Criminal

I got this in my inbox this morning:

quote:
Microsoft Partner

this is the latest version of security update, the

"September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves

all known security vulnerabilities affecting

MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express

as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities.

Install now to protect your computer

from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could

allow an attacker to run executable on your system.

This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches.

System requirements: Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP

This update applies to:

- MS Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later

- MS Outlook, version 8.00 and later

- MS Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later

blah blah blah blah......

It is a virus. I didn't open it but found out through a MS Frontpage forum that it is a virus, which is probably where the sender got my email address.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I doubt I will see that, if I do, I know something is wrong, I never register my software, and the times I am forced to register it to use it, I make sure to check DO NOT spam me with emails on updates, savings and money making scams.

So if I get anyhting such as that, it is trashed immediately. When I want to upgrade, or check for patches I go to the companies website myself and check for new stuff. Usually a weekend night thing for me.

GeoCache Pickup Line: Hey I'm looking for treasure, Can I look around your chest?

Exactly how many emails in the past have you ever gotten from Microsoft? You haven't?? That's because Microsoft doesn't send out emails, ESPECIALLY attachments.

Never ever ever ever open an attachment that claims to be a virus patch or fix.... go to a reputable website and download it (which is what the reputable virus scanners will tell you to do...)

-=Jerry A. Goodson=- W5BFF aka hydrashok407 smile.gif KoolAid Drinker smile.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Real peace is not just the absence of conflict, it's the presence of justice" - http://www.hydrashok.com

I've received several in my work email that say 500.000 computers have been infected.

500.000? Try writing 500,000 instead and I may actually read it. Poor spelling and grammar in an official email just doesn't cut it.

Our firewall keeps most of the attachments out. It deletes the file and adds a message to the email to let us know there was a virus attached.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by hydrashok407:

Exactly how many emails in the past have you ever gotten from Microsoft? You haven't?? That's because Microsoft doesn't send out emails, ESPECIALLY attachments.

I get a emails a week from Microsoft. This is only because I have devoted my life to the Evil Empire that is Microsoft. After all, without their great products I wouldn't have a job....

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

500.000? Try writing 500,000 instead and I may actually read it. Poor spelling and grammar in an official email just doesn't cut it.

Of course you realize that outside the great, provincial USA, people use different separators in their numbers. Not that Microsoft would do that, of course, but people in many European countries certainly would, so it's an unlikely regionalism rather than a spelling error.

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by DeskJocky:

quote:
Originally posted by hydrashok407:

I get a emails a week from Microsoft. This is only because I have devoted my life to the Evil Empire that is Microsoft. After all, without their great products I wouldn't have a job....

What he said. I don't even always get email from people I know at Microsoft, because sometimes (usually?) our bug reports get forwarded within the organization.

Also, you should know that Microsoft's official best-practices document for distributing patches within your organization recommends - tada! - using email. Dumb, dumb, dumb, but absolutely true.

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Of course you realize that outside the great, provincial USA, people use different separators in their numbers. Not that Microsoft would do that, of course, but people in many European countries certainly would, so it's an unlikely regionalism rather than a spelling error.

Exactly my point. Microsoft is based in Redmond, Washington. The last time I checked, that is in the USA. They should be using standard American English in their correspondence, not European English.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

For about a week, I was receiving 200 - 500 variations of that virus in my e-mail box every day. My anti virus software picked it up, and deleted the virus portion of the message, but I still had to manually try to delete them all without loosing anything I wanted to keep. Checking Nortons website, it appears the virus strips e-mail addresses from usenet newsgroups (amoungst other sources), which I post on frequently using my real e-mail address (Up until last week that is)

The virus comes in several forms, always with an attachment. Generally it will claim to be from microsoft with a subject of "Latest, last, or critical upgrade. Other times it will claim to be internet mail service, or sysadmin with message return, failure, or abort messages. It's amazing how many people out there aren't keeping their anti virus software up to date.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

............ The last time I checked, that is in the USA. They should be using standard American English in their correspondence, not European English.

Just a reminder that England is in Europe and in England we speak standard English (the hint is in the name 'English') So Microsoft speak NON-standard American 'English'. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

I'm receiving 5-10 of these dubious e-mails a day at the moment. Bummer!

Enthusiastic user of GeocacheUK

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

The Groundspeak folks were monitoring your thread, Criminal, and one of them was going to close it for having absolutely nothing to do with Geocaching or GPS use. But then I looked at your dog's eyes. I was instantly hypnotized.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/124791_700.jpg Don't make me stop this car!

Both Groundspeak and Criminal crack me up....LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Afghanistan was a battle. Iraq was a battle. The war goes on."