My signature item prototype- opinions please

Bilder

126215_1700.JPG

I tried to think of something unique and truly Alaskan for a signature item. The result was....

This is genuine Alaskan Moose Doot. Dipped in multiple coats of high gloss varnish (to give it that fresh from the moose look) and topped off with a mild paint job.

Like I said, just a prototype. Trying to figure out a way to get the geocaching.com logo on there. Have yet to find a way without a magifying glass and some steady hands with the paints.

What do you think? Neat? Weird? Too gross?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61* 12.041 W149* 43.734

ROFL!!!

Spewed coke all over my monitor on that one.

Thanks for the laugh!

N61* 12.041 W149* 43.734

Very unique idea for sig. item, I'd walk away with a handful of that moose doot icon_razz.gif

You might consider trying a fancy gold or metallic paint-pen to write on it. There's a ton of pen colors in the craft/office supply stores.

If you drilled a hole in it, you could string it on a lovely golden chain and have yourself a necklace. Perhaps a couple smaller doots could be fashioned into a set of earrings for the ladies....

Ummmm considering it is still organic and capable of decaying... I don't think varnish will keep it preserved for very long. Also consider the fact varnish won't keep this from being crush proof. ick.

You might want to look into some craft supplies to encase it in something like a block of clear acrylic. Then a hole could be drilled to act as a keychain fob or perhaps a pendant.

I had a boss that had a large 4 inch beatle from S. America encased the same way. It worked great!

Cheers!

TL

[This message was edited by TotemLake on July 20, 2003 at 07:32 AM.]

The nuggets vay in size, but they average about an inch long and 3/4 of an inch wide.

They are very dry and the first couple coats of varnish are basically absorbed by the nugget. They are almost completely penetrated by the varnish. This helps in both preservation and also acts like superglue in holding the whole thing together. Would need a hammer to break them up.

I am going to try the paint pens. All I had when I did this one was model paint and a toothpick.

I am trying printed labels, but they dont stick well and the next coats of varnish are making them look cheap as the paper gets wet.

As for the jewelry part, you can buy moose nugget necklaces and such in the tourist shops up here. Not sure how well they sell, but I have seen them.

Will have to see about the arcrylic encasing thing at the craft shop as well.

N61* 12.041 W149* 43.734

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/126215_1700.JPG

I tried to think of something unique and truly Alaskan for a signature item. The result was....

This is genuine Alaskan Moose Doot. Dipped in multiple coats of high gloss varnish (to give it that fresh from the moose look) and topped off with a mild paint job.

Like I said, just a prototype. Trying to figure out a way to get the geocaching.com logo on there. Have yet to find a way without a magifying glass and some steady hands with the paints.

What do you think? Neat? Weird? Too gross?

N61* 12.041 W149* 43.734

Umm...dude your weird!! icon_wink.gif Actually, I've been combing SE MI caches, hoping to find doot in one but so far...no luck! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif

I'm new to geocaching (started last tuesday) but heres what I did for a signature item. I take a penny and grind Lincoln off the one side then I use an engraver to carve my name (lerch) and what number find that particular cache is for me. Exaple: if I'm on my fifth cache my coin would read "lerch" and right below it on the same side "5". I don't know if it's an original idea or not but people snag them up! I even had a guy comment on what a cool idea it was.

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

That is great Lerch! I would grab one if I found it! Welcome BTW!

http://outbreakcorp.hypermart.net/animation/pokemon/pokeanim3.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome. I heard about geocaching last tuesday on the radio and thought I'd give it a shot since I already have a "yellow" Etrex that I use while riding my ATV. I've since ordered a Garmin V for Geocaching and for use on my motorcycle. Not to mention it will come in handy at work since I'm a local truck driver. I also ordered a four pack of travel bugs.

quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome. I heard about geocaching last tuesday on the radio and thought I'd give it a shot since I already have a "yellow" Etrex that I use while riding my ATV. I've since ordered a Garmin V for Geocaching and for use on my motorcycle. Not to mention it will come in handy at work since I'm a local truck driver. I also ordered a four pack of travel bugs.

Whoo Hoo! Sounds like another convert! Welcome aboard (again)! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

Writing on these things is turning out to be tougher than I thought. Why can't moose doot in smooth rather than rough nuggets?

Those paint pens are much better to work with.

Will post a new pic as soon as they dry.

N61* 12.041 W149* 43.734

[This message was edited by Bilder on July 20, 2003 at 11:55 PM.]

126215_2000.jpg

Here are the ones done with paint pens.

Did not take long to get these painted. Varnishing takes days though.

Each one will be a hand crafted one of a kind signature item. Now to get approval for the pseudo logo on them.....

N61* 12.041 W149* 43.734

That is pretty neat. Maybe I'll come up with a way of preserving chihuahua poop and make that into cache booty. Would work well in micro-caches... icon_cool.gif

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

How abour putting a small loop or ring at the end? Then it could be worn as a necklass to events. I have no idea as to the sizes available, are there any small enough to make into a matching set of ear rings?

A matched set would be the hit of any geogathering.