How long before placing first cache?

Hiding your first cache is one of those things where a modicum of procrastination is a good thing. Of course, you don't want to wait forever, but waiting one more week is often a good idea.

Now, if you want quantitative answers, just find some poor caches around, and look at when they were hidden relative to the hider's first find. Chances are, you'll find that while time-to-hide is a valid measure, at least in part, the hider matters much, much more.

Some key points to remember:

Don't hide an old shoe.*

Do use an appropriate container.

Don't be afraid to fix your cache.

Do maintain/upgrade it as needed.

Don't worry about it, as long as you...

Do think about it before you drop it.

*Regarding the "old shoe" comment: Someone actually *did* drop a pair of old shoes in the woods and called it a cache. If you do something like that, people will despise your caches, but if you put a bit more time, effort, and thought into it, at worst they'll respect your caches and at best they'll absolutely love them.

If you have a primo spot picked out that you don't think anyone else knows about, you'll be ticked when someone drops one there a week before you do.

If you have a lot of multi-caches in the same area where the final co-ords are not posted and therefore unknown, be sure to do them so as not to unknowingly place your cache uncomfortably close.

After you visit a few good ones you get the idea on what makes a good one, and what makes a bad one.

There are great threads for determining final co-ords in this forume, I've still yet to master that one. I'm always off by a bit when I go to place(Ack!).

Cheers!

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

...*Regarding the "old shoe" comment: Someone actually _*did*_ drop a pair of old shoes in the woods and called it a cache. If you do something like that, people will despise your caches, but if you put a bit more time, effort, and thought into it, at worst they'll respect your caches and at best they'll absolutely love them.

Actually I could use a pair of brown loafers for the summer, size 9 1/2, un-used however if you're really in a magnanamous mood, I really need a digital camera. Why don't you email me your cache page for review so I can check it out for errors before you post it. icon_wink.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

...*Regarding the "old shoe" comment: Someone actually _*did*_ drop a pair of old shoes in the woods and called it a cache. If you do something like that, people will despise your caches, but if you put a bit more time, effort, and thought into it, at worst they'll respect your caches and at best they'll absolutely love them.

Actually I could use a pair of brown loafers for the summer, size 9 1/2, un-used however if you're really in a magnanamous mood, I really need a digital camera. Why don't you email me your cache page for review so I can check it out for errors before you post it. icon_wink.gif

Alan

I had one find before I placed my first cache. It's worked out well and still may be one of my best as far as location and contents. Since finding others, I realized I didn't have to put as much thought and expense into the contents. Still, its probably a good idea to find to find a few before placing them. Then you have a good idea of what works and what doesn't. I'd say 6 is a good number if I have to come up with one.

I logged my first cache on April 20th and placed my first cache on May 1st. (I currently have 8 finds.)

My first cache is a micro and very near my home. I did purchase 3 ammo boxes recently and natually they will become caches as well. However, I am not going to just toss them out there.

Today, I spent over 2 hours scouting the location for my next cache. I hope to place it by end of the month. It will be a medium in difficulty.

As for when, I do think it is important to find a few and really read the information provided and to scope out the forums. Thinking and planning is the most important part.

The best things in life are not things...