Very first cache in each state?

juliamark

When trying to find out which cache is oldest, do NOT go by GC waypoint number. The original group of cache numbers were not assigned sequentially.

Instead, one easy way to search is to go to the Hide and Seek a Cache Page, and enter the state you are interested in. You'll get a list of every cache in the state, sorted by date hidden. At the beginning of the list are all the newest caches... this is where the First to Find junkies hang out. But if you hit the >> link to go to the last page, you'll see the oldest cache.

For Pennsylvania where I live, the first cache placed is also the oldest active cache: State Game Lands #109, placed by a team of confluence hunters on September 21, 2000.

124791_700.jpg Don't make me stop this car!

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

Instead, one easy way to search is to go to the Hide and Seek a Cache Page, and enter the state you are interested in. You'll get a list of every cache in the state, sorted by date hidden. At the beginning of the list are all the newest caches... this is where the First to Find junkies hang out. But if you hit the >> link to go to the last page, you'll see the oldest cache.

That's good advice KA - but won't this show the oldest ACTIVE cache. I wonder if somebody has a list of the oldest cache period (including archived caches). Of course you can't hunt them, but it'd be neat for historical purposes.

southdeltan

mystats.php?userid=southdeltan&vopt=link&txtdata=MS%20Geocachers%20Association&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=msga-logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

That's good advice KA - but won't this show the oldest ACTIVE cache. I wonder if somebody has a list of the oldest cache period (including archived caches). Of course you can't hunt them, but it'd be neat for historical purposes.

Ahhh, but you forget... admins can see archived caches in the list. And for a mere $5.00 sent to my PayPal account, I will tell you the oldest cache in any state, whether or not archived. SouthDeltan gets a freebie since he asked: there are no archived caches in Mississippi that are older than Bonita Lakes. In fact, out of the first 25 caches in MS, all but 9 are still active... which is pretty good.

124791_700.jpg Don't make me stop this car!

I believe Burke Lake Park is the oldest active cache in VA.

In it's original submission on December 17, 2000 this was the 5th cache in the state and the 238th overall. From what I can gather, the original coordinates were off (datum problem?) and it was resubmitted about a month later (after no one could find it, although it never moved) becoming #373.

Thought we lost it for a while, but it was just in deep hiding. It's on it's third logbook after ~150 entries.

Success is not measured by the position one has reached in life, rather by the obstacles overcome while trying to succeed.

- Booker T. Washington

[This message was edited by bigcall on October 10, 2003 at 03:01 PM.]

Virginia is a tricky matter. There is also Elvis Confluence, which is apparently very difficult to get to, since it has only been found twice. The official date on the site is 1/6/01, which predates Burke Lake by 9 days. However, the previous poster has information that Burke Park was actually posted a month earlier at one point. I'm not sure which one should be the "official" date.

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

Ahhh, but you forget... admins can see archived caches in the list. And for a mere $5.00 sent to my PayPal account, I will tell you the oldest cache in any state, whether or not archived. SouthDeltan gets a freebie since he asked: there are no archived caches in Mississippi that are older than Bonita Lakes. In fact, out of the first 25 caches in MS, all but 9 are still active... which is pretty good.

Hehehe - but I already knew that Bonita Lakes was the oldest MS cache - Period. I beleive it was also one of the first 100 waypoints entered on gc.com (but NOT one of the first 100 caches in order of age).

Hrm.... does Jeremy know about your use of a paypal account? icon_wink.gif

southdeltan

mystats.php?userid=southdeltan&vopt=link&txtdata=MS%20Geocachers%20Association&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=msga-logo.jpg

Call me silly, but how do you sort by date hidden from the Hide and Seek page?? For Instance, I can choose the state of Florida and it shows me all the caches in the state but I am unable to sort it by date hidden...

According to the 100 Oldest Webpages link provided by RuffRidr, the oldest one in Florida was Point Washington which is now archived.

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow 30296_400.gif

mystats.php?userid=Doc-Dean&vopt=user&txtdata=I%20am%20Still%20Ignoring%20Stats!!&bgcol=3333ff&fgcol=ffff99