Milestone Markers.......Jeremy??

It looks like we are getting a bit off the subject. I think the pin idea is great. I would like to see pins for 50-100-200-300-400-500 caches found. I am five caches from my 300th, and it would be great to have a pin or two to remind me of the fun I had. Also I would like to give some of my friends a little token of congratulation for their Milestone Achievements. I have asked Jeremy in the past about Geocaching pins, but have not heard, if they are in the making.

hobby1.gif

DHobby1, on to the next!

I guess you're right - it's all a matter of perspective. And if we'd be buying the pins for ourselves (or as gifts for others), we'll know what level is special to us, and buy the pins appropriately. Since 50 wasn't all that special to me, I probably wouldn't buy the pin.

But if it's really special to you because of a lack of caches in your area, then go ahead and buy it.

BTW - IMHO, the best way to spur more caches in your area is to hide more yourself and lead by example.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

Rather than give a pin for the number of cache visits, give one based on points. The points would be the sum of the terrain and difficulty "stars" for the cache. When one reaches a certain level of points (say 100, 500, etc) then you could get the pin. I think this would encourage people to challenge themselves, rather than encourage "drive-by" caching.

quote:
Originally posted by Broken Wing:

Rather than give a pin for the number of cache visits, give one based on points. The points would be the sum of the terrain and difficulty "stars" for the cache. .... encourage people to challenge themselves, rather than encourage "drive-by" caching.

I respectifully disagree ... that brings up a whole new element of perspective on the rating system ... my 5 star cache would not be the same as another's 5 star cache ... say someone that is older and maybe doesn't do as much hiking. Things like that. Then there's the whole revamping of the system to calculate those points. No, I think it would be best to keep it simple ... now if you wanted to do it this way on your own scoring ... that's fine too ... after all this is really an individual sport by design ... group affiliation (like the Georgia cachers) and local teams and competitions are by choice. Another way to look at it is ... number of finds vs. first finds ... number of physical vs virtual caches ...there's a ton of ways to individual mark goals that are important to the cacher. I like doing this for relaxation and sort of a mental adjustment to the stresses of life ... so I'd rather keep it simple. So if I ran into you on the trail and you had some combination of pins depicting your important goals ... at least we'd have something to talk about icon_biggrin.gif ... a 50 pin for first finds, 200 pin for physical finds, and a 100 pin for virtual finds, a 50 pin for virtual-I-never-left-the-computer finds, a 50 pin for travelers found, a 50 pin for traveler gone AWOL and a 50 for number of ticks that found you icon_biggrin.gif Whew ... I'd look pretty boring ... with my one little pin for how many I found.

But seriously ... if we do get something like this started ... I don't see anything wrong with you measuring your pin count by what's important to you ... after all it's your own person system of celebrating the milestones that are important to you ... right? Would I be personally jealous of someone with a 500 pin on their hat or pack? Darn right ... jealous they had more time to cache than I did!

348_2702.gif

[This message was edited by Hawk-eye on April 05, 2002 at 03:48 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Broken Wing:

Rather than give a pin for the number of cache visits, give one based on points. The points would be the sum of the terrain and difficulty "stars" for the cache. .... encourage people to challenge themselves, rather than encourage "drive-by" caching.

I respectifully disagree ... that brings up a whole new element of perspective on the rating system ... my 5 star cache would not be the same as another's 5 star cache ... say someone that is older and maybe doesn't do as much hiking. Things like that. Then there's the whole revamping of the system to calculate those points. No, I think it would be best to keep it simple ... now if you wanted to do it this way on your own scoring ... that's fine too ... after all this is really an individual sport by design ... group affiliation (like the Georgia cachers) and local teams and competitions are by choice. Another way to look at it is ... number of finds vs. first finds ... number of physical vs virtual caches ...there's a ton of ways to individual mark goals that are important to the cacher. I like doing this for relaxation and sort of a mental adjustment to the stresses of life ... so I'd rather keep it simple. So if I ran into you on the trail and you had some combination of pins depicting your important goals ... at least we'd have something to talk about icon_biggrin.gif ... a 50 pin for first finds, 200 pin for physical finds, and a 100 pin for virtual finds, a 50 pin for virtual-I-never-left-the-computer finds, a 50 pin for travelers found, a 50 pin for traveler gone AWOL and a 50 for number of ticks that found you icon_biggrin.gif Whew ... I'd look pretty boring ... with my one little pin for how many I found.

But seriously ... if we do get something like this started ... I don't see anything wrong with you measuring your pin count by what's important to you ... after all it's your own person system of celebrating the milestones that are important to you ... right? Would I be personally jealous of someone with a 500 pin on their hat or pack? Darn right ... jealous they had more time to cache than I did!

348_2702.gif

[This message was edited by Hawk-eye on April 05, 2002 at 03:48 AM.]

Too keep production, thus consumer cost down, it would be best to stay with 100 find and maybe 50 find pins. Obviously, not as many 500, 1000 find pins would be in demand, so they would cost much more to make and sell. It would make it much easier for inventory and storage also.

posted April 03, 2002 08:30 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a better idea. Why don't we only make certain caches elligible for medals.

In other words:

If you want your cache to count towards reaching a goal of say 100 finds. It will be listed under a special page. Everyone has access to that page but the person that hides the cache will pay $5.00 to the website to have their cache listed. These Golden Caches will be used to accumulate 1 find per cache, and it will be those "points" that will be used towards your goal of getting apin. It may even increase the traffic to those caches.

OR

Maybe make them available to members only, this may really anger some non-paying folks, but hey it's just an idea.

I think there should be a medal for 50, 100, 200,350, 500, 1000.

50 is a lot for a lot of people, it's not easy finding the time to do this.

Just an idea

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

quote:
Originally posted by faithwalker:

Great idea, lets not try to make it to complicated. Keep it fun. My pick is 100=bronze, 250=silver, 500=gold, 1000=platnum. Or just pins with increments of 100. 100, 200, 300, 400 finds etc. Great idea though.

...Cache Responsible & may all your birds be in view...

...Faithwalker & DaMama...

I like this suggestion. I hope someday to make it to the bronze star next to my name and buy a bronze geocache star for my hat or jacket.

If such a thing were offered, taking it to the larger steps... 250, 500, etc. could be done cost effectively depending on the actual design of the star pins. I use a cloisonne style pin as a signature item. The company I use to order them doesn't care if I mix up the color counts so long as the total pin order hits a certain number. I use a different color pin in caches I found versus caches I place. Since my team has hidden about 6 physical caches, that means my hidden color count was much smaller in my order than the found color count. Minimum order of 200 pins. And I could have spread them out over 3, 4 or 5 colors if I wished. Just food for thought, and not a comment one way or another on offering such items!

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah:

if 100 finds why not 25 50 125 150 200 etc? icon_rolleyes.gif

Because it becomes an inventory and cost issue to have the product in stock ... not to mention ... it would definitely cost more because of the die costs for multiple versions. Better to have it as simple as possible and still workable.

348_2702.gif

quote:
Originally posted by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah:

if 100 finds why not 25 50 125 150 200 etc? icon_rolleyes.gif

Because it becomes an inventory and cost issue to have the product in stock ... not to mention ... it would definitely cost more because of the die costs for multiple versions. Better to have it as simple as possible and still workable.

348_2702.gif

Ok, I took the number of caches within 100 miles of me and divided it by my total finds. That put me at a whopping 117% (how does one find 117% of something?)I also have found more caches in my home state than anyone else. So am I a caching machine? Not hardly. The home state is Mississippi and my cache total is 21. There's a huge difference in finding 100 caches when you have twice that many within 20 miles and finding 100 when you don't have half that many in the entire state. Since there is a huge disparity of "Cachuration" - as in cache saturation;(whoa! is that a new word?) - depending on where you are, and the pin idea could be a money generating source for geocaching.com, and the fact that some might be more proud of finding their third cache than others of their 100th, I would suggest going as low as 50, 25, or even 10. Maybe even have a few gag pins such as the "Purple GPS" for injury in the act of caching.

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

All of the points systems discussed seem to put the emphasis on finding caches. I think hiding caches should be more highly valued, if no one hid caches, then there would be none to find. So maybe two different point scores, for two different pins/icons. One for hiding and one for seeking.

Also on the post about using the difficulty rating of the cache in the point scores. This would probably skew things anyway, because I think doing an easy geocache 200 miles from home requires alot more effort than doing a hard geocache only 5 miles away.

Maybe something like some hiking clubs use, where you get one fairly obvious pin (A colorful Geocaching logo, perhaps) at some initial milestone (100 seems like a popular number), and then you can add smaller pins to join it at 250, 500, 1000 (or whatever milestones appeal to the majority). Anyone for patches instead of pins? Pins snag on stuff and fall off - you can sew patches on a pack, hat, lucky shirt, whatever.

As for cheating - puh-leeeze! Who cares if somebody did or didn't? icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe something like some hiking clubs use, where you get one fairly obvious pin (A colorful Geocaching logo, perhaps) at some initial milestone (100 seems like a popular number), and then you can add smaller pins to join it at 250, 500, 1000 (or whatever milestones appeal to the majority). Anyone for patches instead of pins? Pins snag on stuff and fall off - you can sew patches on a pack, hat, lucky shirt, whatever.

As for cheating - puh-leeeze! Who cares if somebody did or didn't? icon_rolleyes.gif

How about you just get together with some fellow geocachers and have a beer, and tell some stories? No really, I think the pin thing could work. I would like to have a pin when I get to that milestone. People geocache for different reasons. Some make it a family time thing. Some geocache alone. Some geocache with others. Geocaching is very competitive for a lot of people, and for others, just a fun relaxing way to get outside. It's a serious thing for some and not for others. So, I WANT MY PIN AND A BEER!!!!!!!! Just kidding.

I like the idea of the 50 cache level being included, not for me but perhaps for my daughter. I have no doubt that I will eventually reach the 100 cache level but at some point my daughter will not want to go on all of these outings, especially ones much further from home. So a reward or encouragement at the 50 cache level would be a nice thing for her.