How do you hold your III+ (or other simular models)

Guest k2dave

Guest k2dave

Do you hold it in vertical or horizontal mode? I know horiz. mode is more suited for driving and vert. is more suited for hiking but I tend to use horz. mode for both. I will sometimes switch to vert mode if I need to see more of the map in that direction.

Guest Sluggo

K2dave,

I hold my GPS III Pilot in the horizonal mode. No particular reason, I just got used to that orientation using it while flying and driving.

Guest ALacy

I use it in horizonal when driving which is the only choice. I tend to use it in vertical mode when cache hunting. The main reason is that the fields on the map page can be different on the different modes. So I have the fields I want for driving on horizonal, and the ones I want for cache hunting on vertical. That way I just change mode, and have such things as arrow and bearing showing for cache hunting without having to change the fields.

Guest db8tr

I hold my Garmin III+ vertically. For me, it just fits in the hand more naturally and thus more securely. When I am on the trail (or off as is so often the case icon_smile.gif ) I always have the wrist strap connected to my hand. I am very happy that this model is supposed to be shock resistant, but I don't really want to test it. In the car it is mounted on the dash horizontally with an external antenna.

Guest db8tr

I hold my Garmin III+ vertically. For me, it just fits in the hand more naturally and thus more securely. When I am on the trail (or off as is so often the case icon_smile.gif ) I always have the wrist strap connected to my hand. I am very happy that this model is supposed to be shock resistant, but I don't really want to test it. In the car it is mounted on the dash horizontally with an external antenna.

Guest Mike_Teague

I'm with ALacy..

Have been using a GPS III for a few years now, I use it in horizontal (landscape?) map mode velcro'ed to the dash, with non-geocaching type fields (speed, track, altitude, distance to next wpt) while driving, flying, boating, etc.

But while geocaching or hiking, I hold it in my hand using the vertical (portrait?) map mode and have the fields set up as speed, bearing, altitude, and distance to next wpt.. (yeah, not much different -- I have good reasons though -- just ask me icon_smile.gif

vertically oriented does fit in the hand better if yer carrying it..

Guest Mike_Teague

I'm with ALacy..

Have been using a GPS III for a few years now, I use it in horizontal (landscape?) map mode velcro'ed to the dash, with non-geocaching type fields (speed, track, altitude, distance to next wpt) while driving, flying, boating, etc.

But while geocaching or hiking, I hold it in my hand using the vertical (portrait?) map mode and have the fields set up as speed, bearing, altitude, and distance to next wpt.. (yeah, not much different -- I have good reasons though -- just ask me icon_smile.gif

vertically oriented does fit in the hand better if yer carrying it..

Guest gstrong1

Ditto- Horizontal on the garmin beanbag mount in whatever vehicle I happen to be driving & vertical while geocaching and/or hiking.Have 3 great Garmin units, the III Plus being the one I depend on the most while caching. No matter what the conditions,(tree cover etc.),this unit does the job again & again. A fantastic GPS. icon_biggrin.gif. --Gimpy--

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest gstrong1

Ditto- Horizontal on the garmin beanbag mount in whatever vehicle I happen to be driving & vertical while geocaching and/or hiking.Have 3 great Garmin units, the III Plus being the one I depend on the most while caching. No matter what the conditions,(tree cover etc.),this unit does the job again & again. A fantastic GPS. icon_biggrin.gif. --Gimpy--

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest bridaw

I also agree with ALacy. I have been using my III+ for over a year and I find that I want to see different data fields when I am driving vs. walking -because I can! It really is a powerful feature if you take the time to customize your III+ data fields.

It is almost like having two units -all screens switch their data fields simply by holding down the "page" button. It fits in my hand better (or pocket) while in "portrait" mode vs "landscape".

I purchased an eTrex Legend as a 2nd unit and it really bugs me sometimes that I cannot switch the screen orientation or switch data fields by choosing between preset configurations. That is what the III+ provides when you think about it -two configuration sets that can be switched on the fly vs. a field by field switchover. The III+ as my first unit must have spoiled me. icon_wink.gif

------------------

Brian & Terry

San Diego, CA

Guest bridaw

I also agree with ALacy. I have been using my III+ for over a year and I find that I want to see different data fields when I am driving vs. walking -because I can! It really is a powerful feature if you take the time to customize your III+ data fields.

It is almost like having two units -all screens switch their data fields simply by holding down the "page" button. It fits in my hand better (or pocket) while in "portrait" mode vs "landscape".

I purchased an eTrex Legend as a 2nd unit and it really bugs me sometimes that I cannot switch the screen orientation or switch data fields by choosing between preset configurations. That is what the III+ provides when you think about it -two configuration sets that can be switched on the fly vs. a field by field switchover. The III+ as my first unit must have spoiled me. icon_wink.gif

------------------

Brian & Terry

San Diego, CA

Guest k2dave

Yes I feel that I really lucked out getting the 3+ model - It seems like it's one of the best made in terms of features, customization, and ability to hold a lock.