Dope Cache

DisQuoi

Travelling Bear sent me this photo of my micro-cache. He said he identified it as enough marijuana for two cigarettes.

[There is no need to speculate on who but it there. line removed by CO Admin]

What intrigues me is that one one has taken the initiative to throw it away.

32523_7900.jpg

[This message was edited by CO Admin on October 09, 2003 at 11:42 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by btouch:

I sincerely hope that is not real. Even if it is just oregano or something else, it is not funny!

That's right. Marijuana is a known gateway drug - its a well known fact that smoking pot leads to beer drinking. icon_biggrin.gif

Gorak

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefPig:

What's that gunk on the cover/lid????? icon_eek.gif

The lid has a very strong magnet epoxied to it. Without giving away too much information, I can say that it's part of the secret of how it remains hidden! Shhh! Anyway, the magnet has some rust on it because when I epoxied the the magnet on, I accidentally let some ruin the threads of the container so it is perpetually wet. We learn.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I always wondered if you could get busted for possession on the way to the trash with the goods.

I thought than in the US you can get busted just for being in the general vicinity of some herb. icon_razz.gif

Up here in the Great Green North most cops are "herb-friendly" and just take it away from you so they don't have to buy their own.

I've yet to run into any in a geocache, but I suppose its just a matter of time.

Gorak

While doing a local multi-cache I found a film container filled with what I assumed was mariawanna. (how would I know if it was real?) I marked the coordinates, encircled the entire area with crime scene tape and then reported the incident to the federal authorities.

I understand the police aborted several stakeouts, the EMR team was dispatched and at least one Naval Frigate was re-routed from the Persian Gulf to aid in the investigation.

On that particular day the local donut shop was strangely vacant, it's usual patrons instead opting for potato chips and slurpees.

It's really hard to tell what's in the photo. The description doesn't help, because it's been edi-toaded. The interesting part of the photo is the shadows in the lower right corner. Is that a big snake with an egg in its mouth and Arlo and Janis' cat Ludwig trying to steal the egg? icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dagg:

Cool 4x4 van. whats the clearence?

Thanks. Not sure how much clearance, as I've never actually measured it. It's been lifted 2" over stock, and I'm running 27x8.50-14 BFG All-Terrains, so that bumps the height up a bit, too. It has a very short wheelbase (shorter than my wife's 2-door Tercel!) so the turning radius is extremely tight, and has a nice heavy duty pipe guard up under the front end to protect the long front overhang when I drop it onto the rocksicon_biggrin.gif.

It has surprised alot of people at where I've actually taken this thing. It's seen alot more off-roading than most SUVs on the roads these days. I've been all over Glamis with it, and even made the Coyote Canyon run (both ways) in the Anza-Borrego Desert area here in Southern California.

Back on the original subject, I found the "left-over" (roach) in my cache when checking up on it. The person who had left it signed the log at the cache, but not on the website, and thanked me for the nice cache. Said he needed to unwind after the hike!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!

quote:
Originally posted by eroyd:

While doing a local multi-cache I found a film container filled with what I assumed was mariawanna. (how would I know if it was real?) I marked the coordinates, encircled the entire area with crime scene tape and then reported the incident to the federal authorities.

I understand the police aborted several stakeouts, the EMR team was dispatched and at least one Naval Frigate was re-routed from the Persian Gulf to aid in the investigation.

On that particular day the local donut shop was strangely vacant, it's usual patrons instead opting for potato chips and slurpees.

You carry crime scene tape when you cache? Cool!

--------------------

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

icon_mad.gif

-- Copy of email sent to CO Admin --

You: I am archiving this vacation cache untill I am notified of how you plan to maintain it.

Me: (1) Traveling Bear lives in New Orleans and has agreed to maintain the cache. (2) Do not archive my caches without first attempting to contact me. (3) Reactivate the cache immediately .. an apology would be nice.

GC.com needs to monitor the caches that are registered on its website. That said, the data that it manages is provided by volunteers for free despite massive amounts of time, money, and creativity required to create each cache. Ce n'est qu'une Micro-Cache should not have been archived without at least an email to me.

quote:
e: (1) Traveling Bear lives in New Orleans and has agreed to maintain the cache.

(2) Do not archive my caches without first attempting to contact me. (3)

Reactivate the cache immediately .. an apology would be nice.

Gee, sounds pretty demanding and rude. I think it needs an apology

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

So who is deleting our logs?

The following makes it look like DisQuoi(Dissapointed) is doing it without any explanation. That's not like him.

Is Co Admin doing this?

PKPaul

<quote> This is an automated message from Geocaching.com

Your Log for Listing You Are The GPS! (Virtual Cache) was deleted by Dissapointed at 10/14/2003 11:13:57 AM

Visit this listing at the below address: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=da4f6e33-50ac-4af3-8d73-5279edc3f39f

Dissapointed profile: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=40fdfc8d-b747-4e32-9091-44bb8fd8941e

</quote>

It appears that we have another "geocacher suicide" on our hands. Disquoi has changed his username to "Dissapointed," archived all his caches and deleted all the other geocachers' logs from his caches.

If the message says "deleted by Dissapointed" why would you conclude that it was deleted by CO Admin? Volunteer admins do not have access to other users' account information.

I do wish to note that this action by the cache owner is unrelated to the posted topic. If someone wants to continue the discussion they may wish to consider opening a separate topic.

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

It appears that we have another "geocacher suicide" on our hands. Disquoi has changed his username to "Dissapointed," archived all his caches and deleted all the other geocachers' logs from his caches.

If the message says "deleted by Dissapointed" why would you conclude that it was deleted by CO Admin? Volunteer admins do not have access to other users' account information.

I do wish to note that this action by the cache owner is unrelated to the posted topic. If someone wants to continue the discussion they may wish to consider opening a separate topic.

So did an approver archive this micro cache or not?

quote:
Disquoi has changed his username to "Dissapointed," archived all his caches and deleted all the other geocachers' logs from his caches.

It doesn't appear that he's removing other geocacher's logs from his caches. That would be the height of pettiness if he did.

But I find it amazing how people get so bent out of shape over some perceived slight. OK, CO Admin probably shouldn't have archived the cache without discussing it first with Disquoi, but did he really have to take it so far? Sheesh! Is this a freakin high school?

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

It doesn't appear that he's removing other geocacher's logs from his caches.

Brian, what is the basis for this statement? Did you look at the cache pages, and the profile page for 'Dissapointed?' His profile now says that folks are free to re-log their finds and he won't delete them again. The finds that you're seeing on his caches are from people who have used their "permalink" to restore the deleted log. (Read them... several say 'restoring my log' and other comments.) When I viewed the same cache pages earlier today, they were empty of logs.

quote:
Brian, what is the basis for this statement? Did you look at the cache pages, and the profile page for 'Dissapointed?' His profile now says that folks are free to re-log their finds and he won't delete them again. The finds that you're seeing on his caches are from people who have used their "permalink" to restore the deleted log. (Read them... several say 'restoring my log' and other comments.) When I viewed the same cache pages earlier today, they were empty of logs.

Oops, I looked and saw finds, so I assumed that he didn't do that. How juvenile and petty!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I actually found this cache a couple of months ago. When I made my visit, there was nothing in the cache except for what looked like a damp piece of a cigarette box, with no writing on it. In my log, I stated the fact, and said I'd be glad to send an email describing the container for verification purposes. Today, I received an email that my log had been deleted. Just now, I looked at the forums and realized that this thread is about that very cache. The area is a nice safe place to visit during the day, but it is a little creepy at night. When we went to find the cache, we got permission from the security guard / harbor police to go in after dark. The area is a known hangout for street people and "gutterpunks" (to use the vernacular) after dark. That might explain the nature of the offending trade item. It's a shame it was archived as it was a neat hide, but if it is unmaintainable as a vacation cache, I see the logic behind it's archival. The fact that it had no logbook for quite a while indicates it might be a little difficult to check up on.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

I guess a good question is why would someone use the micro to store pot or was it meant to be a joke??

Obviously, what happened next seems to be the extremes of behavioural reaction.

The approvers/moderators or whomever has that power should at least TRY to contact a cache owner about a problem before archiving a cache. If you are the victim of such action, the appropriate response is NOT to whine and archive the rest of your caches and delete all the logs.

Hopefully everyone will learn something from this tragedy and we can avoid such "suicides" again.

Free your mind and the rest will follow 30296_400.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

If you are the victim of such action, the appropriate response is NOT to whine and archive the rest of your caches and delete all the logs.

I agree that there is no legitimate reason or excuse for a cache owner to delete legitimate logs from a cache.

It is, however, absolutely within the rights of any cache owner to archive any cache s/he owns at any time.

A major issue remains, however: Had CO Admin arranged to have the cache removed prior to archiving it (CO Admin had ignored or rejected out-of-hand Disquoi's statement that a surrogate had been arranged for), or was it going to remain as yet another example of "Approver-created GeoLitter?"

I do need to point out that those of you who are discussing CO Admin's actions with regard to Disquoi's cache are doing so based upon less than all of the facts. It might help to know that, when the problem surfaced, the cache was temporarily disabled pending an inquiry from an admin. about the obvious maintenance issues. This is quite common when there is a problem with a cache. It's also way less "drastic" than archiving a cache. When the problem is resolved, the cache can be re-enabled. But in this case, the cache was re-enabled almost immediately by the cache owner. It was only after this took place that the cache was archived (with the text that was quoted earlier in this thread). Even then, the cache could have been unarchived once the requirements for a properly maintained cache were satisfied. Instead the story has a different ending.

There are at least two sides to every story.

BassoonPilot, your statement about "Approver-created GeoLitter" is disrespectful. The cache owner retains primary responsibility for maintaining their cache, including when it is archived. That being said, your statement flies in the face of a lot of hard work on the part of the volunteer admins to clean up after owners who fail to do so. It is an important part of my work and I am grateful to the geocachers who assist me with it.

quote:

BassoonPilot, your statement about "Approver-created GeoLitter" is disrespectful.

No, it appears to have been an accurate portrayal of the event, based on the facts appearing in this thread.

quote:
The cache owner retains primary responsibility for maintaining their cache, including when it is archived.

The active owner did not ask for the cache to be archived. He further stated that a surrogate had been arranged for. He took umbrage with the unwarranted action of CO Admin.

quote:
That being said, your statement flies in the face of a lot of hard work on the part of the volunteer admins to clean up after owners who fail to do so.

What horse hooey. I have seen many caches archived by admins. I have seen precious little evidence, such as notes to cache pages, that would indicate the admin. made any arrangements to have the cache removed, or that an "approver-archived cache" was, in fact, subsequently removed. That is clearly "Approver Created GeoLitter", and there is quite a lot of it about. Even in your post in defense of CO Admin, you made no indication that CO Admin had, in fact, arranged for removal of the cache. Should not a cache remain "temporarily disabled" until such action has occurred?

quote:
It is an important part of my work and I am grateful to the geocachers who assist me with it.

I applaud the good work done by the admins; I condemn the heavy-handedness that is often done in place of good work. It causes more problems than it fixes.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 15, 2003 at 10:16 PM.]

quote:

BassoonPilot, your statement about "Approver-created GeoLitter" is disrespectful.

BassonPilot's reponse:

No, it appears to have been an accurate portrayal of the event, based on the facts appearing in this thread.

In reality, while I was oblivious to all of this hubbub, I found a local New Orleans cacher, Bamboozle, who agreed to fix the cache in question and maintain it.

Still, "Disappointed" / "Disquoi" deleted all of the cache's found logs. Later, after Bamboozle logged that he fixed the cache, he changed his stance and out of the kindness of his heart icon_rolleyes.gif, allowed cachers to relog this cache.

This seems to be yet another case of the highly contagious, and very childish, "take my toys and go home" syndrome.

www.texasgeocaching.com Why do people walk so far out into the woods to drink beer?

quote:
Originally posted by 9Key:

This seems to be yet another case of the highly contagious, and very childish, "take my toys and go home" syndrome.

My comment concerning Disquoi's deleting legitimate finds appears 5 posts above this one. Perhaps your comment should have read 'This seems to be yet another case of the highly contagious, and very childish, "take my toys and go home" syndrome that could have potentially been avoided, if the situation had been handled better.'

I applaud the constructive steps you had taken, 9Key.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 15, 2003 at 11:24 PM.]

Bassoon Pilot, kindly refrain from calling my work and the work of other admins "horse hooey." You should perhaps read the many logs posted in response to "cache should be archived" notes, asking for someone to pick up the cache in order to avoid geo-litter before it's archived. I could provide links to a dozen of these if I saved them for a day or two. Or should I copy you on the e-mails I exchange with geocachers who have volunteered to pick up caches left in inappropriate locations? Should I post pictures of my own trips to do that very thing? Should I link you to the state geo-organization websites that operate "cache rescue lists" with the assistance of volunteer admins?

Or perhaps, as a well-traveled geocacher, you might consider volunteering your own services to assist in this regard? We would welcome your help.

quote:
Or perhaps, as a well-traveled geocacher, you might consider volunteering your own services to assist in this regard? We would welcome your help.

I've fixed up many a "wayward" cache in my day. I don't approve, rather I condemn, the heavy-handed manner in which caches of active geocachers are archived, so I would certainly not volunteer my services in situations like the one discussed in this thread. And as stated previously, arrangements for the removal of any cache need to be made before a cache is archived; not as an after thought.

But thanks for an idea for a swell new project ... I think I shall visit some of the 'Approver Created GeoLitter' sites and photograph some of the problems that you suggest don't exist. I encourage others to do the same.