HOW TO TURN AN ADDRESS INTO CORDS?

Guest manuelcasi

Guest manuelcasi

Does any one know of a web site or a way to type in an address and get cords.? So when some one gives you an address you can get the cords and use your gps to get there instead of printing out all those yahoo maps!

Guest ALacy

I used Testdrive Eagle Geocoding before I heard of geocaching.

But Mapsonus has an option to display Lat/long for turns. So the last time I used them to plan a route, I just made waypoints by copying and pasting the coordinates for each turn into mapsource (I have a gramin GPS) then connected them into a route.

Guest makaio

Using MapBlast ( www.mapblast.com ), if you enter the address and produce the map, it lists the coords in the upper righthand corner above the map in hddd.dddddd format.

I entered my hoem address and it was accurate to 3 decimal places which should get you pretty close to your destination.

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Difficult to answer with no area entered. Many towns, cities are using GIS for fire/police/public works. Smacks of BIG BROTHER, but can get a fire engine to your house pretty fast. Some towns let you access this, others, no dice. I live in a town with villages, pretty old.

Guest bunkerdave

IT might not be very helpful to you, but when I purchsed a new Dell computer, I got some really good mapping software with it. The software is: Microsoft Streets and Trips 2001. It has essentially everyting I have found on my Delorme Topo Maps and then some. Doesn't give the elevation, Lat/Lon support. The only thing is it uses UTM as a default, so you have to make that simple conversion. I think you can use WGS84, too, but I have not figured that out yet. The way I do it, is I type in the address, it finds it, then I just click on "Location Sensor" and click on the location it gave me on my map. Then the Sensor shows the coordinates of the location in UTM, which I can plug into my GPS. In case you don't know the conversion from WGS84 to UTM, it is the minutes, i.e., 40.3456 divided by 60. So if your Latitude is N40 degrees, 40.3456, in WGS84, your UTM would be N40.6724. You probably already know that, but many might not. To reverse the conversion, just multiply the number to the right of the decimal, here: .6724 by 60, to get WGS84 40.3456. It is important to realize, too , that UTM shows west and south as negative numbers, so keep that in mind. - BunkerDave

Guest makaio

The best convertor is your GPS unit. Set you GPS Navigation to use the hddd.dddd format and punch in the coords as shown on MapBlast (or whatever map program you're using). Then simply change the GPS Navigation back to hddd mm.mmm format and you have the coords in the format we use.

For the purpose you mentioned in your initial post (directions to an address), it really doesn't matter which format you use as your Go To function will point to the same spot regardless of which format you provide the coords in.

Guest ALacy

quote:
Originally posted by mkral:

aLacy, I checked out Mapsonus, but couldn;'t find the lat/long option anywhere. Any help on how to activate this feature would be welcome.

On left under "Tools" is "General Options" click it then check the option "Show Latitude & Longitude"

Guest bacpac

This is not true. UTM cannot be calculated by dividing by 60. UTM is completely different. UTM uses distance (meters) instead of anglular degrees.

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

. In case you don't know the conversion from WGS84 to UTM, it is the minutes, i.e., 40.3456 divided by 60. So if your Latitude is N40 degrees, 40.3456, in WGS84, your UTM would be N40.6724. - BunkerDave