Opinions Needed - Garmin GPS12

Guest Omicron

Guest Omicron

I've got the opportunity to upgrade from my Magellan GPS 310 to a Garmin GPS12 (the base version, not color or able to download maps). The price I'll be paying is $120 plus shipping. What is the opinion of anyone that has experience with these? Is this GPS unit reliable, good quality? Are there any features of it that might end up driving me up a wall? Let me know...

Guest leaper64

I have been using gps12 for 6 months+. I have used it to make 3 stashes and find 2 so far. My only problem was battery consumption, I was changing batteries after 8-10 hrs....until I bought the power cable. In my opinion, a power cable is a must with this unit. FYI, I have had it side by side with the III+, and accuracy and ability to receive signal seemed identical. The III+ is considerably more dough, but does have some nice features (basemaps). The gps12 is a good unit for the money.

I agree with Leaper64, Omicron, the GPS12 seems to be a good unit for the money. I've only had it since Christmas but have used it quite a bit for various things. On the two stashes I've gone searching for both times I was within ten feet of the stash when the distance to waypoint read 0.00 miles. That seems pretty good to me. I am curious, however, how it will do once the leaves are on the trees.

Guest leaper64

one more thing, if you decide to go with the garmin gps12, i've found a good on-line source for power cables...and a few other accessories. try nupples.com

he is even offering free shipping until 25 jan.

I have had a 12 for nearly two years now. It now serves as a backup to my III+, which I got in 2000. It's a good, basic unit. In fact, for Geocaching, sometimes I think not having maps makes it a bit more fun and challenging.

There are a couple of drawbacks. One is that the external power/data connector is different from other Garmin products; it has a registration pin in the center that prevents cables from other Garmin products from fitting.

The reason for this is that the 12 requires a lower power supply voltage -- you can't send 12 volts directly into it. The III+ power cord is a "straight-thru" cord, while the one for the 12 is a special regulator that drops the DC down to 8 volts or so. The pin keeps you from plugging a III+ power cord into your 12 and turning it into charcoal.

Another drawback is that you can't connect an external antenna to the 12 ... the 12XL added that feature.

Scott

Guest Steve D, Australia

I've been using a Garmin 12 for almost 2 years now, have covered more than 16,000 km's all around Australia with it on ong trips plus thousands of km's in the local area (300 kn radius or so), mapped stacks of waypoints, etc. Only fault I can pick is the battery consumption when handheld, but I have no other GPS unit to compare it to. Mine is almost permanently in my car on a power cord.

Since last year when the positional estimation accuracy was improved I regularly get 5 metres or so accuracy - good enough for me! I have a friend who has just bought the Garmin e-map, and though I like his unit I find my display (lacking a map as it does) easier to read at a glance and not so "cluttered".

Guest KISAFRG

quote:
Originally posted by Omicron:

I've got the opportunity to upgrade from my Magellan GPS 310 to a Garmin GPS12 (the base version, not color or able to download maps). The price I'll be paying is $120 plus shipping. What is the opinion of anyone that has experience with these? Is this GPS unit reliable, good quality? Are there any features of it that might end up driving me up a wall? Let me know...

The first GPS unit I had was a GPS-38, being 8 channel it was slow and I couldnt get a fix even under a tree with leaves. Much to be desired. I fixed the problem though...I dropped it in the bottom of my canoe in about 3 inches of water for about 10 sec. and it died. I sent it to Garmin (I'd had it for over two years) and they fixed it, with a brand new GPS-12! I can get a good fix even inside my house with this unit. Its fast, and I really like it. Havent used any other GPS's to be able to compair it though. I still dont have faith in it being waterproof, even though they guarentee it. I just put mine in a zip lock bag when I'm on the water to be safe.

------------------

Guest donovano

I don't think the question should be "is the Garmin 12 a good unit", as it definitly is, but rather should you upgrade? The $120 plus shipping is about the same price as buying a Magellan 315/Garmin 12 pretty much anywhere. You need to ask yourself it the new units will have any features you need? The 310 is a 12 channel parallel reciever, so it will be just as accurate as the M315/G12. The new ones can store more waypoints, but do you need more than 100? Do you need more than 13 datums? Personally, I would keep using the 310 and wait for the mapping units to drop a bit more and then move up to one of those. I have a 315 and never come close to using it to capacity. Now, a mapping unit might be fun to play with.....

Guest OregonSurveyor

quote:
Originally posted by leaper64:

I have been using gps12 for 6 months+. I have used it to make 3 stashes and find 2 so far. My only problem was battery consumption, I was changing batteries after 8-10 hrs....until I bought the power cable.

Right Leaper. My 2 year old Garmin GPS12 is pretty hard on batteries. It's been a great unit, both durable and accurate. It may be advertising hype, but the new "ultra" batteries seem to be greatly extending the life, may 20% to 40%...this is just a gut feeling. Any problems with your power cable? I'm going to be getting one soon, so I'll go check that nupples.com site.

Happy geohunting.

------------------

Lat. N 45d-30.6875'

Long. W 122d-37.2055'

Elev.=172.97'

king6kids@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by OregonSurveyor (edited 01-23-2001).]