Pay to Cache?

Guest celts

Guest celts

Recently, we had planned to search for several caches in one day. When we got to two of them, we discovered they both charged an admission fee. While it was only $5.00, it was still something we hadn't anticipated. They were both state parks in Indiana.We were slightly taken aback, because Illinois has no charges to use the state parks in our area.

We wouldn't have minded as much if we were actually going to have time to spend hours in each park, but we were basically there on that day to cache hunt.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Does anyone think it should be posted on the cache site that there will be an admission charge, or should it be up to the seeker to do research ahead of time to see if it's someplace that requires cash to cache?

Guest Cisupete

Good Question. Here in Indiana, there is a $3.00 admission charge to state parks for in-state residents, and a $5.00 charge for out of state visitors. Unfortunate, but what to do? On one hand, the parks are beautiful, and have wonderful spots to hide a cache. On the other hand, if you are on a "cache-athon" this could run in to some bucks.

I actually plan to hide a cache in a state park soon and I will be anxious to see responses to this thread. By posting the admission fee on the site, would I being giving away any part of the challenge?

Guest celts

Not only might you be giving away part of the challenge, but I also wonder if you would keep people from searching for your cache simply BECAUSE they see they have to pay an admission.

Guest Cisupete

Hmmm, Let's look on the bright side: You could hit half a dozen parks, and still spend less than you would on a round of golf !! icon_smile.gif

I am curious. How many other states charge admission to State Parks or Recreational Areas ??

Guest Cisupete

Hmmm, Let's look on the bright side: You could hit half a dozen parks, and still spend less than you would on a round of golf !! icon_smile.gif

I am curious. How many other states charge admission to State Parks or Recreational Areas ??

Guest MNMartian

Minnesota has a charge for using it's State Parks. The same for anyone.

Wisconsin does too. Recently I went to Pattison Park (just outside of Superior, Wisconsin)to seek a cache, only to find that they charged an extra $2 for out-of-state residents! I told the Park guy that it wasn't an incentive to get out-of-state people to come see their park by charging extra! He didn't seem to care about charging extra and told me that I did get a FREE park map!

Guest k2dave

I would post it and have posted the fees. One thing to note some states (NY) allows you to pay once and visit multiple parks in the same day.

Also if practical post alternative parking areas that are free but may be further away.

Guest celts
Originally posted by Cisupete:

If I'd been going out for a round of golf, I would have known in advance that I was going to have to pay for the privelege--and I would have been prepared. Generally, when I go caching, I have usually just had to make sure I had enough gas in the family truckster to get there and back.

Guest celts
Originally posted by Cisupete:

If I'd been going out for a round of golf, I would have known in advance that I was going to have to pay for the privelege--and I would have been prepared. Generally, when I go caching, I have usually just had to make sure I had enough gas in the family truckster to get there and back.

Guest c.mathis

If your cache is within an area that requires fees it should be noted in the description. It's no different than telling people they can/can't have a mountain bike or dog in the area.

[This message has been edited by c.mathis (edited 04 August 2001).]

Guest Sekafetz

Both myself and another geocacher were disscussing this very topic. In Oregon, the cost of the state day use parks is $3-$5 or a yearly pass for $25. We thought that some of the parks would make great places due to thier historical value, but the amount of time a cacher normally spends seeking a cache doesn't seem to be fair for the price to pay. We opted not to hind them as there are plenty of other city, county and cool out of the way parks to hide caches in. Our two penny's thoughts.

------------------

Sekafetz

Keizer, Oregon

Guest Cisupete

Thanks, Sekafetz for reply. It sounds like you guys in Oregon are lucky to have several choices for "hiding grounds". It's a little tougher in Indiana. With so much farm land, I fear I might trespass without even knowing it. City parks are free, but few that I know around have trails. They are all well manicured, so the chance of a groundskeeper running across a cache is higher.

I will post the fee on the site, and hope that as I express my pride in the natural beauty of the Hoosier State, everyone will jump at the chance for the adventure - even if they have to pay.

Guest TeamHighDensity

Yes,I think that it should be noted that you have to pay a park fee. FYI,Vermont charges for entrance to their parks. I can't remember how much,though.

-THD

------------------

Guest Robereno

In California we have the National Forest Adventure Pass. $5 per day or $30 for a year. I didn?t mention the requirement on my last cache and one of the seekers had to run into town to buy the thing. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4522

I guess I thought it was common knowledge though not everyone is familiar with the system. I?d also hate to have someone get a ticket while searching for a bucket of Beanie Babies. icon_smile.gif

Guest Robereno

In California we have the National Forest Adventure Pass. $5 per day or $30 for a year. I didn?t mention the requirement on my last cache and one of the seekers had to run into town to buy the thing. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4522

I guess I thought it was common knowledge though not everyone is familiar with the system. I?d also hate to have someone get a ticket while searching for a bucket of Beanie Babies. icon_smile.gif

Guest MNMartian

I agree about posting fees on the cache site. Then I will know how much $ to bring! It also could help someone who may be driving several hours to seek a cache and come unprepared to pay the fee.

Guest celts

quote:
Originally posted by MNMartian:

It also could help someone who may be driving several hours to seek a cache and come unprepared to pay the fee.

That's one thing that irked me about the situation. We had driven 80 miles to get to the first site--and really would have been upset if we'd not had the $5.00.

Guest arffer

I hunted a 2 stage cache a couple of weeks ago. In the description, I was told up front that $2 would be needed for parking at the second stage. I was glad to know I needed cash for the cache, so I was prepared.

It didn't give anything away in the hunt, as I had in my mind some kind of a parking garage or lot, and I turned out to have been completely wrong.

So I agree, fees should be listed.

Guest twenty4isalways1

I think it is fine to put a cache where there is an admission charge; however, it definitly should be posted on the site that a fee is required. I don't think it would be giving away part of the challenge. It would help cachers be prepared for their adventure. Otherwise, they could drive pretty far and be frustrated that they didn't bring enough money (exactly what could've happened to you). I don't think it would discourage people from going to the site.

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by celts:

That's one thing that irked me about the situation. We had driven 80 miles to get to the first site--and really would have been upset if we'd not had the $5.00.

Just as we carry many items when hiking, in case of an emergency, is it wise to drive 80 miles without any cash? I can't imagine leaving the house for the day without any money.

This has nothing to do with the fact that we SHOULD mention fees in our cache descriptions.

Guest MNMartian

Paying a fee to go in the parks doesn't turn me away. It gives me a reason I might not have had otherwise to go there. I'd just like to know about it beforehand so I can plan to go searching around a payday or make plans to spend more time there since I'm paying for the time I am there!

Guest Ginger

As prepared as we (geocachers) all claim to be, knowing if there is a Charge (no matter the amount) would be considerably helpful. You may be in a position where you have your coordinates locked into your GPS on a multi-cache day and discover that hey I'm going to be closer to this one than I thought, drive the extra distance to the cache only to discover that it costs money to enter the park.

So, in short, my vote is to be considerate enough to let the rest of the "family" know if they should bring cash. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Ginger

As prepared as we (geocachers) all claim to be, knowing if there is a Charge (no matter the amount) would be considerably helpful. You may be in a position where you have your coordinates locked into your GPS on a multi-cache day and discover that hey I'm going to be closer to this one than I thought, drive the extra distance to the cache only to discover that it costs money to enter the park.

So, in short, my vote is to be considerate enough to let the rest of the "family" know if they should bring cash. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest EyezOfTheWorld

Just found one in South Carolina where if you don't have your own boat or don't have a friend with one you've got one heckuva long swim or pay $30 for the ferry! Listed on May 19, no one's visited and maybe that $30 is part of the reason.

Guest Ginger

I don't believe that posting a charge (if there is one) will keep people from visiting these caches. It will make them more prepared and possibly help them plan their day around this one area rather than visiting it only for the cache sake only to find out it was a wasted trip. (Lack of money).

Guest makaio

Here's a cache I posted many months ago. I noted that there is a trailhead parking fee to use this area (one could park elsewhere but would chance being towed).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1343

The seeker has the option of parking at the trailhead without displaying a pass and may even get to the cache and back before a ranger could discover and ticket the vehicle, however, it's hardly worth chancing for the price of the citation.