Milestone Markers.......Jeremy??

Our local hero Hawk-eye here in Greensboro,NC is about to log his 100th cache find. I was thinking it might be nice to come up with some way of recognizing this milestone. This could even apply to the number of caches hidden. Maybe a certificate or something. Should be very inexpensive. People that are this involved in Geocaching keep it alive. Just a thought. What do you think?

Jerry

I think that this is a great idea! I like the idea of the medallions too. Not sure what levels they should be at. Definitely 100. What about 50? Do we want different ones for different levels (i.e. colors on higher level ones). I am sure that some people may want something like this even when not achieving a certain level. But I do like the idea of special ones available only to people that have achieved a certain count. I would definitely pay for one in either case.

Louis icon_smile.gif

I think that this is a great idea! I like the idea of the medallions too. Not sure what levels they should be at. Definitely 100. What about 50? Do we want different ones for different levels (i.e. colors on higher level ones). I am sure that some people may want something like this even when not achieving a certain level. But I do like the idea of special ones available only to people that have achieved a certain count. I would definitely pay for one in either case.

Louis icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Butano:

But I do like the idea of special ones available only to people that have achieved a certain count.

Do you think there's a chance this would encourage increased numbers of people 'stretching' the criteria for logging finds? For example, logging each of their own caches as found. Or logging repeat visits to the same cache (like when dropping off a travel bug) as another find.

How about 'no-GPSr-required to find' caches (like Hometown, or Speed Trap)? Should those count toward a person's total?

And who's going to review/approve the Found lists of those who request the pins?

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

I'm sure that when I legitimatly reach 100 I might want to purchase a pin. If someone else cheats to get to 100 and purchases a pin that's their problem!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4525_1300.gif

Some people are going to cheat. Nothing to be done about it. Who cares? I'm not in competition with anyone (yet). icon_razz.gif

For most of us these milestones are personal acheivements and I for one would not mind one. icon_cool.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

I'm sure that when I legitimatly reach 100 I might want to purchase a pin. If someone else cheats to get to 100 and purchases a pin that's their problem!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4525_1300.gif

Some people are going to cheat. Nothing to be done about it. Who cares? I'm not in competition with anyone (yet). icon_razz.gif

For most of us these milestones are personal acheivements and I for one would not mind one. icon_cool.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

50 finds isn't very many. Perhaps a pin to commemorate 50 finds should have training wheels on it. icon_wink.gif

Hey, I'll resemble that remark soon, if life outside of caching allows! icon_biggrin.gif

At least it wasn't a pacifier remark! icon_wink.gif

A pin to put in my geocaching cap is a neat idea! icon_cool.gif

quote:

50 finds isn't very many. Perhaps a pin to commemorate 50 finds should have training wheels on it. icon_wink.gif

Hey, I'll resemble that remark soon, if life outside of caching allows! icon_biggrin.gif

At least it wasn't a pacifier remark! icon_wink.gif

A pin to put in my geocaching cap is a neat idea! icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

And who's going to review/approve the Found lists of those who request the pins?

Nobody should have to. It's been done all along by the "GeoPolice," aka cache owners, hasn't it? icon_rolleyes.gif

If somebody needs a find so badly that they log their own caches, and multiple times to boot, take pity on them. The same goes for people who create caches under one username and then log them under others. Their problems are bigger than this game.

quote:

Nobody should have to. It's been done all along by the "GeoPolice," aka cache owners, hasn't it? icon_rolleyes.gif

If somebody needs a find so badly that they log their own caches, and multiple times to boot, take pity on them. The same goes for people who create caches under one username and then log them under others. Their problems are bigger than this game.

quote:

How about a bronze pin for 100 finds, silver for 500, and gold for 1000 finds? icon_wink.gif

I like the idea that it starts at 100. Perhaps a 'bronze' colored mini Geocaching logo with 100 through the middle of it.. the same thing for Silver for 200 and Gold for 500.

and something else to be determined for the one that reaches 1000. I follow a few of the top cachers like BasoonPilot and Stayfloopy & CCCCooperagency and I would love to see some sort of recognition for the 1000 barrier being broken. cheering.gif

I know there will be a minor uproar on the so-called competitveness of this, but hey, you can ignore it if you want to!

soapbox.gif

9929_1400.gif

quote:

How about a bronze pin for 100 finds, silver for 500, and gold for 1000 finds? icon_wink.gif

I like the idea that it starts at 100. Perhaps a 'bronze' colored mini Geocaching logo with 100 through the middle of it.. the same thing for Silver for 200 and Gold for 500.

and something else to be determined for the one that reaches 1000. I follow a few of the top cachers like BasoonPilot and Stayfloopy & CCCCooperagency and I would love to see some sort of recognition for the 1000 barrier being broken. cheering.gif

I know there will be a minor uproar on the so-called competitveness of this, but hey, you can ignore it if you want to!

soapbox.gif

9929_1400.gif

Dodger ... I like your little soapbox gif ... that's creative!

I still don't think it's competitive ... unless you want it to be ... but a hat pin ... say for 50, 100, 200, 300 ... and so on would be pretty nice ... if someone cheats to purchase them ... it's not cheating me or anyone but themselves ... those kind of people will cheat on other things ... but bottom line ... it don't matter at all in the scope of things.

For the logistics of it ... I think you'd need to have an assortment of pins ... starting at 50, but only going up in increments of 100 after that. That would help to keep inventory issues under control for Jeremy ....

I think it would be something nice say to buy for a friend when he reaches a certain level ... Besides just think how you could gross out your teenage daughter by looking like king of the geeks with your logo T-shirt, logo hat with pins icon_biggrin.gif ... that in itself would be worth a bundle to me ... I live to embarass my daughter icon_biggrin.gif

348_2702.gif

Dodger ... I like your little soapbox gif ... that's creative!

I still don't think it's competitive ... unless you want it to be ... but a hat pin ... say for 50, 100, 200, 300 ... and so on would be pretty nice ... if someone cheats to purchase them ... it's not cheating me or anyone but themselves ... those kind of people will cheat on other things ... but bottom line ... it don't matter at all in the scope of things.

For the logistics of it ... I think you'd need to have an assortment of pins ... starting at 50, but only going up in increments of 100 after that. That would help to keep inventory issues under control for Jeremy ....

I think it would be something nice say to buy for a friend when he reaches a certain level ... Besides just think how you could gross out your teenage daughter by looking like king of the geeks with your logo T-shirt, logo hat with pins icon_biggrin.gif ... that in itself would be worth a bundle to me ... I live to embarass my daughter icon_biggrin.gif

348_2702.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Besides just think how you could gross out your teenage daughter by looking like king of the geeks with your logo T-shirt, logo hat with pins icon_biggrin.gif ... that in itself would be worth a bundle to me ... I live to embarass my daughter icon_biggrin.gif

Well, mine won't be an "official" teenager for another year, but I was under the impression that absolutely nothing was required of a parent for that parent to embarrass the teenager . . . in public. At home, parents are "tolerated." icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Besides just think how you could gross out your teenage daughter by looking like king of the geeks with your logo T-shirt, logo hat with pins icon_biggrin.gif ... that in itself would be worth a bundle to me ... I live to embarass my daughter icon_biggrin.gif

Well, mine won't be an "official" teenager for another year, but I was under the impression that absolutely nothing was required of a parent for that parent to embarrass the teenager . . . in public. At home, parents are "tolerated." icon_wink.gif

Example: I posted my first virtual cache as a "Guess Who This Person Is". I didn't require proof of actually visiting the location and had several people figure out the answer and log the cache without leaving their computer. I personally wouldn't have done that, but I left it alone. Then I received several email complaints from others who thought I should delete logs if the people didn't actually visit the location. I didn't delete any logs, but from that point on, I request that cachers answer 3 "Proof Of Visit" questions before posting the find. I don't like having to do that. It's not a competitive sport. It's for fun. But so many people were offended that I allowed people a free find. To each his own.

Maybe reward only Charter Members. They have proven, by joining, that they are dedicated and for the most part, honest and responsible. I like the Hike America Medallions. I like the hat pins. I also like the idea of choosing a prize from 3 or so small choices.

(Post.Soapbox. The number of logged finds is not an accurate measure of the level of ones experience, only of the amount of ones spare time. Judging and name calling is rude and ignorant. No Names Mentioned.)

txjacksons.gif

[This message was edited by texas-jacksons on April 02, 2002 at 09:45 AM.]

Very nice idea. I found my 50th during my Cabin Fever Frenzy on Feb 18 (it was Double Diamond by Clan Ferguson). To be honest, I didn't even know I had past the 50 mark until I started doing the stats page for my own website.

FWIW being in that grey area between 50 and 100, I think that a 50 mark isn't all that special. Even though I've been at it for 13 months and found 62 currently, I'm going to do a whole lot more celebrating at the 100 mark.

Cool idea on the pins.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

Who cares if anyone else cheats or not? I think if they cheat they only cheat themselves. The whole point IMNSHO is to get out from behind the desk and get outside and PLAY! I like the idea of the pins and medallions (a lot!), but if someone is going to cheat to get one does it hurt anyone but them? No. We all spend way to much time worrying about other people cheating in these games. It's just a game, a really fun game at that. Let's keep it that way.

Later,

TikimanHSA (Hunter)

I like Jeremys idea of the fighter pilot thing. The main reason for this was to reconize people that had achieved the milestone of 100 caches.

However it can also be used to set abtainable goals and motivate others. Most people will never log a 100 caches....myself included, since I'd rather hide than seek. So how about a silver star hat pin for every 25 caches found and of course something special for 100 or more?

Jerry

I think there may have been some confusion about the intent of my original question.

I couldn't care less whether people cheat or not, I was just questioning the suggestion that the pins be made available "only" to people that have achieved a certain count. The logistics of how to decide who's allowed one, and who isn't, is what I was pointing out.

I have a better idea. Why don't we only make certain caches elligible for medals.

In other words:

If you want your cache to count towards reaching a goal of say 100 finds. It will be listed under a special page. Everyone has access to that page but the person that hides the cache will pay $5.00 to the website to have their cache listed. These Golden Caches will be used to accumulate 1 find per cache, and it will be those "points" that will be used towards your goal of getting apin. It may even increase the traffic to those caches.

OR

Maybe make them available to members only, this may really anger some non-paying folks, but hey it's just an idea.

I think there should be a medal for 50, 100, 200,350, 500, 1000.

50 is a lot for a lot of people, it's not easy finding the time to do this.

Just an idea

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The KGB:

50 is a lot for a lot of people, it's not easy finding the time to do this.

Especially if you live out in the boonies. It's fun to watch the Leader Board, to see how people rank against each other. But it would be interesting to see a second 'weighted' comparision, that showed each person's 'percentage of finds' from the available caches within various distances from their home coordinates. (Obviously, not logistically practical to track...but it would be interesting to see how much the statistics shifted if it took into account the availability of caches to each player.) Let's face it, it's not a fair playing field out there...which is one of the reasons I consider this a "fun hobby" rather than a competitive sport.

On the flip side...I'm more than happy to sacrifice cache availability (as well as proximity to other conveniences and entertainments), if it means that I get to listen to the birds with no traffic noises to drown them out, enjoy pristine landscapes and sunrises/sunsets with no large buildings to ruin the view, watch deer grazing in my back yard, sit naked on my front porch swing (without having the neigbors call the cops on me), leave my house door unlocked and the keys to my car in the ignition...etc, etc.

Let's face it, there are advantages and disadvantages wherever we live.

quote:

Let's face it, it's not a fair playing field out there...

Let's face it, there are advantages and disadvantages wherever we live.

I'll disagree and say that it is a fair playingfield, but it's not a level one. It's not very smooth either. But the idea of pins is a good one, and I think that 100 should be the increment of choice. In addition to a pin, how about a little icon by your geoscreenname?

King Pellinore

quote:

But it would be interesting to see a second 'weighted' comparision, that showed each person's 'percentage of finds' from the available caches within various distances from their home coordinates.

Or you could compare your number of finds to others from your state . . . that would probably be the fairest comparison.

But I dunno . . . I did a quick check, and saw 200 caches in "the boonies" near you. You have 20 finds, so that's 10 percent. That's not really a "competitive" percentage, I think. But since the game is all about having fun, I hope you've enjoyed all the ones you've done.

quote:

I did a quick check, and saw 200 caches in "the boonies" near you. You have 20 finds, so that's 10 percent. That's not really a "competitive" percentage, I think. But since the game is all about having fun, I hope you've enjoyed all the ones you've done.

You consider a 200 mile round trip to be "near" by? icon_eek.gif (And more than half of those you cited are at least 150 miles round trip.) If you want to consider me a "poor competitor", I'll still sleep at night. I'm curious what percentage of your finds are over 75 miles from your house?

Besides, I never claimed to be doing this "competitively"...so I'm not sure what your point is in criticizing my find rate. If you look for my name on the overall standings board, you'll have to scroll through many many pages before you find me. Regardless of MY standings, I think the overall look of the board would change noticeably if they used the criteria I mentioned.

And yes, thank you, I have enjoyed the caches I've found...very much so! icon_smile.gif

quote:

I did a quick check, and saw 200 caches in "the boonies" near you. You have 20 finds, so that's 10 percent. That's not really a "competitive" percentage, I think. But since the game is all about having fun, I hope you've enjoyed all the ones you've done.

You consider a 200 mile round trip to be "near" by? icon_eek.gif (And more than half of those you cited are at least 150 miles round trip.) If you want to consider me a "poor competitor", I'll still sleep at night. I'm curious what percentage of your finds are over 75 miles from your house?

Besides, I never claimed to be doing this "competitively"...so I'm not sure what your point is in criticizing my find rate. If you look for my name on the overall standings board, you'll have to scroll through many many pages before you find me. Regardless of MY standings, I think the overall look of the board would change noticeably if they used the criteria I mentioned.

And yes, thank you, I have enjoyed the caches I've found...very much so! icon_smile.gif

quote:

You consider a 200 mile round trip to be "near" by? icon_eek.gif (And more than half of those you cited are at least 150 miles round trip.)

I used the "nearby caches" function from one of your caches to discover how many caches were within the standard 100 mile radius. The answer was 197. I do not know how far they actually are from your house, but I do not consider a 150 mile round trip day of geocaching to be exceptional.

quote:

If you want to consider me a "poor competitor", I'll still sleep at night. I'm curious what percentage of your finds are over 75 miles from your house?

Please do not put words in my mouth. You brought up the subject of comparisons. I merely pointed out that of the number of caches available to you, you have chosen to search for only a handful of them. Those are facts, taken directly from the cache statistics. Of the approximately 200 caches within 100 miles of your area, you have found 20. Of the approximately 675 caches within 100 miles of my area, I have found 324. The relative percentages is a fair comparison. I don't know precisely how many of my finds were over 75 miles from home, but it's a pretty big number.

quote:

Besides, I never claimed to be doing this "competitively"...so I'm not sure what your point is in criticizing my find rate.

See above. I did not criticize anything.

quote:

Regardless of MY standings, I think the overall look of the board would change noticeably if they used the criteria I mentioned.

Probably not. It seems most of the leaders have found a high percentage of the caches in their respective areas . . . some appear to have found a significantly greater number of caches than are placed in their home areas.

quote:

And yes, thank you, I _have_ enjoyed the caches I've found...very much so! icon_smile.gif

Glad to hear it!

quote:

You consider a 200 mile round trip to be "near" by? icon_eek.gif (And more than half of those you cited are at least 150 miles round trip.)

I used the "nearby caches" function from one of your caches to discover how many caches were within the standard 100 mile radius. The answer was 197. I do not know how far they actually are from your house, but I do not consider a 150 mile round trip day of geocaching to be exceptional.

quote:

If you want to consider me a "poor competitor", I'll still sleep at night. I'm curious what percentage of your finds are over 75 miles from your house?

Please do not put words in my mouth. You brought up the subject of comparisons. I merely pointed out that of the number of caches available to you, you have chosen to search for only a handful of them. Those are facts, taken directly from the cache statistics. Of the approximately 200 caches within 100 miles of your area, you have found 20. Of the approximately 675 caches within 100 miles of my area, I have found 324. The relative percentages is a fair comparison. I don't know precisely how many of my finds were over 75 miles from home, but it's a pretty big number.

quote:

Besides, I never claimed to be doing this "competitively"...so I'm not sure what your point is in criticizing my find rate.

See above. I did not criticize anything.

quote:

Regardless of MY standings, I think the overall look of the board would change noticeably if they used the criteria I mentioned.

Probably not. It seems most of the leaders have found a high percentage of the caches in their respective areas . . . some appear to have found a significantly greater number of caches than are placed in their home areas.

quote:

And yes, thank you, I _have_ enjoyed the caches I've found...very much so! icon_smile.gif

Glad to hear it!

I'm all for it, then again, i've got a personal competition going between me and a friend. He's got me by about 30 caches but he started 3 months before me. But anyway....

I just logged my 82nd today and I have to agree that looking back, 50 is not that many BUT before you hit 50 100 seems like it'll never happen. So think 50 is a good started for pins and such. After that 100, 200, 300 seems like the natural milestone marker.

As for a percentage of caches in the area, there are a little over 700 caches within 100 miles of me and I've hit 80 (2 were no visit caches, that is just a bit over 10%. I don't think percentage can be used as a marker for how hard you're hunting.

george