You might be a geocacher if...

Guest ClayJar

You let your daughter talk you into SCUBA lessons because you saw a level 5 cache that said something about water... What's $1500 to get to a cache, anyway?

Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers. - Socrates

...you have to go get a bigger hard drive because of all the maps and aerial photos you have downloaded with ExpertGPS to "virtually" visit all the caches in your state!

Lou

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Okay, everyone, here it is. (I'll let you guys kick it off.) You might be a geocacher if...

...you never throw out anything with a tight-fitting lid.

...the only football you see is either highlights or the last minutes of a game because it's dark out.

...you gripe at your wife because she used some of your brown/green/black camo spray paint.

...you go to garage sales and ask if they have any used water jugs, and leave immediately if they don't.

...any words you write or type that usually end in -ash are all being spelled -ache.

...you're losing weight not just because of the exercise you're getting caching, but because you're now caching instead of eating twice a week at lunch.

...you bought a second digital camera just to keep in your backpack.

"Seek and ye shall find." - Jesus, quoted in Matthew 7:7

You find yourself opening one window after another. One for forums, one for hiding and seeking a cache, one for opening the links in the forums, one for looking at pictures posted in the forums, one for topo maps, and maybe one for work, if you have time left.

Cache you later,

Planet

...you don’t know how to read a map, but you’ve found over a thousand caches.

...you now know just how many dirt roads there are in your area.

...you have a PhD and an MD and you take up truck driving, because it gives you the freedom to find more caches.

...the homepage on your browser is set to www.geocaching.com.

...you spend at least an hour every day revising your geocache web page(s).

...you can read the "additional hints" quite naturally without clicking on the "Decrypt" link.

...you think that the "additional hints" are for whimps.

...you always make sure that you have trading trinkets and your GPS with you when you leave the house.

...you actually use that "junk drawer" in your kitchen, now!

...all of the "junk" in your junk drawer has been replaced with items from caches.

...you think that coordinates are more efficient than directions.

...whenever people ask you where you live, you give them coordinates.

...whenever you see a bucket or box lying around, you check to see if it’s a cache.

...you can translate between WGS84, UTM and NAD27 in your head.

...you are writing a screenplay entitled, “Geocaching: The Movie”.

...you think that geo-raiding should be a capital offence.

...somebody asks you if you have any "cash", and you immediately give them the coordinates of all of your hidden "caches".

...you start each day off by eagerly checking your cache for new log entries.

...your idea of “close by” is anything within a hundred mile radius.

...you spend $100,000 on a car just because it comes with a GPS.

...your brand new $100,000 car is covered with dirt and full of stickers and cheat-grass because you realized that there was a cache “close by” the dealership.

...you have been late to work, school or your wedding because you saw that there was a cache “close by”.

...your favorite pick up line is, “What are your co-ordinates, baby?”

...you legally change your name to your geocaching username. (Kevin the Cache King, George the geo-god, etc…)

...you’ve ever traded items directly between two caches because you didn’t have any “trading trinkets” with you.

...you always leave the house at least an hour early so you can catch a cache along the way.

...you can honestly say that you’ve intentionally been to more than one virtual cache and/or micro cache.

...you have plans for hiding a micro-cache that really is microscopic.

...at Christmas, your idea of “high quality” items includes pocketknives, sunglasses, geo-patches, etc...

...you are saving all of your 35mm film canisters for your multi-cache.

...you have detailed blueprints of your future “perfect multi-cache”.

...your multi-cache has seven legs...each on a different continent.

...you actually keep all of the golf balls you find, so you can put them in your cache.

...you have hidden caches in more than ten states.

...you know the exact coordinates of every cache in your home state.

...your idea of a good date is claiming “first find” on a cache.

...you met your spouse at a cache.

...your honeymoon consisted of 7 days, 3 hotels and over 200 caches.

...the engagement ring that you gave your fiance' came from a cache.

...you put your marriage proposal in a cache and gave your significant other the coordinates.

...all of your family vacations are based on where the most caches are hidden.

...the three websites you visit when you are planning a trip are www.expedia.com, www.geocaching.com, www.mapquest.com...in that order.

...you no longer have that uneasy feeling about searching around on property that you aren't sure isn't private. (Clearer re-wording to come)

...you always bring your light meter so you can act like you're just "looking around for the best light to take a picture" in case there are non-geocachers in the area. (nod to &*%^ - The geocacher formerly known as Sluggo)

...you've ever caused yourself to hyperventilate by taking the "hard way" to a cache. (This is a true story. It was at the top of a VERY STEEP HILL. I'll always trust my mapping program, from now on.)

...even after losing 10 pounds, you argue that geocaching simply CAN'T be exercise, because it's too much fun!

...you no longer notice the stares that you get while climbing a tree in a park or digging around in the dirt while wearing your best Sunday suit.

...you see the world as just one big multi-cache.

...everywhere you look, you think to yourself, "That would be a GREAT place to hide a cache!"

...you wonder if there are any caches in Heaven.

...you have endless debates about whether geocaching is a sport, a game or a hobby.

...you have mastered the art of holding a flashlight and writing in the log book at the same time.

...you have this hair-brained idea for "cyber caching"...you send people to a web page and have them hunt for a hidden link (ok, ok, I am the one with the hair-brained idea) icon_smile.gif

Allen J. C.

[This message was edited by Allen J C on October 22, 2002 at 09:28 AM.]

[This message was edited by Allen J C on October 22, 2002 at 09:32 AM.]

[This message was edited by Allen J C on October 22, 2002 at 11:52 AM.]

[This message was edited by Allen J C on October 22, 2002 at 03:07 PM.]

[This message was edited by Allen J C on October 22, 2002 at 03:15 PM.]

[This message was edited by Allen J C on October 22, 2002 at 03:50 PM.]

...your car gets stolen and you feel lucky because your GPS wasn't in it at the time.

...you demand to be called "Goolge". (To understand this one, go to www.geocaching.com and read the tag line.)

...all of your Christmas shopping is done at http://shop.Groundspeak.com/

...you will stick your hand into any hole in the ground or any bush with reckless abandon.

...you sit around telling "the cache that got away" tales. (Nod to Planet's last post.)

...you've waded through and have seen more plants than most botanists, but you can't name a single one.

...you've seen more wildlife than most vets, but you don't know which animals are dangerous.

...you've seen more rocks than most geologists, but you don't know which ones are precious.

...at the end of the movie "Hackers" you stand up and yell, "CACHE THE PLANET! CACHE THE PLANET!!!"

...you know what WGS, UTM and NAD stand for.

...for Halloween, you take your kids around to different caches.

...you always carry an extra pair of shoes in your car.

...you think to yourself, "If I could just get rid of the pesky road lines and names in my GPS, I could store more waypoints!"

...it takes your GPS 10 minutes to zoom in or out because of all of the cache waypoints that you have stored in it.

...your kids look puzzled when somebody asks them if they want to hunt Easter eggs.

...for one brief, shimmering moment, it actually seems like a good idea to put yourself in a cache as a travel bug to Paris.

Allen J. C.

[This message was edited by Allen J C on October 23, 2002 at 04:52 PM.]

You check your e-mail every ten minutes just to see if Jeremy got your check yet so you can be a charter member and write something funny under your avatar even though you haven't thought of anything funny to put there yet. Oh, and look for members only caches too of course.

Cache you later,

Planet

--You find yourself in the middle of the desert taking pictures of benchmark disks, in hopes that they're listed in the database.

--You find yourself driving on dirt roads in a forest at midnight, and never worry about getting lost because you can always backtrack out.

--You've ever pretended your GPS was a cellphone when someone "catches" you.

--Your 5 year old nephew 'finds' a box of toys in the middle of the desert and already knows to only take one item and leave one item instead of taking all the toys.

--You wash all the dirt off your 4x4, only to get it dirty the next day.

--You buy souvenirs before you leave on a trip, so you'll have something to put in caches when you get there.

--You don't assume .25 miles is close-by during a hunt.

--You've driven 60 miles just to place a travel bug.

[This message was edited by TopDeadCenter on October 24, 2002 at 08:45 PM.]

about having taken something from a cache once that a cacher picked up at "Save The Children" and that you feel you didn't really trade fairly for, so you find yourself driving by the Save The Children building and you go in and buy $100 worth of goodies for future caches just to fix your Karma. True story, I did this yesterday, but while there I was of course telling the lady why I'm buying all these small items and a family was listening to me describe geocaching and I swear that lady was going out to get her own GPSr next stop. She was fascinated, and so were her kids. icon_biggrin.gif

I hope my karma is better now.

Cache you later,

Planet

...you've ever used your GPS as a flashlight. (True story, I didn't have my own car, so I didn't have my geo-gear with me. In retrospect, maybe I should have searched the car for a flashlight.)

...when going on vacation, one whole suitcase is used for trading trinkets; and it's too big to be a carry-on.

Allen J. C.

[This message was edited by Allen J C on October 28, 2002 at 10:44 AM.]

...when you forget your flashlight you contemplate driving your little japanese non 4x4 four door vehicle into the brush to shine the headlights in 'that spot! It's just gotta be there!'

...when you ask your kids (ages 4 and 6) 'Hey kids, wanna go to a new park today?' and they reply, 'Aww mom, not ANOTHER geocache!'

...when you start receiving gifts of ammo cans and rechargable batteries! icon_wink.gif

you can easily read and understand this:

V nz n trbtrrx

and you no longer need to decrypt anything on the geocaching site.

-UA

...Proudly ranked 620th in the state of California!My Home

[This message was edited by Uncle Alaska on October 29, 2002 at 11:16 AM.]

[This message was edited by Uncle Alaska on October 29, 2002 at 11:17 AM.]

...when you are driving down the road, when all of a sudden your GPS goes, "BEEP BEEP"... Then your kids say at the same time, "ARRIVING AT DESTINATION!"

Note:

Those of you with a Garmin GPSMAP76 knows what I am talking about!

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Shuey's Web Site

CLICK HERE

QUOTE:

To be happy with a man you must understand

him a lot, but love him a little!

To be happy with a woman you must love her

a lot, but try NOT to understand her at all!

...you buy one of every type of GPS ever made in order to: 1) store every single cache in the world (including virtual caches) and 2) see which GPS you like the best.

...due to the caches that you haven't found there yet, Iraq sounds like a GREAT place for your next family vacation. icon_eek.gif

...it feels natural to travel to a far-off country that you can't pronounce, where you don't know the language or customs, in order to spend a week hunting caches.

...you're watching your GPS while riding on an airplane and you suddenly yell, "STOP!!!"

...you wind up in a foreign jail, because you were poking around in some bushes.

...you can't navigate your hometown without your GPS, anymore.

...you think that metal detectors are for wimps.

...you rate cars on how quickly they can get to the top of a mountain or the middle of the forest.

...every test drive includes a trip to a cache.

...when you're on your way geocaching, little kids on the sidewalk point and say, "Look, mommy! SANTA CLAUSE!!!"

The_Mad_Cacher says, "CACHE THE PLANET!"

[This message was edited by Allen J C on November 01, 2002 at 09:16 AM.]

...you get sent 2 isles over in the grocery store to get a bag of sugar that you and your wife forgot, and she then comes looking for you just to find you checking out the water-tight seals on the TupperWare containers!

(TRUE STORY! icon_rolleyes.gif)

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

QUOTE:

To be happy with a man you must understand

him a lot, but love him a little!

To be happy with a woman you must love her

a lot, but try NOT to understand her at all!

When your friends know better than to bring tupperware to your house since the last several ended up out in the woods under a log icon_smile.gif

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

...You have ever spent 30 minutes looking for something that you don't have anymore because you already left it in someone else's cache.

...You realize that your job is starting to interfere with your caching.

...Your dog gets excited not when you grab car keys, but when she sees you grab your GPSr. (She can also recognize rental DVD and tapes and knows that it means a ride.)

...You start eating Altoids because you know a perfect spot for that size container.

...you donate GPS's to the homeless kids and orphans for Christmas.

...you tell your spouse that you're going out to N 38 53.7 W 77 2.2 and he/she knows which outfit to wear.

...you know the coordinates of all of the dollar stores in the state.

...you give your co-workers little boxes to hide from you at work, to keep you on your toes.

...you're the only man at the tupperware party.

...you're the only guy you know who orders "cute litte things" from Avon.

...you can't remember the original color of your socks or shoes.

...for some life or death reason, you can't cache for a week and you feel a weird sensation in your ankles and then you realize that no cheat-grass is poking them.

...you've ever broken a major bone while geocaching and you crawled the rest of the way to the cache before calling for help.

...the entire time that the doctor is putting the cast on your leg, all you can think about is finding your next cache.

...you see your crutches as an advantage, because you can poke them deep into bushes.

...you ask your doctor for the off-road model of wheelchair. Money is no obstacle.

...you are absolutely ECSTATIC when you finally reach 100 "you might be a geocacher if's", because you can FINALLY make those geocaching trading cards that have one on each card! icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Allen J. C. (The_Mad_Cacher)

So long, everybody! It was fun!!! And always remember....CACHE THE PLANET!!!!!!!!!!!!

(These are extras that may or may not appear on the cards.)

...you've ever posted your son's home coordinates on www.geocaching.com in hopes that he will FINALLY meet a woman.

...you have plans to launch a cache into space in a stationary orbit.

...your will includes the line, "I leave all of my trading trinkets to..."

...the last line of your will reads, "Put my ash in a cache." (Or, more gramatically correct, "Put my ashes in some caches.")

[This message was edited by The_Mad_Cacher on November 02, 2002 at 03:49 PM.]

Quote:So long, everybody! It was fun!!! And always remember....CACHE THE PLANET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey! I'm the Planet! And I ain't givin' out my coordinates! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

GPSr $199.00 ($249 with $50 rebate)

GPSr for Nephew (always a partner handy) $199 ($249 with $50 rebate)

Garmin Software $130.00

Walkie Talkies $40.00

Digital Camera $230.00

New Boots $149 and $20

Geocaching bag $45.

Subaru Forester $18,000 (+/-)

Geo toys $250 so far

New warm clothes for hiking $200.00

Crafts for signature items $50

Rubbermaid containers $20

Charter membership $30

Geocaching: Priceless icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

...you can't pass a park, or green area without thinking that it might be a good place to hide a cache.

...1/4 of your purchases every time you visit a supermarket, hardware store, or department store are items to place in a cache.

...you are always on the lookout for batteries on sale.

...you spend 10 minutes browsing the selection of Rubbermaid containers every time you visit the supermarket.

...your basement shelves are filled with empty ammo boxes.

...you spend your lunch hour in this forum or checking the most recent logs page.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

You get cable modem because someone beat you to cache and you want to get there quicker.

You go out and buy two dozen eggs and plan recipes for French toast, quiche, souffle, fritatta, cakes, scrambled eggs..... just so you can make more of your new signature item (a blown out egg decorated with paint, glitter, glass beads and stuff, now with geologo on them) and there are only two people living in the house. Can you say cholesterol?

You try so many different kinds of glue to find the right one just to make your new signature item.

You buy packs and packs of small Rubbermaid containers to keep your signature item in so it won't break.

People at work are saying they never see you anymore. (I personally don't have to be in the office to be working)

Cache you later,

Planet

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

You no longer refuse the plastic bags at stores because you know you can use them to Trash Out!

You save all kinds of things now because you know they would go well in a theme cache that you know someone else somewhere will think of and you know you'll be able to travel to it some day and find it!

You take fewer clothes on vacation now so you'll have room for trade items, and the GPS, and.....