you other one though.

Briansnat, all of you're excellent tips are already there (just look icon_smile.gif

edit: WHOOPS didnt see that you corrected yourself, that's why I get for not refreshing before I post icon_biggrin.gif

--Ricky Cobb

The list is very comprehensive, but I might reorder it to put the most critical at the top as most newbies would be overwhelmed with that lengthy list!

The line:

o Keep about a half of a mile distance between you're cache and any other caches in the area.

...can be removed as it's redundant to the website's requirements and not a guideline.

The "Have Fun" under hiding should be moved up into the finding section!

(Mmm.. Maybe it should be first!) {grin}

Hope this helps,

Randy

quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Jeff:

Take paper towels with you on long hikes, lest you be forced to use your socks...whew...

SOCKS, never thought of that. Jeff, let me borrow one of your socks!

Did not read the list, but will go do it now and maybe come back.

good idea this thread, to ask for others ideas.

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win,

and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

OUTSID4EVR: container choice ....Added and...

cachew nut: note the time ....Added!

Also added a "keep track of time while caching" tip (cachew nut's note the time made me think of know what time it is while caching so do you don't lose track of time).

I know I'm gonna suck you dry but, any more tips?

icon_biggrin.gif

--Ricky Cobb

Always... not wait - Never...

No - Always keep a small garbage bag in your car, like the kind that have holes to go over your window roller handle.

They keep America beautiful and your car uncluttered.

If they get full, you can just toss them out the window.

(Steve Martin)

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

No - Always keep a small garbage bag in your car, like the kind that have holes to go over your window roller handle. They keep America beautiful and your car uncluttered. If they get full, you can just toss them out the window. -majicman

Added!

--Ricky Cobb

You should carry a flashlight with you - just in case your caching trip takes longer than expected. It can also be used to light up those shadowy hiding places.

I carry four, including a hand powered one in case I run out of batteries

I'm new at this Geocaching thing and each time I go out, I learn something new. :tired:

Yesterday I went to a nearby location where I thought I could bag four caches in just a couple of hours.

Well . . . my headlamp and extra batteries have now been added to my fanny pack because I just barely made it back to the car while I could still see to walk on the very rugged trail . . . :anitongue: