Can we salvage anything good from this pirate issue?

SylvrStorm

There have been plenty (!) of comments against pirating of caches, and several in favour of it if done right. The problems with the 'bad' pirates are obvious. We don't need any more car analogies to understand that nobody wants their caches' contents stolen. The problems with the 'good' pirates may be a little more nebulous, but that's been talked to death in other threads as well.

What I'd like to do in this thread is see if there's any hope of evolving this into something that is an acceptable new variation to the game. For anyone tempted to shout "NO!" without reading further, think of those who condemn all geocaching because of the unfortunate misguided actions of a small minority of cachers. We all believe that geocaching is good if done right, so let's go ahead with the assumption that any new variation will be good if done right. We also have to accept that any new variation will not appeal to everyone, and that's fine so long as they can continue to experience geocaching as they've done to date.

First off, I think we'd need to agree that nobody's cache is modified in any way without prior permission from the cache owner. This seems to be the biggest gripe with the recent pirate activity, and by setting this as the prevailing rule, it should alleviate the primary concerns.

With that out of the way, the next thing we need to do is come up with a name other than pirating. That label has too much baggage tied to it. I'm open to suggestions.

I think for this to work, it has to be an accepted variation here on this site. Having a separate site like piratecaching.com invited the sort of people who liked to defy accepted standards, and also made it more difficult to prevent the negative behaviour. While we can never stop such sites from operating, we may be able to influence those who really did just want to improve the game by letting them do so in an acceptable way.

One more critical rule would be that the original container, with the original log book (at a minimum) be left in the original cache location, thus allowing cachers who don't like the variant to still find and enjoy the cache as it was originally intended.

So, what would such a variation look like? I think it amounts to an extension of or variation to an existing cache. One of the things we'd need to discuss would be whether they are permanent or temporary. Maybe there's room for both.

A permanent one would essentially turn a traditional cache into a multi. People might ask why not just place a separate cache? Indeed, why not? But then why aren't all multi's set up as separate caches? Sometimes another cacher might have an idea that just fits really well with the original; they collaborate, and it becomes a multi. No problem with that. This variation would just make it official.

A temporary addition would amount to the placing of a special note in an existing cache with instructions to finding something more. When the additional prize is found, it's kept by the finder. This has apparently been done in some areas already, and I haven't seen any complaints about it.

Does the cache contents stay in the original container, or move to the new end point? I'd say this should be discussed and agreed between the original cache owner and the cache extender. Cache owners won't want their caches left empty, but I can see there could be times they'd agree for some or all of it to be replaced by the extender's new swag. Some cache owners might even like the idea of their cache contents being moved according to the rules on the piratecaching.com site, essentially making their traditional temporarily into a puzzle-multi, with a prize for the next finder. Again, any change like this is only done with full knowledge and approval of the cache owner.

Who owns the extension? This is probably moot for a temporary extension, but what about a permanent one? I can think of reasons for both sides, but I think I'll leave it open for discussion. Maybe it needs to be decided case-by-case by the individuals involved.

Sorry this is so long, but I think there's room for a valid variation to the game while addressing the concerns of the pirate-haters.

Looking for the Sylvr lining...

SylvrStorm

PS - For those who like to point fingers - no, I haven't been involved in any of the pirating activities. I'm merely an interested bystander who sees the potential for improving the game, but who also understands that it must be done right for it to work.

I like the idea of surprise multi's, but anything done without the permission (and maybe even the cooperation) of the cache owner just makes their job of maintaining the cache more difficult.

Caching without music is like swimming without water.

Agreed, any variable that is agreed upon by the cache owner is acceptable. I've bee nvocal on the pirate issue just like others but I'm not opposed to variables to the game.

When my Geocoins arrive, I'm going to place instructions/coordinates/poems, etc. in the caches that I place from that point on on how t ofind the coin. The idea is that it will be somewhat nearby (.5 - 5mile radius) and that it will be a 1-time extension for the FTF to grab it.

So the first person to find the cache may or may not be the first person to find the coin. I think it will be a fun adventure for those interested, but nobody will be required to do it to fulfill their cache experince of the original.

Likwise, I have a cache called "Chasing Amy" that requires you to watch the movie to get the coords of the cache. I'm thinking about somehow reversing that with instructions within the cache as well.....

Bottom line, I'm all for variable in my caches as long as I control them.

I like to think I have an open mind and willing to try anything. I like your proposal. As you said, as long as you have permission by the cache owner I'm fine with this variation. Actually I like it. As long as the original cache contains the coords to the new cache And the new cache had ADDITIONAL stuff in it. I also think the location should be worthy of a cache and abide by the same geocaching rules. ie...not on federal property, no within .10 miles of an existing cache ..etc..

Each cache is different. In some cases I might approve of a 'pirate' modification. In others I might like to keep it as it is.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

Kealia, your variables sound interesting. That and your avatar is the way cooler one.

quote:
Originally posted by Kealia:

Agreed, any variable that is agreed upon by the cache owner is acceptable. I've bee nvocal on the pirate issue just like others but I'm not opposed to variables to the game.

When my Geocoins arrive, I'm going to place instructions/coordinates/poems, etc. in the caches that I place from that point on on how t ofind the coin. The idea is that it will be somewhat nearby (.5 - 5mile radius) and that it will be a 1-time extension for the FTF to grab it.

So the first person to find the cache may or may not be the first person to find the coin. I think it will be a fun adventure for those interested, but nobody will be required to do it to fulfill their cache experince of the original.

Likwise, I have a cache called "Chasing Amy" that requires you to watch the movie to get the coords of the cache. I'm thinking about somehow reversing that with instructions within the cache as well.....

Bottom line, I'm all for variable in my caches as long as I control them.

This variant doesn't belong on this site. Here's why:

Moving caches are no longer allowed because it is too hard to verify that a particular placement is safe and legal (or appropriate). This would be the same issue with contents being moved. Basically, the pirate is free to place the contents where ever they like with none of the double checking that we get with the admins. This is a bad thing. Basically what I am saying is that unless the new placement of the "stolen goods" was run by an approver this shouldn't be allowed.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I've seen similar variants before, without the pirate theme.

Something I was wondering about (and yes, it would need to be done with the cache owner's permission) is something I thought of as a "Leprechaun Cache." I hope someone will pass my apologies on to the Leprechauns for my using their name for this) icon_wink.gif

A note is hidden in a cache container from the Leprechauns, that a "pot o' gold" is hidden near by. A map and some hints are included and people (especially those with young children) are encouraged to go looking for it. The pot could be some kind of tupperware container painted black, the treasure could be just about anything.

I think it would add a nice twist to the game, give the kids something fun to do and NOT spoil the original cache for anyone who didn't want to play along.

What do you think? Doable or no?

Bret

39219_2500.gif "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Marky makes an excellent point.

I think the whole thing about 'permission' defeats the purpose of the 'pirates'. How can you steal what you have permission to take?

Some also say it's ok if the cache hider gives permission. What about the geocacher who's looking for the geocache? Some people put a lot of planning into their cache hunts. Some have to drive a long way, etc. I personally want to know what to expect.

If you like mystery - hunt mystery geocaches.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

This variant doesn't belong on this site. Here's why:

Moving caches are no longer allowed because it is too hard to verify that a particular placement is safe and legal (or appropriate). This would be the same issue with contents being moved. Basically, the pirate is free to place the contents where ever they like with none of the double checking that we get with the admins. This is a bad thing. Basically what I am saying is that unless the new placement of the "stolen goods" was run by an approver this shouldn't be allowed.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Why move the cache? Why not set up a "stealth" cache with instructions placed in an "official" cache, so someone who wants to play can discover the "map" and take part?

--------------------

Searching for the lost, Geocache.......

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

I've seen similar variants before, without the pirate theme.

Something I was wondering about (and yes, it would need to be done with the cache owner's permission) is something I thought of as a "Leprechaun Cache." I hope someone will pass my apologies on to the Leprechauns for my using their name for this) icon_wink.gif

A note is hidden in a cache container from the Leprechauns, that a "pot o' gold" is hidden near by. A map and some hints are included and people (especially those with young children) are encouraged to go looking for it. The pot could be some kind of tupperware container painted black, the treasure could be just about anything.

I think it would add a nice twist to the game, give the kids something fun to do and NOT spoil the original cache for anyone who didn't want to play along.

What do you think? Doable or no?

Bret

Absolutely doable, and it's something that you could do without having to ask permission. No cache is raided, nothing is taken, nothing is stolen.

Willing to bet you can even use the pirate site to post where the map/instructions/whatever is hidden. It can be viewed as "piracy" since you are not placing an approved cache, you're "going rogue."

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:It can be viewed as "piracy" since you are not placing an approved cache, you're "going rogue."

Oooh, a rogue pirate! Suddenly I feel a bit more dangerous!

I'd make quite the buckle squasher!

Bret

We put a lot of time and energy deciding where the cache will be placed and what will be in it. I'm sorry you aren't smart enough to figure out how to hide your own cache but I don't need that type of assistance. There is also a proximity rule of .1 mile. So if you place another cache that close I don't see how it will be approved. You would get it approved, right?

It sounds like you want to do a team cache placement but don't know any cachers to ask to do it with.

Thanks, but NO thanks.

Everybody is entitled to my opinion - the ornery oldfart

Here's a Markwell of where I originally heard of the idea. Nice names, piggyback cache, surprise cache, bonus cache. I just sorta thought the leprechaun theme would add a little something for the kids and the "grizzled prospector's hidden booty theme" might scare the kids a bit icon_rolleyes.gif

Bret

quote:
Originally posted by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders):

We put a lot of time and energy deciding where the cache will be placed and what will be in it. I'm sorry you aren't smart enough to figure out how to hide your own cache but I don't need that type of assistance. There is also a proximity rule of .1 mile. So if you place another cache that close I don't see how it will be approved. You would get it approved, right?

It sounds like you want to do a team cache placement but don't know any cachers to ask to do it with.

Thanks, but NO thanks.

Hard to tell which post this is in reference to since you're not using the quote feature. We have to guess that either you're throwing out a blanket insult ("Sorry you're not smart enough to...") or you don't realize that if you click on the quotation marks at the lower right corner of the post you're responding to, it will automatically quote the post.

--------------------

[This message was edited by mckee on September 24, 2003 at 05:11 PM.]

Hard to tell which post this is in reference to since you're not using the quote feature. We have to guess that either you're throwing out a blanket insult ("Sorry you're not smart enough to...") or you don't realize that if you click on the quotation marks at the lower right corner of the post you're responsing to, it will automatically quote the post.

--------------------

Oh is that what thats for, wonder what the yeild sign is for?

I definately am not interested in anyone moving my caches or their contents to new locations.

icon_rolleyes.gif

I take considerable time in selecting locations because of their local surroundings (typically places that 'tourists' to south Florida normally would not go, yet are very beautiful and known mainly to 'locals,' and/or places with a particular challenge.

bad_boy_a.gif

For those that are responding by "don't move my cache/contents/etc...leave me alone!...this idea sucks"...guess what? Save it for when the pirate/leprachaun/mermaid e-mails you to ask your permission.

This isn't an appropriate response to: "What would a variation of this nature look like and can it be acceptable to the administration of Groundspeak?".

I think your proposition holds the best of both worlds possible, Sylvr. In the thread I began, it has also been possible to maybe include the pirate/little-people/etc note on the cache page so that those who would organize elaborate 50 cache days would know to keep that specific one off of their list, since they are uninterested in doing the extra game to get to a trinket.

There are others who would probably want specifically to do all of these in their area before others and would like the advanced warning that a new one had popped up nearby.

I could see it being similar to the way a TB icon pops up on the search page...it would be a skull/crossbones, pot'o'gold, gift box, whatever...

If it is left to be a surprise for the next finder, then maybe a limit on the difficulty of the cache is in order (so that 5/5's don't suddenly get an extra star when you summit Mt. Everest to finish the cache).

Just a few additions to bring in ideas from my other thread.

--

http://www.nedevett.com/gollum.swf

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

quote:

Thanks, but NO thanks.

Hard to tell which post this is in reference to since you're not using the quote feature. We have to guess that either you're throwing out a blanket insult ("Sorry you're not smart enough to...") or you don't realize that if you click on the quotation marks at the lower right corner of the post you're responding to, it will automatically quote the post.

--------------------

[This message was edited by mckee on September 24, 2003 at 05:11 PM.]

'You' refers to the people in general that think it's a good idea to change someone elses cache. If I spend the time and energy to place a cache why would I want someone riding on my coattails and using the same place? If someone wants to use my location it seems pretty obvious that they can/will not find a good location on their own.

If someone adds a 'linked cache' to one of my caches who is responsible for the maintenance of it. Again, will they get it approved through admin first or will it be a surprise?

Does this make it any clearer?

Everybody is entitled to my opinion - the ornery oldfart

OK. let's test this out:

Dear 2oldfatrs,

Hi. I'm an avid geocacher and i notice a great cache of yours, ALL CHOKED UP. I would like to add an extension to that cache. I will abide by the GC.com rules. Anyone that finds your cache will get credit for the find and have the option of hunting for the extension if they choose. The extension will also contain a few goodies as well as a log book.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

-JMB

Because now I am Lost.

Actually so far I've found 16 great places to hide caches in less than 3 months. But that's not the point. The point is very simply, you said no. Great. Thanks for your time.

Why do away with an idea because some people want and some don't. Just say no.

Lets try it again....

Dear SylvrStorm,

Hi. I'm an avid geocacher and i notice a great cache of yours, 'Check It Out Microcache'. I would like to add an extension to that cache. I will abide by the GC.com rules. Anyone that finds your cache will get credit for the find and have the option of hunting for the extension if they choose. The extension will also contain a few goodies as well as a log book.

-JMB

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by J&MBella:

Dear SylvrStorm,

Hi. I'm an avid geocacher and i notice a great cache of yours, 'Check It Out Microcache'. I would like to add an extension to that cache. I will abide by the GC.com rules. Anyone that finds your cache will get credit for the find and have the option of hunting for the extension if they choose. The extension will also contain a few goodies as well as a log book.

-JMB

Arr!! Your extension cache started in "check it out micro" now be property of Johnny the Squid! We's got yer loot and we's hidden it nearby, if ya be wantin' it back, yer gonna have to follow me treasure map to finds it! Arr!!

LMAO...sorry, just a little humor to lighten the mood in these forums lately...

--

http://www.nedevett.com/gollum.swf

quote:

'You' refers to the people in general that think it's a good idea to change someone elses cache. If I spend the time and energy to place a cache why would I want someone riding on my coattails and using the same place? If someone wants to use my location it seems pretty obvious that they can/will not find a good location on their own.

If someone adds a 'linked cache' to one of my caches who is responsible for the maintenance of it. Again, will they get it approved through admin first or will it be a surprise?

Does this make it any clearer?

Yes, and it doesn't resort to name-calling. That makes it easier to respond to without the temptation to get nasty.

I don't think the idea here is to put forth some huge organized plan, but to find out how things might be done so that a cache owner isn't in danger of finding their cache missing.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by SylvrStorm:

For anyone tempted to shout "NO!" without reading further, think of those who condemn all geocaching because of the unfortunate misguided actions of a small minority of cachers.

I do not approve of those small minority of cachers, and I do not approve of the actions of these "pirates".

If you want to come up with a new variation of the game that is fine with me.

But I expect two things:

1. Let me know about your variation before I head out to try to find your cache!

2. Use your own cache and leave mine out of it!

Maybe a clearer understanding of how third parties should respect cache owners, and geocachers in general, is the "silver lining" that will come out of this "piracy" fiasco!

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

sigavatar.gif

DaveW I could not have said it any better myself.

I just do not understand why we need this. Some of the ideas are actually kinda cute, and the act of asking permission is good, and accepting when someone says no it good, but it's still being associated with what has come to be known as a BAD thing. Why couldn't we just give it a rest, let everyone calm down and cache for a while, then revisit this issue in a couple of months and rehash this.

In the meantime, some of you that WANT to do this sort of thing could do it with your OWN caches, or with each others if there are a couple of you that want to try it together, and SEE what people think of it. On the description pages of the caches you are going to experiment with let people know you are doing so and ask for their impressions once they find the cache and log their find. E-mail them as ask them how they think they'd have felt, and if they would have enjoyed it if they had not known the cache was like that when they arrived to hunt it. If all you are doing is adding an *auxillary* cache to one, rather than moving the contents and makine a cacher hunt for them in order to complete the find, then it seems to me to be harmless.

The fact that people were doing such things in a harmful manner has left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, I'd just let it lie for a while.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Afghanistan was a battle. Iraq was a battle. The war goes on."

Ok something good.

Somewhere in the good pirate experiment they started getting permmission from the cache owner.

So a pirate plunders a cache. The cache owner (a willing 'victim') contacts a school who just so happens to have a young class learning about GPS that day. He askes the to check on his cache as he has to be somewhere else because He thinks something might of happened to it. The kids with GPS in hand and teacher in tow head out to the cache and find it plundered. But wait! There is a note and a treasure map. The kids figure out the map find the booty return it to the cache steal the pirates other booty (left for the kids by the pirate) and go home. They feel good for foiling the pirate, they had more fun than plain old geocaching and everybody has a good time.

Yes it is possible to salvage something good out of this whole cache pirate thing.

Originally posted by ju66l3r:

"For those that are responding by "don't move my cache/contents/etc...leave me alone!...this idea sucks"...guess what? Save it for when the pirate/leprachaun/mermaid e-mails you to ask your permission."

"This isn't an appropriate response to: "What would a variation of this nature look like and can it be acceptable to the administration of Groundspeak?."

Response -- Well excuuuuuuse me ! icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

In the meantime, some of you that WANT to do this sort of thing could do it with your OWN caches, or with each others if there are a couple of you that want to try it together, and SEE what people think of it.

In the land of the wild wild west, it appears that this is already happening.

Appears the approver(s) have let this one go, complete with reference to the cache being in the 'pirate zone', and containing booty for the 'slip of urchin' (not sure if that was CAPTAIN urchin or not...)

But wait, what if a pirate plunders a cache, and then using the contents of that cache, find a cure for cancer and develop a method for room-temperature fusion?

Come on now, have an open mind.

If you have permission, it's not only unlikely to happen, but also not piracy.

If you don't have approval from gc.com, then it shouldn't be associated with a gc.com cache. You are always welcome to set up a cache any way you want (within the law) and publicize it anyway you can get away with.

If you stretch the pirate concept far enough, it becomes non-piracy. E.g. What if a "pirate" visits lots of caches, taking only one item and leaving one "pirate treasure" (of equal or greater value) in each, and then hides all the "ill gotten booty" in a gc.com approved cache, isn't that ok? Oh yeah, and then to be really bad, you have to have the pictures of the loot posted on p*c*.com and talk like a pirate. Cute eh?

I read it all, and my answer is No.

Another name for it? Theft.

Permission is not granted for anyone to mess with my work.

Has anyone thought about the land management issue here or is it just me?

What about the maintenance issue?

And finally, there is no such thing as a "good" pirate.

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Moving caches are no longer allowed because it is too hard to verify that a particular placement is safe and legal (or appropriate).

Reference please? This seems logical and a real killer of the "pirate" concept, at least on gc.com. Even beyond gc.com, non-approval from someone who represents the sport as well as gc.com seems like a real disservice to the sport in general. But I guess if you really are trying to do more harm in the world than good...

If I do a keyword search on "moving", I get 43 hits, many of which look to be moving caches. Should they be archived?

quote:
Originally posted by Pluckers:Yeah, it makes it not pirating.

I suggest a new thread.

If they want to call it "pirating," who cares? Cachers refer to "aliens" and "muggles." Are they anti-wizards or from outer space?

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

If they want to call it "pirating," who cares? Cachers refer to "aliens" and "muggles." Are they anti-wizards or from outer space?

(speaking in a slow voice)

because... pirates... loot... and... steal...

Main Entry: pi·ra·cy

Pronunciation: 'pI-r&-sE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -cies

Etymology: Medieval Latin piratia, from Late Greek peirateia, from Greek peiratEs pirate

Date: 1537

1 : an act of robbery on the high seas; also : an act resembling such robbery

2 : robbery on the high seas

3 : the unauthorized use of another's production, invention, or conception especially in infringement of a copyright

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location