You might be a geocacher if...

Guest ClayJar

Guest logscaler

...you have to sort through the batteries in your pocket(s) to find change for the phone.

------------------

Remember, character is what you do when no one is watching. TTFN, logscaler

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

...you have to sort through the batteries in your pocket(s) to find change for the phone.

And you have a ziplock FULL of "possibly useful" batteries that you just CAN'T bear to throw out!

Guest JAMCC47

You are a GeoCacher if you are reading these forums with a beer in your hand so you wont have to hear the wife snore. Sleep in the car ready to go when the first light creeps over the horizon. Remember all those neat caches you read about last nite while you were into the beer. And your gone even before your other half gets up to fix your breakfast.

------------------

JoseCanUSea

...You tell your girlfriend "I'll be home by 7pm" and she says, "so by midnight?"

...You got a flat 10 miles out in the woods ...and just changed into the donut and kept on truckin'.

...It's a habit to trash out, even if you didn't cache in - especially when you're just out and about.

...You take up mountain climbing in order to bag a cache. Same with kayaking and snowshoe hiking. Also goes for people who've taken up SCUBA diving.

...You train for Geocaching when you're not out Geocaching.

------------------

Rocket scientists and brain surgeons alike were heard to say "At least it's not ActiveX programming." --Mr. Bunny's Guide to ActiveX

walk out of a new doctors office and the doctor commends you on your sense of direction for finding the right way back out.... and you have to hold yourself back from starting up about geocaching right there in the hallway

You goto the local building supply store to just check out possible cache containers.

OR

While out of town you stop at a public library to use the internet because it might be possible that a cache is within 50 miles of where you are.

Peace and Have Fun!!!!

E=Mc²

Guest Hawk-eye

... you screech your car to a hault by your neighbor's recycling bin ... when you spot a possible cache container she threw out ... for recycling ... geesh, what was she thinking?!?!

3245_600.gif

Guest TJWilson

Quote: "You goto the local building supply store to just check out possible cache containers." E=Mc2

I've done this, but it was the local Dominion store.

...If you spend several hours in the blistering cold on Christmas day, away from your family showing off your GPSr that you just got while out in a boat. (true story, did it this x-mas)

You have more GPS units then you have tv/vcr/stereo/DVD remotes.

Most if not all of the waypoints in your GPS start with "GC"

You never leave home with out at least one GPS.

mcb

Guest Steak N Eggs

...your kids (8 and 4) are used as a couple of pack mules, backpacks loaded to the hilt with geocache items. And their the ones saying "come on dad, it's only 2.5 more miles at a heading of 335 degrees northwest. Get the lead out."

------------------

"MY gps said it's RIGHT HERE!"

http://www.geogadgets.com

Guest VentureForth

...You tell your 9 year old girl to get into the car on a school night, and you don't care about her homework load just because a cache has recently been revitalized and there's an MRE in it.

...You're actually upset because the full moon is brighter than your AAA MiniMag.

...You take your GPS into your cubicle at work - even though there are no windows and you have NEVER been able to even register the existence of one satellite - 'just in case'.

...You mark you parking spot with a waypoint in your GPS - not to find your car after work, but so that you can use it for the 90 second walk from the building at the end of the day. To bad it takes 5 minutes to get a fix.

------------------

VentureForth out to the wild, wet forest...

Guest logscaler

You talked your other half into working at "Target"-"Walmart"-"Kmart" so you can get cache items at a discount.

You push the kids aside when she comes home with a bag of stuff and ask: "Whatdidyaget?whatdidyaget?" "anythingferme?

anythingferme?"

You now know most of the backroads (and parks, open spaces, public grounds, rock formations, dollar stores, goodwill stores, thrift stores, and fuel stops) within a 100 mile radius of your house.

------------------

Remember, character is what you do when no one is watching. TTFN, logscaler

Guest ClayJar

...you see overpasses as menacing, dismal black clouds over the road and do everything you can to keep from stopping under one at a light... even when you don't have your GPS receiver with you.

Guest Hounddog

......You have returned to work on Monday so often with scratches all over your face and hands, the women there suspect you're a serial rapist. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Hounddog (edited 29 January 2002).]

Guest Hounddog

......You have returned to work on Monday so often with scratches all over your face and hands, the women there suspect you're a serial rapist. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Hounddog (edited 29 January 2002).]

You might be a geocacher if you spend hours in a craft store trying to find all the right little things that you need to build the perfect geo pet to leave as your signature item in all the caches you find. And then you spend hours building all the little creatures.

Guest barondriver

...the weather's too bad to go outside so you hide your next cammo-painted ammo box behind the television set and give your wife the coordinates to go find it.

Guest TJWilson

you open a bank account that you put 25% of your paycheck in when you get paid and keep the other 75% for Geocaching.

I'm going to be doing that when I start work again. I'll be transfering 75% of each check to my Geocaching account to spend only on items used for Geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by TJWilson:

when I start work again. I'll be transfering 75% of each check to my Geocaching account to spend only on items used for Geocaching.

That sounds like a lot until you realise those are Canadian dollars. tongue.gif

Guest TJWilson

I know.

But on the brighter side, I normally get over $150 a check (considering the fact that I'm working at McDonalds, that's not bad) which works out to be about $112.50 every two weeks into the Caching Account. *thinks about something for a sec* That means that if I save all that money I could have a Meridian Gold in 8 to 10 weeks.

But I have a good GPSr, no need for a new one, though I might pick up an Etrex basic for finding Caches. the 315 is good for placing, but I can only get to within about 13 to 20 meters of a cache. *kicks auto averager*

------------------

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Guest Ramness570

You actually have this conversation with your girlfriend

Me ?Lets go for a bike ride on the trail on Suwannee?

Her ?why, is there a new cache there??

Me ?No?

Her ?you sure we aren?t going Geocaching? Are you lying to me??

Me ?nope just a bike ride?

Her ?you better not try to find one when we get there?

We get there and they are doing some construction in the area of one stage of a fellow cachers multistage so of course I had to go check on the welfare of the little sticker.

------------------

Team Ramness570 Brian, Christine & TabascoX

Senior Member Southeast Xterra Club

Geocaching since October 2000.

Guest Steak N Eggs

quote:
Originally posted by RedwoodRed:

... you're bed-ridden with back problems, but when the other half informs you that there is a new cache nearby, you load up on pain-meds and grab your walking stick. The rest of the family looks up to see you standing near the door (for the first time in two weeks!) and you say, "Are we ready to go?"

Yep, been there, doing that!

RedwoodRed (in pain),

Yep, thats the truth. Did'nt think i could get her out of bed. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Guest Steak N Eggs

quote:
Originally posted by RedwoodRed:

... you're bed-ridden with back problems, but when the other half informs you that there is a new cache nearby, you load up on pain-meds and grab your walking stick. The rest of the family looks up to see you standing near the door (for the first time in two weeks!) and you say, "Are we ready to go?"

Yep, been there, doing that!

RedwoodRed (in pain),

Yep, thats the truth. Did'nt think i could get her out of bed. icon_smile.gif

------------------

...you don’t know how to read a map, but you’ve found over a thousand caches.

...you now know just how many dirt roads there are in your area.

...the homepage on your browser is set to www.geocaching.com.

...you spend at least an hour every day revising your geocache web page(s).

...you can read the "additional hints" quite naturally without clicking on the "Decrypt" link.

...you think that the "additional hints" are for whimps.

...you always make sure that you have trading trinkets and your GPS with you when you leave the house.

...you actually use that "junk drawer" in your kitchen, now!

...all of the "junk" in your junk drawer has been replaced with new items.

...you think that coordinates are more efficient than directions.

...whenever people ask you where you live, you give them coordinates.

...whenever you see a bucket or box lying around, you check to see if it’s a cache.

...you can translate between WGS84, UTM and NAD27 in your head.

...you are writing a screenplay entitled, “Geocaching: The Movie”.

...you think that geo-raiding should be a capital offence.

...somebody asks you if you have any "cash", and you immediately give them the coordinates of all of your hidden "caches".

...you start each day off by eagerly checking your cache for new visitors.

...your idea of “close by” is anything within a hundred mile radius.

...you spend $100,000 on a car just because it comes with a GPS.

...your brand new $100,000 car is covered with dirt and full of stickers and cheat-grass because you realized that there was a cache “close by” the dealership.

...you have been late to work, school or your wedding because you saw that there was a cache “close by”.

...your favorite pick up line is, “What are your co-ordinates, baby?”

...you legally change your name to your geocaching username. (Kevin the Cache King, George the geo-god, etc…)

...you’ve ever traded items directly between two caches because you didn’t have any “trading trinkets” with you.

...you always leave the house at least an hour early so you can catch a cache along the way.

...you can honestly say that you’ve intentionally been to more than one virtual cache and/or micro cache.

...you have plans for hiding a micro-cache that really is microscopic.

...at Christmas, your idea of “high quality” items includes pocketknives, sunglasses, geo-patches, etc...

...you are saving all of your 35mm film canisters for your multi-cache.

...you have detailed blueprints of your future “perfect multi-cache”.

...you actually keep all of the golf balls you find, so you can put them in your cache.

...you have hidden caches in more than ten states.

...you know the exact coordinates of every cache in your home state.

...your idea of a good date is claiming “first find” on a cache.

...you met your spouse at a cache.

...your honeymoon consisted of 7 days, 3 hotels and over 200 caches.

...the engagement ring that you gave your fiance' came from a cache.

...you put your marriage proposal in a cache and gave your significant other the coordinates.

...all of your family vacations are based on where the most caches are hidden.

...the three websites you visit when you are planning a trip are www.expedia.com, www.geocaching.com, www.mapquest.com...in that order.

...you no longer have that uneasy feeling about searching around on property that you aren't sure isn't private. (Clearer re-wording to come)

...you always bring your light meter so you can act like you're just "looking around for the best light to take a picture" in case there are non-geocachers in the area. (nod to &*%^ - The geocacher formerly known as Sluggo)

...you've ever caused yourself to hyperventilate by taking the "hard way" to a cache. (This is a true story. It was at the top of a VERY STEEP HILL. I'll always trust my mapping program, from now on.)

...even after losing 10 pounds, you argue that geocaching simply CAN'T be exercise, because it's too much fun!

...you no longer notice the stares that you get while climbing a tree in a park or digging around in the dirt while wearing your best Sunday suit.

...you see the world as just one big multi-cache.

...everywhere you look, you think to yourself, "That would be a GREAT place to hide a cache!"

...you wonder if there are any caches in Heaven.

...you have endless debates about whether geocaching is a sport, a game or a hobby.

Allen J. C.

spurred by recently finding a string of poorly thought out badly placed caches, you consider making your own video series:

tape one: How to make a cache, and basic hiding

tape two: Advanced hiding and camo techniques

you no longer have a choice about *IF* you will open any container you find, thinking it could be an unknown unlisted unmarked cache. Even though its in a store or inside a friends fridge icon_biggrin.gif

whack.gif

...your lawn is a foot long, your landscaping is full of weeds and your back fence is falling down because you're ...ahem...a little too busy on weekends.

...you have boots, backpack, water bottles and a hiking stick in your trunk, ready at all times just in case.

...your car is carpeted in geocache printouts.

...your six year old told Santa that he wants an E-Trex Legend for Christmas.

...you have a cache in your overgrown backyard so that you can demonstrate the GPS to visitors.

...you bring your GPSr on an airplane to check out the altitude, airspeed and ETA and when you hold it up to the window to try to catch some satellites, you're jumped, wrestled to the ground and handcuffed until the flight attendant figures out that the little yellow box wasn't a bomb.

...easter egg hunts for your kids have taken on a whole new dimension. "Here's the list of coordinates and the GPS, Timmy."

----------------------------------------------------------

Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore,

You will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea.

...Your sister, wives of co-workers, Pastor's wife, and wives of friends won't talk to you because you are responsibile for SEVERAL GPSR purchases.

...You have copies of ExpertGPS, EasyGPS, Mapsend Streets and GeoBuddy on EVERY computer in the house.

...Your main reason for getting DSL is the ability to download maps in ExpertGPS at 1.5M/sec.

...You are thinking of moving to have a more dense cache environment