Magellan Thales / Geocaching Adventures - Prizes!

alexm

Congratulations to Dru and the Ventura Kids. Dru, your lucky that Magellan is really messed up. They reposted the same coords as this morning at 3:15pm this afternoon but with a note saying they had verified and checked the coordinates, so I, of course go sprinting out the door. I arrived at the guys back yard at 4:15pm. So I called my wife and another cacher and they both say the page is back down! So of course, I leave, cursing Magellan all the way.

Hey, I'm glad that you and Ventura Kids got something from them. Me, I'm done with Magellan. They burned me twice on this debacle. icon_mad.gif

sigavatar.gif

"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either." - Benjamin Franklin

I would have had the same experience, as I was chasing those same coords. But, one mile before I got there, CurlyKrakow told me to try min sec format, because online it looked like a park. He saved my ***, as I only beat GeoChasers by 10 seconds.

BTW, *** is in the Bible.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

I would like to see Garmin sponsor a contest like this as well.

Heh. Herding cats is easier.

Congrats on the finds! I wonder if they'll hide one in the Seattle area. (A genuine wonder. I have no idea where they are)

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by SoCalAdmin:

So Dru... How are you going to payback Curly for the info, especially if you win the trip to Hawaii?

Ahhh, I can just see it now, you and Curly on the beach together sitting under an umbrella watching the sunset and sipping Mai Tai's... icon_eek.gif

Nah, I already conceded the Hawaii trip to Molly. After all, she graciosuly allowed Dru to drag the whole family down there for 6+ hours the day before.

But if he wins the SporTrak Color I lust for after all, well.. I may have to lay some retro-guilt on him. icon_razz.gif <j/k>

CK

--

Geocaching: The World's Finest Outdoor Geeking

"Oh, look at me. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax." - Brian, 'My So-Called Life'

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

My favorite Bible hero is the mighty Old Testament warrior Nimrod.

CK

--

Geocaching: The World's Finest Outdoor Geeking

"Oh, look at me. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax." - Brian, 'My So-Called Life'

quote:
Originally posted by CurlyKrakow:

quote:

My favorite Bible hero is the mighty Old Testament warrior Nimrod.

May Dru was refering to Balaam. His Magellan said that the children of Israel were .8 mi away at bearing 180 but his *** was using a different datum and didn't think they needed to move from their current position. icon_biggrin.gif

東西南北

-- I found it in the last place I looked.

I'm a bit confused. In the "rules" section it says

"In addition, there will be toy treasure trinkets and 25 claim coupons each good for a Magellan Color GPS Cap placed in other caches for any discovering participant"

What other caches are they talking about? Or are the 25 claim coupons in the original caches?

Janine

Cacheola Crew

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

quote:
Originally posted by SoCalAdmin:

So Dru... How are you going to payback Curly for the info, especially if you win the trip to Hawaii?

Ahhh, I can just see it now, you and Curly on the beach together sitting under an umbrella watching the sunset and sipping Mai Tai's... :eek

Nah, I already conceded the Hawaii trip to Molly. After all, she graciosuly allowed Dru to drag the whole family down there for 6+ hours the day before.

CK

Paws off the Hawaii trip! We were the first of the firsts, it's mine.....all mine HAHAHA!!

I registered...but when I try to log in it just takes me back to the same page?? If they can't even navigate me to the right page...how the hell are they going to navigate me to a cache?? This is the reason I use a Garmin!! Anyone else have this problem?

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

[This message was edited by El Diablo on July 03, 2003 at 05:25 PM.]

El Diablo, if you're still having trouble getting the clues, it could be because you have your Explorer security settings too high. The sight requires cookies. Try going to the tools memu, select internet options, and the click on the Privacy tab and move the selector bar to a medium setting. This may help

Madog "Discover of America, ca 1169"

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.

Source: Frank Zappa

Okay...I'm really annoyed. I went to the site and tried to sign up, but it just keeps taking me to a dadgum "update personal information" page. I'm already registered there since I have a Magellan and it's even got all my correct information. But when I click "Update" it just keeps going to the same page. Can somebody help me find where the clues are posted? I'm so clueless!

[EDIT: Just read Madog's post and my setting is already at medium.]

---

- Shadowraven

(wife, teacher, reader, cook, novice geocacher, cat owner)

(WWE, The Sims, Geocaching.com, Bookcrossing.com, Xanga.com)

I'm becoming very disappointed with the marketing people at Magellan over this whole contest. While it seems they've finally fixed their coordinate problem (time will truly tell, especially with the current 2 caches), but why didn't they post coordinates for them today so families could spend the day together searching? I, for one, would have loved to spend the day with my family hunting for one of the caches, if I were in either area of the country and was able to do so.

They could have even gone with a patriotic theme of sorts, with the container itself. Hrmph.

Brian

Team A.I.

[edit]Treasure at Thieves Isle has been found (allegedly) without any coordinate posted.

I was first to find the Gold of Good Signs cache near St. Louis. I saw the coordinates online at about 2:30 a.m. and in a moment of insanity jumped in my truck and raced to St. Louis (3 hours). I found the cache at 6:24, just a couple of minutes before the first two local geocachers showed up.

I was impressed with the "treasure chest" and hiding location, but there were some problems. The area chosen had some really heavy tree cover so it was extremly hard to keep a gps lock. The cache name and hints seemed to have nothing at all to do with where it was hidden. And finally, the rules said that the grand prize coupon would state which prize was won, and it does not. So now I have to sit here in suspense for them to confirm the prize by mail in "6-8 weeks". All said, though, it is a neat idea, and I'm glad I took the time to "play". icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

I registered...but when I try to log in it just takes me back to the same page?? If they can't even navigate me to the right page...how the hell are they going to navigate me to a cache?? This is the reason I use a Garmin!! Anyone else have this problem?

I had the same problem, and I guess I will stick to my Garmin also. I hope the folks who do the Maggy web page do not write the GPS software. icon_rolleyes.gif

CharlieP

Could someone *please* post a link to the Magellan page with the locations/hints? I spent a few hours going all through there web site, but I always end up getting stuck on the "Update Your Profile" page -- whether I update or not, it just keeps bringing me back to that same page icon_frown.gif

Thanks!

-BeachBuddies

When Pepper and I found the Thieves Isle cache earlier today, there were 4

quote:
Grand Prize
coupons left in the cache, with 20
quote:
Everyone's a Winner
coupons on top!(one person was there before us) Has anyone seen this in the other caches? You need to look closely because they look very similar.

quote:
Originally posted by Doombot!:

AAAAHHHHH!!!! It's a Mesa Pegasus!!!! Run!

The much feared Mesa Pegasus. No good WW deck would leave home without 4... icon_wink.gif (well, back in the revised days, at least.)

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Uplink:

When Pepper and I found the Thieves Isle cache earlier today, there were 4 Grand Prize coupons left in the cache...

Congrats to the both of you. Nice that you both got GP coupons! We miss Pepper down here, glad to see she is getting out and having fun up there. Hope you guys win something great.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Uplink: No, I didn't notice if that was the case. What I found was a treasure chest with a lot of "gold coins" and "pearls" in the bottom, and stuck to the inside of the lid was a stack of prize coupons. The top one said "Congratulations! you're the grand prize winner." and the ones under neath were the Everyone's a winner hat coupons. I didn't look all the way through the stack of coupons or under the "jewels" though.

ravenbrk

quote:

When Pepper and I found the Thieves Isle cache earlier today, there were 4 Grand Prize coupons left in the cache, with 20 Everyone's a Winner coupons on top!(one person was there before us) Has anyone seen this in the other caches? You need to look closely because they look very similar.

ravenbrk: The Thieves Isle cache was exactly the same. The Grand Prize Coupons were underneath the hat coupons in the lid. Maybe they ALL have one GP on top of the stack, and 4 more on the bottom (hidden prizes)!

Marky: Yea, Pepper is lots of fun. Her and her running buddies Lucy (of LucyandRicky) and CachinCin are zipping through through all of the eastside caches at a rapid rate!

4478_2000.jpg

[This message was edited by Uplink on July 06, 2003 at 07:56 AM.]

Ok, I think it is really cool that Magellan is doing this, but is anyone else reallyannoyed that they are not following their own rules -- rules that we had to agree to in order to "play the game"? They said that there would be one grand prize winner per treasure chest followed by 25 hat coupons, and they said that the grand prize coupon would state clearly what prize was won, (but then they turn around and also say that they will be assigned at random). I drove 500+ miles in the middle of the night for a 1 in 31 chance at a really cool prize, not a 1 in 155 chance (although those aren't bad odds either).

quote:
Each Magellan "lost treasures" cache will contain one Prize Coupon which will describe the specific prize which the participant first discovering the cache has won and provide complete prize claim details. Prizes include, for example, SporTrak Color GPS handheld receivers, Coleman outdoor equipment, a Las Vegas Neon Lights weekend trip (including airfare from anywhere in the United States), among others, and will be assigned at random at sponsor's sole discretion. There is one prize per Prize Coupon. In addition, there will be toy treasure trinkets and 25 claim coupons each good for a Magellan Color GPS Cap placed in other caches for any discovering participant.

quote:

ravenbrk: The Thieves Isle cache was exactly the same. The Grand Prize Coupons were underneath the hat coupons in the lid. Maybe they ALL have one GP on top of the stack, and 4 more on the bottom (hidden prizes)!

quote:
Originally posted by Cacheola Crew:

I wonder if it was some kind of mistake...

I like it. You also never know if there's another cache nearby either that contains an instant prize, based on clues in the initial container.

True, they should change the official rules to reflect the actual caches.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

El Diablo

I received an e-mail from Magellan today about the login problems. They seemed to have fixed the problem...kudos to them! Double kudos to them for taking the time to send the email to me!!!

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

Geesh you'd think I was still in the Army and expecting to be called up.

Now that one of the treasures has been narrowed down to Illinois (hopefully in the Chicago area) I've got my gear packed and ready by the door and ready roll on a moment's notice. Flashlight. extra batteries. maps.

My wife thinks I'm an idiot.

Thank god I set my own working hours. ;D

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:

Jolly, I won in CA and my wife still thinks I am an idiot. Just think if I hadn't won. You better hope you're fast.

http://www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru/images/stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -http://www.theheavenlyhost.com/geocache

Thanks for the advice. Actually I don't stand a snowball's chance in hell. This area is swarming with Cache-heads. I figure by the time I get to the treasure there will be a well beaten path leading to it. icon_biggrin.gif

I am going to make a go for it. I figure the one thing I have in my favor is that I'm a night owl. If they post those coordinates at 2 a.m. like the did on one of the other caches I'm so there.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."