Anti-Locations

DisQuoi

I was considering proposing a locationless cache that would require photos (of your GPSr) in anti-locations ... two locations on opposite sides of the planet. However, I have come to realize that there are not many anti-locations that are both on land.

For example, below is my anti-house ... very wet. Does anyone "anti-live" in a cool location? It'd be fun to be able to say you live in "Anti-Mecca" or in "Anti-Red Square" ... or even in the middle of the Anti-Saharan Desert!

32523_7300.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi:

Below is a overlay of the earth showing those locations with land-land anti-locations ... In the US, you'd have to be in the south-west to have a land-based anti-location (shown in red)

I love the map, it clearly shows the few areas where the opposite side of the world is land. They are called antipodes and Isaac Asimov wrote an essay about them that appeared in "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction" (Jan 1967 issue) and later in the book collection of essay called "Science, Numbers and I" (published 1968). I don't remember any details, but I'll see if I can find it at home and check it out.

Hate to say it but I think the posted map is wrong. For example, the closest large land mass to the antipode of Southern California is Madagascar.

Although its hard to figure out it looks like maybe the map maker assumed that negative longitude is the antipode of longitude. 'Taint true, 180 E = 180 W. The antipode of 180 E is 0.

Latitude reversal looks right though, negative latitude works.

PS: Upon further inspection you can see that Africa overlaps with itself...

[This message was edited by oplopanax on March 26, 2003 at 10:11 AM.]

I don't think the overlay is accurate. If I understand the concept correctly, latitude degrees would be a simple matter of swapping north and south; but to get the antipodal longitude, you would have to subract the coordinate from 180 as well as swapping east and west. For example, the antipode of W5° is E175°.

The northern end of the Gulf of California is ~ N32° / W115°. That would make the antipode S32° / E65° (in the ocean between Africa and Australia.) Yet the overlay shows a point on the Australian coast roughly corresponding to S32° / E125°, an error of ~3500 mi.

Or am I missing something? icon_confused.gif

edit: Sorry for the repeat; when I started my reply, the previous one had not yet been posted.

Worldtraveler

Nice catch ... I'm made the map using Microsoft Streets & Trips and manually overlaid the two views. I flipped the eastern hemispere horizontally and vertically (effectively rotated it 180 degrees). This time I simply flipped it vertically ... much better. Alas ... still not very many oportunistic places to show land-land anti-locations (I mean "antipodes") ... by the way, I'd love to read the Isaac Asimov essay if you have it, RogBarn.

Anyone planning a trip to Hawaii and Botswana this summer?

... or a trip to the Kerguelen Islands in the the Indian Oceas, then heading over to Alberta Canada?

32523_7500.JPG

[This message was edited by DisQuoi on March 26, 2003 at 10:51 AM.]

quote:

I was considering proposing a locationless cache...

I think your idea more closely fits the moving virtual cache concept (similar to the photography caches.) While the first location could be somewhat arbitrary, the antipode would be a definite and unique location on the globe to which you could navigate using your GPSr. And given the limiting factors of corresponding land mass and accessibility, even your first location would have to be carefully chosen.

Worldtraveler

[This message was edited by worldtraveler on March 26, 2003 at 11:39 AM.]

I'd like to go visit my anti-location sometime, and then log into the forums. In that anti-forum, I would find:

• Majicman is a forum moderator, and everyone accuses Elias of trolling
  • Markwell is always beginning his posts with "I know this has probably been discussed someplace before...."
  • BruceS posting a lot in the "Getting Started" forum
  • Mopar complaining that he can only post late at night after getting home from work
  • All of ClayJar's posts beginning with "One time when I was hunting this cool microcache in the city...."; and
  • The Leprechauns' avatar is a picture of some good-looking guy with hair.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

I'd like to go visit my anti-location sometime, and then log into the forums. In that anti-forum, I would find:

+ Majicman is a forum moderator, and everyone accuses Elias of trolling+ Markwell is always beginning his posts with "I know this has probably been discussed someplace before...."+ BruceS posting a lot in the "Getting Started" forum+ Mopar complaining that he can only post late at night after getting home from work+ All of ClayJar's posts beginning with "One time when I was hunting this cool microcache in the city...."; and+ The Leprechauns' avatar is a picture of some good-looking guy with hair.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

Ahhh! To be a forum moderator!

Jeez! It would be like The Three Stooges meets the Marx Brothers!

What an outstanding idea!! (And we'll call it the "Official Geocaching.com Off Topic and Zany stuff Forum!"

I LIVE for that day...

--majicman

quote:

by the way, I'd love to read the Isaac Asimov essay if you have it, RogBarn.

It’s an interesting essay, about 12 pages. Some tidbits:

The antipodal patch for whole 48 contiguous states is completely in the ocean. The largest bit of dry land is Kerguelen Island (alternate name is Desolation Island) about 1,400 miles north of the coast of Antarctica. It’s area is 1,300 square miles. It’s antipodal area lies in Montana where the junction of Alberta and Saskatchewan meet.

The only other patches of land that he could find were two small islands, Amsterdam Island (25 sq. miles) and St. Paul Island (3 sq. miles). Their antipodal points are in eastern Colorado.

After noting how the antipodal area for the entire continent of North America is essentially all ocean, he then examines Hawaii. Amazingly, the antipodal area for Hawaii is in southern Africa and in fact, the antipodal point for Honolulu is not too far from the town of Ghanzi in Botswana.

The he makes a few interesting points; the antipodal point for London, of course, lies on the 180 degree longitude line, and the nearest bit of land is a group of rocky islands with a total area about that of Manhattan. And the name of this little group of islands? “Aw, cone on, Guess!” he says. “Give up? Okay, they’re the Antipodes Islands”.

The antipodal point for Shanghai, China (population 7,000,000) is about 225 miles north of Buenos Aires, Argentina, (population 3,000,000) the only case of antipodal Great Cities (Great Cities is an earlier essay, defined as cities with a population of over 1 million).

So, DisQuoi, you got two of the ones he mentioned. Good job!

I had fun reading this again (it’s probably been 30 years since I read it the first time) so thanks for reading this far. Asimov is much better writer than I, so find the book and read it for yourself. It's fascinating.

Has anybody read Umberto Eco's "Island of the Day Before"?

The date line is the anti-longitude of Greenwich (plus and minus)... One of the ... concepts ... in the book is that when the ship is anchored off an island that is on the other side of the date line, if they leave the ship to go to the island the crew on the ship wouldn't know they arrived until the next day.

Bizarre. icon_eek.gif