FRS RADIO USE WHILE GEOCACHING?

OK, I'm new to caching so answer me this.....

I know that we have an frs freq of 2 subcode 12, but does anyone out there use it. I live in the Harrisburg, PA area and am a reasonably social person. I don't want to waste the time or batteries monitoring the freq or calling cachers that aren't there. Also, I don't want to tick any body off that dosen't want to be bothered.

icon_smile.gif good or icon_frown.gif bad, let me know what you think.

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

quote:
Originally posted by SpinnerB82002:

"...I know that we have an frs freq of 2 subcode 12..."

Actually, it's FRS channel 2 with FRS channel 12 as an alternate ...in either case, there is no sub-code.

http://canflag.ptbcanadian.com/images/animated/provii/ontario1.gif

Thanks for the correction icon_smile.gif. But, coes any one use them icon_confused.gif????

011.jpg

If I didn't want to be bothered, I would use the "OFF" feature on my radio.

I carry my radios in my pack, but I don't often turn them on. They're kind of an afterthought. Once in a while, I'll try to raise a cacher. No success, so far. I did get some noise on 12 a couple of weeks ago, but it was too garbled, and no local cachers answered when I asked in the MiGO forums if it was any of them.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut

I always cache hunt with my 13 year old son. We each carry an FRS radio, allowing us to venture out of sight of each other while still keeping in touch (sure beats yelling "I found it!" when you might not want to draw unwanted attention to yourself). Since the FRS GeoCaching channels were established, we've made a point of using Ch 2. So far, we've yet to hear any other GeoCachers 'on-air', but the odds of that happening are only as good as the amount of traffic that a particular cache would otherwise be expected to have on a given day (and since we aren't 'high volume' GeoCachers, the odds are reduced even further).

As Criminal alluded to, it would be interesting to plant a cache within a mile or so of your home and make specific mention of monitoring FRS Ch 2 in the cache's online description (...then being able to potentially chat with folks who hunt/find your cache from the comfort of your living room icon_smile.gif !).

ontario1.gif

I very rarly even run into another geocacher out in the woods. Even if there was a fellow cacher in the woods he might not even have a radio with him. (I don't carry one) So I doubt you'll have much luck contacting them with the radio. but I'd keep trying if nice to meet fellow cachers. The easiest way to know if theres one nearby is to look at the cars. You can usaully spot one out with a Geocaching sticker. Then head to the closest cache.

From looking at the find logs of caches in my area, there are lots of cachers running into one another. I live in the land of the CCCooper Agency. Thx to everyone for your input. I guess I'll turn the radio on and see what happens.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you. Matt 6:33

FYI from an old thread. Be sure to use the "official" Geocaching radio call.

I started to think last night that if we do come up with an official "call" on the radio, we may be giving the enemy our position. What I mean is that park Ranger (not all) who are looking to Ban geo-caching may start to monitor the radio as well and move in for a surprise ambush. So I thought we should make a "call" that only geocahers would recognize. We would have to change it every so often. I came up with something. It goes like this.

1st geocacher on the radio

"The purple cow sings moon-river at midnight"

2nd geocaher would respond with

"The chicken eats mercury in Main"

What do you guys think?

The old thread I got an FRS radio now what?

Forgive them Father, for they know not why they press enter

www.ManuelCasillas.com