Apparel

Too often I am out caching and I can't believe that I am the only one that is getting looks from the non cachers wondering as to what it is I am doing? Some times caches are placed in somewhat strange or comprising areas...i.e.. by federal buildings.. schools.. parks.. etc. People see you snooping around and with the world the way it is now. I was thinking that I would buy me a fishing vest.. Mesh type and place some GPS?Geo patches on it so that I would perhaps look a little more official or that I at least wasn't trying to avoid suspicion. This wasy it would look like I was there for a reason..Has any one ever thought of doing this in bulk and making it available on the site?

Clipboard is a good idea and maybe binoculars, or a big camera. You can pretend you're a birder or photographer.

Or better yet, go to a costume store and buy a police uinform. You can pretend you're a cop!

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by FlyfisherKen:

...often I am out caching and I can't believe that I am the only one that is getting looks from the non cachers wondering as to what it is I am doing?

This is an oft-cited phenomenon. The thing is, I don't think I've ever felt like people were looking at me during my cache hunts. Admittedly, only a few of mine have been urban, but even in those cases I've never felt like people were suspicious of me.

I have a couple of theories.

• Due to my incredible skills, I can blend in almost anywhere
  • I haven't hunted enough urban caches
  • You're experiencing paranoia
I tend to think it's paranoia. You feel like you're doing something suspicious, so you regard other folks' normal looks and glances as suspicious, when in fact most of them probably don't give a rat's arse what you're doing.

Jamie

I went out with Dinoprophet to a cache located near a 'water power plant' to get it off our lists. He brought a hunters' orange mesh vest and a clipboard. We would have looked very official had we needed it icon_smile.gif

Turns out the description is utterly incorrect and the coordinates are off by .33 miles (we found it by hints alone). Oh well. A vest and a clipboard can take you a long way. In college, my best buddy and I had a saying "Look like you're supposed to be doing what you're doing - and noone will ask any questions." Whether that be taking tables off the quad during events, stealing wet floor signs from in front of the residence hall director, etc. Just look like you're suppposed to be there and noone will ask anything. Need some help? Clipboards are great for that icon_smile.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

I think most people have discovered this by accident. Orange vests work as do hard hats in certain situations. If you are looking for a cache in urban areas it is best to go with at least 7 other people. If only one of you is doing anything, you will just like you're city workers. icon_biggrin.gif

I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

I've noticed from some of the articles in the forums that quite a few geocachers tend to be a bit paranoid about others when hunting a cache. A Sherlock Holmes style hat might be the perfect disguise. One couldn't tell if you're coming or going. Of course, if everyone started to wear these, that would defeat the purpose. But then again, this could serve to alert the general populace to keep a safe distance.

(above copied from another post)

I thought this could use a bump from way back when. I saw the two costumes above and was wondering if anyone else had any other brilliant costumes ideas they wanted to share. Sadly, my custom tailor hasn't finished my GeoMan suit yet.... oh wait, I don't have a custom tailor. Anyway, I've never cached in costume, but apparently some do.