Coke to use GPS in promotion

Kealia

When I first read that article, I thought that it must be a joke. It seemed too far-fetched to be real. But here is another site regarding Coors similar test promotion which gives a bit more detail on the concept. The transponder is activated when you take the cap/lid off. Presumably a winner knows instantly that he is a winner (finding no beverage in the can). My guess is that the rules probably direct winners to go outside to an open area and wait for the prize crew to show up. Now if you were to open a can in the wilderness at the summit of a mountain ....

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

...Coors similar test promotion...

It would be ironic if they tracked that one to the driver of a moving vehicle!

So does it use WAAS, so they don't award the guy standing next to you also drinking a Coke?

Do you not get the prize if standing under dense foliage?

Hehe..

Randy

quote:

Presumably a winner knows instantly that he is a winner (finding no beverage in the can).

Wouldn't that suck? You're out fishing with your buddies and you're on your last 6-pack of Coke. You pass out a can to everyone and you're stuck without a drink!

Even worse, you're stranded somewhere and it's your last can of Coke...

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by gallahad:

Dibs on the Hummer... icon_biggrin.gif but I'd prefer the model H1.

Exactly! the H2 is just a Hummer wannabee.

For the Coke thing, it cant just be a GPS receiver, satellites don't 'see' them.

Might be a GPS receiver with a cell phone, or it might work like the Emergency locator beacons the military (and now civilians) use.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

quote:
Originally posted by martmann:

quote:

For the Coke thing, it cant just be a GPS receiver, satellites don't 'see' them.

Might be a GPS receiver with a cell phone, or it might work like the Emergency locator beacons the military (and now civilians) use.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

http://community.webshots.com/album/67423220KEECyy http://community.webshots.com/album/71654825qQctnv

martmann,

They state in one of the threads above and in both the links provided, that a transponder is used. A transponder takes the reading from the satellites and transmits it as a radio signal to a receiver. This gives the exact position of the item to a receiving computer and displays the info on a map. This transponder would automatically turn on when the can is opened and, yes, I am sure for this to work, that the can would also have some built in way of letting the user know that the can is a winner, be it being empty, beeping, talking or some other way that is sure to scare the bejeezus out of some unsuspecting person!

Considering there is a Coke bottler in almost (probably all) major cities, the odds of the response team being more than an hour or so away from the can when the transponder goes off, is slim.

Now, just so's the can doesn't end up in the trash truck before they get there!

Cdirto

P.S. here's a link to a transponder site IBM location transponder

I can go anywhere!! ... (if my wife lets me)

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Wouldn't that suck? You're out fishing with your buddies and you're on your last 6-pack of Coke. You pass out a can to everyone and you're stuck without a drink!

Wouldn't suck at all! Even though I was thirsty, I'd have riches beyond your wildest imagination. icon_wink.gif

~robert

www.CacheGear.com

mdgpsbanner.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

quote:

Presumably a winner knows instantly that he is a winner (finding no beverage in the can).

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

LOL I'll be happy to share my coke with you if you just hand over that can. bad_boy_a.gif

Cheers!

TL

quote:

quote:

True, but what percentage of either Hummer, not counting the ones the military owns, is ever driven off-road?

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

quote:
Originally posted by SLCDave:

quote:

quote:

True, but what percentage of either Hummer, not counting the ones the military owns, is ever driven off-road?

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

If it was mine, you can bet it would be off-roading.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers!

TL

Mine too, but how many other people would take theirs out? They are "too pretty" for most people to get all dirty ,scratched and dented, I guess.

''... And in a promotion tied to the Summer Olympics, Coke's prize is likely to be $1 million in gold, again awarded on the spot... ''

Awarded on the spot. Oh, great. Up there on top of a mountain, miles from anywhere. First the coke can's empty. Then someone turns up in a helicopter with a million dollars worth of gold and a film crew - 'there you go, it's all yours, smile for the camera, right that's it, bye now ...'

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

Great.

Now I know how I'm going to be spending *my* summer: picking up every can of Coke in the store and flipping it to see if there's liquid inside!!

(b. katt, 7/14/03)

Save your time icon_smile.gif , with the original 'Magic Can' they developed a can that would weigh the exact same, shake the same, etc... The problem with that promotion, was that the mechanical device that ejected the cash malfunctioned so people cut up the cans, and thought they could drink the liquid.

That said, they will probably use something different just for liability reasons, but you can be garaunteed that you won't be able to tell the difference.

RX

Any deity worthy of a graven image can cobble up a working universe complete with fake fossils in under a week - hey, if you're not omnipotent, there's no real point in being a god. But to start with a big ball of elementary particles and end up with the duckbill platypus without constant twiddling requires a degree of subtlety and the ability to Think Things Through: exactly the qualities I'm looking for when I'm shopping for a Supreme Being.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh):

''... And in a promotion tied to the Summer Olympics, Coke's prize is likely to be $1 million in gold, again awarded on the spot... ''

Awarded on the spot. Oh, great. Up there on top of a mountain, miles from anywhere. First the coke can's empty. Then someone turns up in a helicopter with a million dollars worth of gold and a film crew - 'there you go, it's all yours, smile for the camera, right that's it, bye now ...'

Bill

So... with today's spot gold price hovering around $380/oz., $1M works out to about 165 troy pounds or 135ish pounds. Have fun lugging that back down to your car icon_razz.gif Then again, I'm sure you could find some people who'd be willing to help you!

----

Never let Common Sense Get in the Way of Determination.

There was an article in time magazine recently (a side bar actually to a larger piece) which talked about gps technology and transponders and the amazing things they'll be applied to in the next five years.

One thing use suggested by the engineer being interviewed talked about losing your keys (fitted with the technology) and being able to sign onto a website and have your keys tell you where they are. crazy stuff. (although I'm sure he was just giving an example off the top of his head).

The article itself was about increasing privacy issues involved with the technology.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Iwonder how long it sends the signal after the can is opened?

If I find one at work, I will likely be out of cel service - which is irrelevent, because the GPS signal won't find it's way inside my working environment. Which may also be irrelevent, because if I interrupt my work to greet the prize delivery team (good luck to them on getting to me), I would probably get fired.

Bummer. Hey, that rymes with Hummer (sigh). icon_frown.gif

"...clear as mud?"

quote:
Originally posted by GeoTeam Maggi:

Well some things are for sure:

+ I will always open my Coke with a clear view of the sky

LOL!

I did a search for this topic and didn't find it (the search for terms timed out 2c) so I made my own thread, then jeremy pointed me here, so I'll repost what i said there...

I recently received this editorial in a newsletter I receive daily....

Editor's Perspective

Pop Goes GPS

Jason Ankeny

Oct 1 2003

On the Air has already spent considerable time and space discussing the advertising war waged by Nextel and Verizon Communications over their rival push-to-talk services, but the deeper question worth posing is this: Just what is Madison Avenue smoking these days, anyway? First there's the controversial new Quizno's sub sandwich commercial featuring a guy nursing at the teat of a mother wolf--an image so disgusting, it could make Dom DeLuise lose his appetite--and now Coca-Cola is proposing to launch the most misguided campaign since Burger King set that "Herb" dweeb loose on America some years back. And believe it or not, Coke's plans could negatively impact the wireless industry.

In the summer of 2004, to coincide with its sponsorship of the Summer Olympics, Coke will launch a contest by equipping special cans with GPS transponders that the company will use to pinpoint the location of prizewinners. Details are still sketchy, but it sounds like if you chance your way into purchasing one of the random cans, Coke representatives will then triangulate your location via satellite, hunt you down like a pack of wild dogs, corner you at home, your office or in some dark alleyway, and hand you the keys to a brand new Hummer sport-utility vehicle. Coke calls it "advertising." Most people call it "invasion of privacy."

That sound you hear is George Orwell spinning in his grave. I don't care that there are prizes involved: under no circumstances should companies be randomly inserting GPS transponders in their products, nor should they be using them to track the movements of their customers. There are many sensible applications for GPS technology--E-911 services, for example--but consumers should at least understand the implications of satellite tracking and have a choice in whether or not they want their coordinates beamed to that proverbial eye in the sky.

For the wireless industry, the problem with Coke's plans is that by provoking reasonable concerns over basic privacy rights, some genuinely worthwhile and potentially life-saving GPS applications could suffer from guilt by association. More than any other wireless technology, GPS needs established limits and boundaries, and shameless corporate marketing ploys fall nowhere within those parameters. But once that genie is out of the bottle (or in this case, the can), it's not going back in.

personally I don't think its that far removed from Publishers Clearinghouse knocking on your door, or Aquafina catching you with their bottled water and giving you a prize. as long as its clearly marked or displayed, you have a choice.

a) Like the game? buy the can of coke

:) Don't like the game? buy a **bottle** of coke instead

c) REALLY don't like the game? buy a pepsi.

I dont think this is that big a deal. Those who want to "play", will. Those who don't, won't, and therefore have nothing to fear, altghough I do agree with that editors point about "the genie out of the bottle". I've heard that somebody is woreking on little receivers the size of a grain of salt which can track lots of things including movement.

Tracking for game purposes? sure. tracking me for marketing purposes (especially without telling me) hell no. I really think the editor is a wee bit overboard in his reaction though. I think he gives folks too much credit for "gittin it", and not enough credit for going paranoid about all gps technology.

PS not to get off topic but I have a great sense of humor and even I was wondering about those quiznos ads. Yeesh!

Monsieur Sock Puppet

The name is French. It is pronounced Poo-Pay, not like the silly childrens toy.

I believe this is how it works...

The GPS device doesn't beam your coords to the sats. A phone call is placed to the device using cell phone services. The coords are read and sent back (via cell phone) to the inquiring mind/computer. The coords are automatically placed on a map to determine location.

Am I worried about people tracking my whereabouts? Nah, the service required is available mostly around major metro areas, which is of course, Coke's dream.

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers!

TL

If it were mine, I would take it off road too. I have a Land Rover Discovery Series II and it goes off road. Also a Land Cruiser FJ40 and I have taken it on excursions you wouldn't want to go on !

LT1