Is this a cache or trash?

Harrald

*EDIT*

I was trying not to post a link to avoid a controversy. I would like to keep this flame free.

Recently a new cache has popped up in my area. It’s just a ziplock bag. Inside is a piece of

paper and a pencil. Also there is some mystery item that the placer asked to be left with

the cache.

That’s all. It even states on the cache page that it was placed on a whim.

Just curious

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

39478_400.jpg

[This message was edited by Harrald on April 23, 2002 at 12:55 PM.]

As long as there's something that approximates a log book, I think it's a cache, especially if it's placed in an interesting locale.

A ziploc is an ideal container for a log-only cache. It's much flatter and easier to conceal from non-cachers than a bulky piece of tupperware or an ammo can.

I have put out micro caches with nothing but a pencil and rolled up piece of paper in them before. Not all caches have to have lovely items in them. My micro caches are usually in a local park with lots of people around, so they are much easier to conceal.

While I think remote caches should have the normal stuff in them, I'd rather have this ziplock cache to find than no cache.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

YOu know, caching is about finding your intended target and leaving a mark upon it. It is for self satisfaction. Admit it- Finding a cache fills you with self admiration and a feeling of accomplishment while not finding one get you dissapointed, even if you dont' admit to it.

If you REALLY wanted the items in a cache, you would just visit a dollar store and buy a bunch of worthless crap that has no real value. These things only make souveneers for caching. THe real fun is being able to navigate and find your target.

So you tell me... is that cache really a cache? Would it make you happy to try to find it and would you be pleased and satisfied if you were not only able to do so, but to log it on the site? I am willing to bet the answer is "yes" and thay you would still get the same feeling of accomplishment as a cache with lots of dollar-store items inside. icon_wink.gif

YOu know, caching is about finding your intended target and leaving a mark upon it. It is for self satisfaction. Admit it- Finding a cache fills you with self admiration and a feeling of accomplishment while not finding one get you dissapointed, even if you dont' admit to it.

If you REALLY wanted the items in a cache, you would just visit a dollar store and buy a bunch of worthless crap that has no real value. These things only make souveneers for caching. THe real fun is being able to navigate and find your target.

So you tell me... is that cache really a cache? Would it make you happy to try to find it and would you be pleased and satisfied if you were not only able to do so, but to log it on the site? I am willing to bet the answer is "yes" and thay you would still get the same feeling of accomplishment as a cache with lots of dollar-store items inside. icon_wink.gif

Judging by the link posted by BassoonPilot I'd have to say cache. Looks like the view would be very interesting. I'm not one for taking trinkets from caches so a log book is all I really need. If there were something that really caught my eye, I'd trade but as a general rule I take nothing and leave an old coin. If this cache got many visitors, a more substantial logbook may be needed.

Other than that, I have no recollection, Senator.

After looking at the link, I think it's definately a cache. What's the difference between a ziploc and a film cannister? Not much. I'm personally not a fan of micro caches (though I do have one out there). In this case, perhaps the cache owner could have put a little more time and effort into the making of an intersting cache, but it IS a legit cache...and a whole lot better than some of the stuff I've seen out there.

Yep, I'd say that its a cache. Starting with a very basic cache, and giving other people the chance to let it "evolve" is a new idea to me, but an interesting one. From the description given, it sounds like they may have been out hiking, liked the area enough to put a virtual there, but found nothing in the area for a cacher to look for, so they improvised with what was on hand. Just my guess at the story though. icon_wink.gif

Definately a cache (from the pictures it looks like a fairly good one at that). The placers of this cache were completely up front with what to expect so those who are really into trading "treasure" could skip it if they chose. (its quite a coincidence because I visited an almost identical cache on the weekend and I really quite enjoyed it).

Yep, I'd say that its a cache. Starting with a very basic cache, and giving other people the chance to let it "evolve" is a new idea to me, but an interesting one. From the description given, it sounds like they may have been out hiking, liked the area enough to put a virtual there, but found nothing in the area for a cacher to look for, so they improvised with what was on hand. Just my guess at the story though. icon_wink.gif

The area looks deserving of a cache. And a new catagory - Do It Yourself Cache. If you want to hunt it as is go for it. If you have time and want to help better the cache, take in a container and tradeables. I think these placers just found a nice area they wanted to share and maybe not the time to return a to do the cache more conventionally. So let's help DIY!

It may have been placed on a whim but it looks like the hider had good motives and kept to the spirit of the game.

Nothing was defaced or disturbed from what I can tell. Based on what I have read and the pictures I viewed, If I had found it, I'd post it proudly.

geosign.gif

I guess it's a cache. This is the reason I asked. It looked to me to be a lot like the cache that was just a candle wrapped in cellophane.

I didn't want to insult the placer so I asked the question and sent the link to a few "old timers" (in relative terms) that answered in the thread. They all agreed that it is a cache. I guess as an apology I should find it and upgrade the container. I'll try. Considering the guys that live near me though I bet it's already been found and about to be logged. I'll do my best though.

Thanks for the input and keeping this thread civil.

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

39478_400.jpg

I visited the 3 Kings - Hook Mountain cache this morning. It was a very enjoyable hike to a spectacular destination. The ziploc bag was probably the best choice for the location they chose, although I did make it slightly less accessible to critters, and suggested to the owners that they up the difficulty 1/2 star as a result.