Rainy Day

Guest Paul Lamble

Guest Paul Lamble

I'm told that the reason leaf cover reduces signal quality is because the water in the leaves absorbs the microwaves sent from the satellites. Not knowing any better, I'll assume this is true.

So my question is this, if the sky is overcast or even raining, can't I expect the same or even worse signal degradation as leaf cover would cause? Aren't the clouds filled with water?

I've gone cache hunting on overcast days, and I didn't notice any serious problems. I use an etrex Summit.

PL

Guest bubba232

I've used my Gar III+ driving on forest roads in a snow storm with only a little freakyness once in a while. I would think the signal has to be degradated by (thick) cloud cover.

Leaf water content is almost unmeasurable to that in a cloud. The signal strength has more to do to with line of sight. Think of it as an AM radio signal while going under an overpass. That's if anyone has AM radio anymore icon_wink.gif

I just had an expirence last weekend where it took about two+ minutes and me standing next to a busy road to get a lock on. I was surrounded by thick forest and the only "opening" was the very small parking lot.

Steve

Guest bubba232

I've used my Gar III+ driving on forest roads in a snow storm with only a little freakyness once in a while. I would think the signal has to be degradated by (thick) cloud cover.

Leaf water content is almost unmeasurable to that in a cloud. The signal strength has more to do to with line of sight. Think of it as an AM radio signal while going under an overpass. That's if anyone has AM radio anymore icon_wink.gif

I just had an expirence last weekend where it took about two+ minutes and me standing next to a busy road to get a lock on. I was surrounded by thick forest and the only "opening" was the very small parking lot.

Steve

Guest wtmrn

It is an LOS thing, compare it to a satelite dish for tv. also I have noticed that reciever battery strength plays an important part, especially in the last 100 feet to a locked target.