Rant and Request for solutions: Junked caches

Guest Lord_Pall

quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Pall:

Such as Cardinal rules like :

NO PENCILS

NO GOLFBALLS

My kids love finding things like golf balls and pencils.

I agree: no garbage, but some items are clearly there for the younger generations.

Guest CACHED-AWAY

$0.02 worth? ok......

It's only funny until someone gets hurt.

Then it's hilarious!

but only in some cases...

can't we all just get along?take what u want then leave the rest for others to enjoy.I bet the whiners have placed things that others may have wanted to throw out...Relax it's just a game.

Guest Wesley Horton

Allow me to add my thoughts on the matter of what you can and cannot put into a cache. In my humble opinion, Generally speaking, the cache is the property of the person who placed it. It has an open invitation to everyone to stop by and trade items. While I would not propose a general rule such as, "No one can place such and such item in any cache at any time." But, I do think it proper that if the placer of the cache states on their posting and /or in their log book that they do not want or please do not place any given item, that wish should be respected, after all, it was that person who took the time to build, place and advertise the cache.

Case in point, the cache I placed states on the website that this is a no golf ball site. If I go back in 90 days and find it full of golfballs, you can bet, I will not place any more caches. I enjoyed my first find of treasure and respect everyone elses right to find the same joy. If you want to place a cache and call it "old golf ball" and only have it full of golf balls fine, that is your business, but I would like to know what to expect before I go looking for it. If I want golf balls, I can always visit the driving range.

I think part of the idea is that no cache is forever and since the idea that a cache is NOT abandonded property. (If you ever intend to remove, restock, or replace the cache, whatever the items, they are generally under the control of the person placing it.)

I would also add that the idea of carrying replacement/restocking items to include the log book, the information sheet and other paper or perishable items (should it get wet) is a good one. Remember that if you log a find and state that you replinished it, everyone to follow should know that it is a good cache on such and such a date.

Also remember, that part of the attraction of this sport is that it is somthing a family with children can do. What ever is found is probably infinatly more important to the young ones than any of us older folks. What use is a dozen religious tracts to a 9 year old child? The impression that people just getting into this sport will have with their first or second cahce find is very important. If they find nothing or worse a cache filled with useless junk, they may drop the subject and will never get involved.

Remember too, that it is the new people who will be placing caches in the future. I placed my first cache within 10 days of finding my first and I suspect there are many people like me. If my first cache had been full of old golf balls, I probably would never have gone back. As someone said, your old golfballs are as usefull to me as my old lawnmower spark plug is to you. Well, everyone that has read my cache knows from the outset that I want no golf balls in my cache and if you ever want to find more caches that I have placed, place no golf balls in mine!

Wesley Horton

Guest PharoaH

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley Horton:

As someone said, your old golfballs are as usefull to me as my old lawnmower spark plug is to you.

That was me, and I was laughing then as hard as I am now. I think its just too funny how worked up many of us got over the cache trinkets. At our last geocacher's meeting, I was told that my hiking stick was more like a baseball bat. Now I know what to do with those golf balls icon_biggrin.gif

Guest PharoaH

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley Horton:

As someone said, your old golfballs are as usefull to me as my old lawnmower spark plug is to you.

That was me, and I was laughing then as hard as I am now. I think its just too funny how worked up many of us got over the cache trinkets. At our last geocacher's meeting, I was told that my hiking stick was more like a baseball bat. Now I know what to do with those golf balls icon_biggrin.gif

Guest echosgold

dadgum, too many beers last night, sorry. LOL!

[This message has been edited by echosgold (edited 19 August 2001).]

[This message has been edited by echosgold (edited 19 August 2001).]

I was a bit disappointed to read the post from the person who threw out the contents of someone else's cache because it contained religious materials. This person then went on to lecture about "proper cache ettiquette".

It is never proper ettiquette to trash someone else's cache. Period.

Nobody owns geocaching. It is whatever one wants it to be. When someone takes the time to hide a cache they are entitled to make it whatever they want.

Many are fond of leaving items that have some spiritual signifigance to them as an expression of themselves. For a Christian, a Bible or tract *is* an expression of themself. To trash the cache is to profoundly disrespect your fellow human being and reflects incredible narrow mindedness that says "Since I do not value this thing, it is bad and must be destroyed".

Since I am not religious, I would probably not turn the other cheek if you discarded the contents of my cache and I was able to track you down. I would be more likely to dump your carcass somewhere and send the coordinates to the police department so they could enjoy a geocache.

I simply cannot believe anyone would be so disrespectful of another to trash their cache.