"Locationless" or better name?

iryshe

There was recently an email volley about "locationless" being a confusing term for what the idea is (tasked to find unique objects on the planet and log them with a GPS).

Should a locationless cache be called by another name? If you choose a new name idea, we will continue with a second poll.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Locationless and Virtual Caches have in common that they are not actually caches in the same sence as a traditioanl cache. They do involve aspects of the hunt though and keep to the spirt of the game. What I don't like about a locationless cache is that they are almost all required to be "One log per location" which is the opposite of every other cache out there. There is a quest involved to find something. Finding the object can be fun for everyone one. Maybe posting the pic and coordinates so only the owner can see would let everyone enjoy the caches? Locationless caches are really a scavenger hunt that you claim by posting a coordinate. "Scavenger Cache" is what a locationless cache is and it doesnt' sound any more goofy than any other name for the hunting of odd, unsual, and goofy things.

[This message was edited by Renegade Knight on July 14, 2002 at 10:09 PM.]

Change it to "backwards cache" or "reverse cache"...you find the spot and then you use the GPS, rather than the other way around. icon_smile.gif

Actually "postcard cache" works well too...essentially you're making a postcard of something and then posting where the photo was taken.

Some "locationless" caches are not backwards though...the ones that use math to get to a synthetic location are just as valid as a standard virtual cache because of the skills involved. Some of them probably take more effort because of all the pre-planning involved with maps and stuff before you even leave the house.

Change it to "backwards cache" or "reverse cache"...you find the spot and then you use the GPS, rather than the other way around. icon_smile.gif

Actually "postcard cache" works well too...essentially you're making a postcard of something and then posting where the photo was taken.

Some "locationless" caches are not backwards though...the ones that use math to get to a synthetic location are just as valid as a standard virtual cache because of the skills involved. Some of them probably take more effort because of all the pre-planning involved with maps and stuff before you even leave the house.

It has nothing to do with “caching” and therefore, as with “benchmarking”, the word “cache” should not be included in the name. This activity is all about seeking and waypointing a particular feature . I propose the following selection of names:

Nowns:. Geofeature; FeatureSite; FeaturePoint

Verbs: Geofeaturing; Feature-seeking ; FeatureSiting; FeatureSighting ; FeaturePointing;

icon_smile.gif

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

It has nothing to do with “caching” and therefore, as with “benchmarking”, the word “cache” should not be included in the name. This activity is all about seeking and waypointing a particular feature . I propose the following selection of names:

Nowns:. Geofeature; FeatureSite; FeaturePoint

Verbs: Geofeaturing; Feature-seeking ; FeatureSiting; FeatureSighting ; FeaturePointing;

icon_smile.gif

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

Scavenger cache or

Reverse cache

That being said, I have not yet logged any locationless caches. I will be more inclined to do so AFTER the find counts are broken out into category. Right now I don't want to inflate my found count with them.

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'

I've only just started geocaching - haven't even gotten a find yet! - so my opinion may not be worth much, but...

I think separating the scavenger-type caches out will be very beneficial: without that seperate category, they are quite difficult to find. I've run across a few of them, and they look like fun, but would love to have a better way to access them.

I'm not concerned with what they are called. I just feel that they belong in there own section. I know this is not supposed to be a numbers game but locationless caches do tend to inflate a teams number of finds. I noticed today that one team has claimed 15 finds on the same location less cache on the same day.

Just my thoughts.

Team Sand Dollar

It still refers to a location, but not a physical cache. Those type of caches are a "Non-Physcal" cache, meaning you cant log in a logbook/trade out items at THE SITE. What to call them is a hard order to fill. I think the name has to do something that describes that kind of cache. Locationless IMO does not fit the bill, but can't think of anything better right now.....

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Locationless caches are really a scavenger hunt that you claim by posting a coordinate. "Scavenger Cache" is what a locationless cache is and it doesnt' sound any more goofy than any other name for the hunting of odd, unsual, and goofy things.

I'll second Renegade Knight's suggestion of calling them Scavenger Caches. That's what I've been using in my mind whenever I think about them.

--- yrium ---

I voted to leave it as it is.

Is the word "Locationless" *really* that confusing? At least it sums up a little about the cache idea... that it is without a location.

"Discovery" doesn't really do the same - since all caches are discovered, to a certain extent, by the finder.

"Scavenger Hunt" would probably be the other best alternative.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

I agree - being able to have those counted separately means more to me than the name.

However, if we're going to change the name, I really like the Scavenger Cache and geoscavenging ideas. I would be significantly more likely to participate if the name was changed. It just sounds more fun than "locationless". It's also easier to sell the idea to my kids, who understand what a scavenger hunt is, but have no idea how one would even go about looking for something that has no location. "Does that mean it doesn't exist, Mom? Why can't we hunt a real cache, Mom?" (They're 7 and 5 - abstract concepts are still a bit hard for them.)

Shannah

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Locationless caches are really a scavenger hunt that you claim by posting a coordinate. "Scavenger Cache" is what a locationless cache is and it doesnt' sound any more goofy than any other name

I like SCAVENGER cache best, although I think I had already previously voted for Discovery cache ...

-----

You must be present to win.