Numbers Game?

Ever since I've been on the message board and at teh geocaching.com website, it has always been stated about peoples numbers (finds/hides) and etc. Is it a numbers game? Trust me I respect the person with 1000 finds if not more. But i also respect the person with 2 finds just the same. It keeps popping up in posts on threads about "when you get such and such finds..." or basically that if you don't have a certain number of finds that you aren't worthy.

Then there are the posts that you post too much. So now the numbers are reversed. The fewer the numbers there, the better.

It all seems to be a numbers game and those who feel that way, feel that they need to build a reputation or profile of someone that does not fall into their idealistic quota.

For those into it for their trophy points, I suggest for little icons to be placed under their avatar. Perhaps a shiny brass trophy for the ones with over 500 finds and maybe a sparkling silver one for 1000 finds...and etc... Let them have their tropies and let them shine in their glory.

Maybe for people like me who like to post and talk a lot, we could have an icon of a mouth and put a tooth in it for every 100 posts...Would only take 3200 posts to get a mouthful.... icon_biggrin.gif

My opinion of associating a number with the ability to understand of something so simple to do is rediculous. Just as because one may have a masters or phd does not mean they have any common sense.

I believe there are people here of different abilities and levels. Because they are currently on a different level, does not mean that they don't understand, have knowledge or even an opinion at that. Of course one with more finds may have some better knowledge of some others. That's great. Help the others out if that's what you want to do. Let people be on their own levels and advance as their wants, abilities, and needs arise.

Reversing it all around would be like me saying that someone with so many finds, does not have a life. They need to take time to relax and take care of other things that are more important in life. Would I say that? No, because it makes no difference how much you cache or how little you post. This is a place that is supposed to not only be a learning place, byut a place to enjoy and come together as one.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

I agree with what you said there. The icon thing is a neat idea and I've seen that done on other message boards for those who are all worried about numbers. Personally, I don't think too big a deal should be made about numbers though. You can have an awesome time caching no matter how "experienced" you are.

jhwf4

Kanto, run! Run like you never have run before! You have 12 posts in 1 day! Oh my, with a record like that, you will average more posts than I! Hey wait a minute, that may take some heat off of me...lol icon_wink.gif

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

I've always thought of it as a "letters game".

I aspire to make it to Y someday.

Y? Because we LIKE you!

M_O_U_S_E!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by jhwf4:

I agree with what you said there. The icon thing is a neat idea and I've seen that done on other message boards for those who are all worried about numbers. Personally, I don't think too big a deal should be made about numbers though. You can have an awesome time caching no matter how "experienced" you are.

jhwf4

Ditto. There are other message boards belong to. And this is the only one that the people put a negative on you posting too much. Other ones like the camping ones don't say you post too much and don't camp enough. As a matter of fact they don't care if you get to camp once a year or 100 times a year. They base your ability or knowledge on that. They just enjoy conversing with other campers as a whole. And you knwo what? I've never seen them flame each other either that I can remember. Given that so many protest that this is a family event and sport, it doesn't seem like it in the forums... icon_frown.gif

Actually there should be a disclaimer that you have to be a certain age to be on the forum. I wouldn't want my 12 yr old son to see the rudeness on here and perhaps have a chance at it directed at him.

Just as someone stated that one will build their reputation on their posting, they are correct. That includes the flaming and rudeness as well.

Brian

I've been known to post now and then icon_wink.gif and since I've been laid off, I do spend a lot more time on these boards than I did previously. There is a sense of community here that I had in work, but miss as I sit in front of the PC searching for a new job. This place fills a void.

I don't think the issue is the number of finds someone has, or the number of posts. Some people like to spend more time geocaching and others enjoy the social aspects of forums like this one. I don't think one is any better than the other.

What many here object to are the newbies who come along and act like authorities, or try change the rules of the game, without first taking the time to check out the scene. The occasional poke at someone's post to find ratio is a reaction to that.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 14, 2003 at 05:39 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

What many here object to are the newbies who come along and act like authorities, or try change the rules of the game, without first taking the time to check out the scene.

Or suck up to Jeremy by playing yes-man. That's a job for the old-timers. We worked hard to get to the buttocks of the website, and we demand respect!

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Actually there should be a disclaimer that you have to be a certain age to be on the forum. I wouldn't want my 12 yr old son to see the rudeness on here and perhaps have a chance at it directed at him.

There is an age limit. If you don't want your 12 yr. old to browse inappropriate forums - don't let him surf unsupervised. I'd recommend you keep him far from the internet newsgroups as well. REC.CLIMBING and REC.BACKCOUNTRY are rife with double entendres, sarcasm, and (yes) some actual climbing and backpacking discussion.

I don't let my 4 yr. old drive the car on cache hunts, regardless of what people have posted in support of his driving opportunities.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

I don't remember an age limit on here. My son has his own profile, but he is not allowed on the forums as it is. You are correct in that they should be supervised. I'm all for parents acting as censors. The intent on my statement was the fact that so many state this is a family thing, but act in ways that they would not want their own kids to see or experience.

Brian

quote:
There is an age limit. If you don't want your 12 yr. old to browse inappropriate forums - don't let him surf unsupervised. I'd recommend you keep him far from the internet newsgroups as well. REC.CLIMBING and REC.BACKCOUNTRY are rife with double entendres, sarcasm, and (yes) some actual climbing and backpacking discussion.

Seeing disagreements on forums is incredibly common. This forum is much better than others I have posted on (the ESPN forums can get particularly nasty). On forums, disagrements often arise when someone takes sarcasm etc. too literally. Other times, a person writes something that they might not have written if they had more experience or had researched the topic. As already mentioned, this is often where the references to numbers comes in. If people jump on them for that and they get upset, well things just get worse. Once in awhile there are true arguments with rude comments between people that just plain don't like each other. Those aren't pleasent, but hey, they happen in real life too.

Anyway, I wouldn't let a kid onto any forum until I knew he or she could handle getting flamed, seeing others get flamed, and would generally have good manners.I also would want to be sure the kid could generally recognize witty remarks and sarcasm from flames. If he or she got in an argument, I would want to know that he or she could emotionally handle it. Of course, this is decent criteria for adults to have before using forums too!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
>snip< The intent on my statement was the fact that so many state this is a family thing, but act in ways that they would not want their own kids to see or experience.

Backpacking's a family experience (as is climbing), but I wouldn't say that extends to the internet newsgroups about the sport.

Don't throw your family values line when people dislike your perspective or posts. Remember, there's no minimum-skills requirement for parenthood - so if you're going to apply your personal perspective on parenting to Internet chatrooms, you're in for a disappointment.

These forums are just a version of internet chat. And my 4 yr. old still can't drive.

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

[This message was edited by HartClimbs on July 14, 2003 at 02:30 PM.]

We are not talking about newsgroups. They are an entirely different aspect of the type of thing. I'm surprised that newsgroups are even still around with what normally goes on them. Years ago, you could at once have a conversation on there without worries of trolls and spammers. The last time I was on one (years ago) it was getting bad then. The forums are a way to help control that type of thing. Parenting has nothing to do with a forum. My statement was from the aspect that it should be more user friendly to those of all ages. Just because it happens elsewhere, doesn't mean it has to happen everywhere.

Brian

quote:

My statement was from the aspect that it should be more user friendly to those of all ages. Just because it happens elsewhere, doesn't mean it has to happen everywhere.

You fail to take into account those who don't have kids, will never have kids, and don't really give a **** what your kids might see. It's not my job to watch my mouth, it's your job to watch your kids.

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
My statement was from the aspect that it should be more user friendly to those of all ages. Just because it happens elsewhere, doesn't mean it has to happen everywhere.

Hey bud, had to come out of exile one last time to give you a hint on something. YOU CAN'T MAKE PEOPLE LIKE YOU. Especially those of us with Masters Degrees who are ABD.

danny

SR and dboggny.

It's not a popularity contest sranddboggny.us and you are eliminated. icon_biggrin.gif

Ok, WArm Fuzzies I will agree with you...you are correct that some do not have kids and do not need to watch their mouth...but you just did ?

Brian

quote:

Ok, WArm Fuzzies I will agree with you...you are correct that some do not have kids and do not need to watch their mouth...but you just did ?

Shirley you've posted here enough times to know that the forum censors the "bad" words for you.

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

quote:

Shirley you've posted here enough times to know that the forum censors the "bad" words for you.

http://parkrrrr.com/pirate.cgi.gif

The name isn't Shirley icon_biggrin.gif

But yes I know about the censor of bad words on forums... and there is a reason for it....

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

I was going to say something. I did.

Smartest reply I've read all day! ;-)

As for the original topic - I'd pass on any "trophy points" under my avatar. It makes sense for eBay to rate sellers, I'm not sure why it's beneficial to identify posters by how many tupperware containers, film cannisters, and ammo boxes they've located.

Besides, if you contribute your $ to GC.COM, you can make your avatar anything you'd like. I like an idea I'd seen posted earlier where you'd have the option of HIDING your find counts.

I know where it matters in the cache logs (especially for notfounds), but don't see why find counts would matter in the forums.

quote:
Maybe for people like me who like to post and talk a lot, we could have an icon of a mouth and put a tooth in it for every 100 posts...Would only take 3200 posts to get a mouthful

Now for a little more speculation...

Until the site programmers do make that happen (if they do)...those who are interested in keeping track and showing off ( icon_wink.gif, can use the SMILEY FACES (Graemlins) in order to represent the 100 or 200 or 500 or 1000 marks. It is just a matter of figuring out which ones to use. Perhaps it would be quicker for the programmers to add symbols the SMILEY collection.

If the smiley thing doesn't work, then...

A different way may be someone finds the proper symbol on the net somewhere, and then shares it with everybody who is interested.

NOTE: Though I'm a newbie, believe me, I am not trying to change the system... icon_smile.gif

I guess some people like statistics, and others don't, and it would be nice if the option was there for both.

...and a cheer to repetition for without it we'd forget all whole lot of good and a whole lot of nonsense...

Thanks.

Kanto

templelogo.gif

Temple Kung Fu

"If you know about truth, tell me of it. If not, then I will search with you, together, in order to find it."

-Grandmaster Simon

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

I was going to say something. I did.

Smartest reply I've read all day! ;-)

As for the original topic - I'd pass on any "trophy points" under my avatar. It makes sense for eBay to rate sellers, I'm not sure why it's beneficial to identify posters by how many tupperware containers, film cannisters, and ammo boxes they've located.

Besides, if you contribute your $ to GC.COM, you can make your avatar anything you'd like. I like an idea I'd seen posted earlier where you'd have the option of HIDING your find counts.

I know where it matters in the cache logs (especially for notfounds), but don't see why find counts would matter in the forums.

I agree Hartclimbs.. but it would be a seperate icon (badge) under the avatar...actually underneath where the name can be changed with premium memberships....

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

http://parkrrrr.com/pirate.cgi.gif

I am Shirley & yup you are right....about the censors...I think. Also, I agree with you 1000%! Got rid of my kid years ago...don't care about kids whom the parents should control but don't.

(Woodster--watch it--you are showing the type of attitude you are trying to keep your child from seeing.)

The Lady of 2oldfarts

Smile, make others wonder what you're up to!!!

quote:

Actually there should be a disclaimer that you have to be a certain age to be on the forum. I wouldn't want my 12 yr old son to see the rudeness on here . . .

Is this what you are talking about?

quote:

Thats ok....everyone knows Mopar sucks...

In jest or not, this is not language for a 12 year-old to read, imo.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

Must have been quite the bran muffin that could make an "8ft rock cairn BM"

http://www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru/images/stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -http://www.theheavenlyhost.com/geocache

Ha! Good one Dru!

Maybe a super sized bowl of Super Colon Blow?

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

Must have been quite the bran muffin that could make an "8ft rock cairn BM"

http://www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru/images/stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -http://www.theheavenlyhost.com/geocache

It's a secret Family recipe...

You had to be there...

Smile, make others wonder what you're up to!!!

quote:
Well Well said Brian, if you ever get to CO, I'll give you and the Family the grand tour.

Thanks for such a good input.

Which Brian? If you don't watch yourself, you might find me knocking on your front door!

quote:
BrianSnat, you will need to see a dentist about those impacted wisdom teeth

Mffffft, muumuuble, oooooh.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
and since I've been laid off, I do spend a lot more time on these boards than I did previously. There is a sense of community here that I had in work, but miss as I sit in front of the PC searching for a new job. This place fills a void.

Wow Brian, that is a bummer. Now I feel guilty that I post so much from my job! We had some issues here with the state budget and I was worried about the court system closing down for a few days a year (my job is always safe). Fortunately, it all worked out, but who knows when I'll ever get a raise again! Still, seems like small potatoes to being out of work and having to do a job search! icon_frown.gif

pokeanim3.gif

Make no mistake. For some individuals it's ALL about the numbers. How else can you explain the people who sit at home on their computer and FAKE finds.

What about the guy a year or so ago who was actually taking photos off virutal caches taken by previous finders and doctoring them so it looked like HE had taken the photo and visited the cache.

It boogles my mind that the find count is so important to such people.

Then there was the guy who would swoop down on any travel bugs hitting caches in our area and then LOG each visit to the same cache as another FIND.

Pesonaly find counts don't mean much to me.

One guy can have a find count of 1,000 and half of them could be locationaless -- logged from the comfort of his easy chair.

Not that I care. Whatever floats yer boat. Me? I like getting out and actually finding caches and signing the log book.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:
Originally posted by Spzzmoose:

I have no opinion what-so-ever on this subject. I'm just posting this to get my post #'s up!! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

Don't laugh. On our my company's discussion boards there are threads with thousands of posts called "Increase Your post count here" where people post for no other reason than to increase their post count.

The boards are set up so you are awarded titles as you hit certain benchmarks as your post count goes up.

So you might start out as a 'newbie' level up to squire, then duke, lord, king etc.

Those titles have become points of braggin for many members. It's really fun to watch.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:
Originally posted by Frolickin:

Is this what you are talking about?

quote:

Thats ok....everyone knows Mopar sucks...

In jest or not, this is not language for a 12 year-old to read, imo.

Frolickin, that's the best post on this thread. icon_wink.gif

Touche.