Whats the farthest/shortest you've traveled to geocache?

I'm taking a survey...

What I wanna know is the farthest you traveled specifically to geocache? Key word is "specifically". I went to LV last year & geocached, but I didn't go there to geocache if you get my meaning. If I went somewhere to geocache & said "let's stop at Dav'e while we're out there" that'd be different.

I am also curious whats the shortest distance you've had to travel as well. I can't do this as a poll so I'll modify my lead post with the winningest answers. Locationless duznt count, but virtuals do. Be sure to tell me what cache you went for.

My answers:

Farthest: 59.8 for Mosconetcong Gorge. First find ever. Excuse me. First search, a NF.

Closest: If I counted locationless, 350 feet. One has to find a civil defense horn and there's one on the building next to my apartment complex. Amazing thing is it took me several days to log it! Nearest cache was .98 for attempt 1 - a nice little park, which I knew was destined to be short lived, and was sadly.

Farthest so far: .1 by Marky

Shortest so far: 140 miles by Pat in louisiana

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

[This message was edited by Gwho on March 29, 2003 at 03:49 AM.]

[This message was edited by Gwho on March 29, 2003 at 03:51 AM.]

My shortest was 0.1 miles from my house. Someone hid a cache just around the block from us. We just went out the front door and walked the short walk to the cache. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Our first find was .3 miles from home. We didn't have a GPS yet so just went on clues, as it was a easy cache.

The farthest we've driven specifically to geocache was 80 miles, and it was a NF - still didn't have GPS, but that one was harder and at that time I hadn't yet discovered lostoutdoors.com which is a great help for caching without GPS or benchmarking.

If I had a better vehicle I'd be all over the place caching.

300 Metres would be my closest as it was just outside my place of work and was the first one I found after discovering geocaching.com that same day. The farthest has to be 100 KM for one that caught my attention as I was looking for a first find cache (I was the 1st finder by the way).

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

quote:
Originally posted by MedicP1:

300 Metres would be my closest as it was just outside my place of work and was the first one I found after discovering geocaching.com that same day. The farthest has to be about 50 KM for one that caught my attention as I was looking for a first find cache (I was the 1st finder by the way).

Can I answer this in three parts?

First is, You are the GPS, at 210 miles. Although, my brother lives in VA, we travled the that particular weekend to hunt this cache with him.

As for a true, cache and dash, we have Manunka Chunck Tunnels, logging in at 56 miles from home.

And then there's: The NJ Statewide Cache Hunt, although the first stage is only 12 miles from home, we drove 410 miles to complete the hunt, which took us across the entire state of New Jersey and took us about 20 hours to complete.

As for the shortest cache, we still have 6 or 7 cache that show up on our nearest to home search page, but I guess it would be 1.5 as the crow flies.

After all, this is coming from two people that will drive 2 hrs to see a 90 minute movie. icon_smile.gif

Okay, shortest was a couple of miles away from the house, but the longest, Austwell by Bro_ray, is 218.6 miles from the houst. The kids and I hit this one and planted a cache, Port O'Connor 4X4, on the way home. We live just north of Houston and Austwell is way down the coast toward Corpus Christi.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

As a trip gets longer other purposes intrude (eating, sightseeing, recreation, etc.) but I've traveled at least 150 miles for the primary purpose of geocaching.

As for short distance, I too have a cache close to home, perhaps a 1000' out the front door. Funny thing is that I wasn't the first to find it. Didn't check the site that day.

But I'd say the closest cache was about 50' away if you allow what is known as a "linked trip" or trip segment. We were driving somewhere for work, using the Garmin V for route navigation, and I noticed that there was a waypoint located a few feet off the road ahead (I had previously downloaded all the cache coordinates for the region but had not planned to hunt in this area). I asked permission to stop, got the Ok, and I found it quickly. Probably parked 30' from it. Quite a few finds have been serendipity but rarely so close.