frs radios & geocaching?

n8aho

Almost every time we use out FSR radios, the only time we don’t is when it’s a very short cache. My wife has her radio with our 9-year-old daughter and I have one with our 2-year daughter.

It comes in handy when your searching in an area with a lot of people all around you, this way you don’t stick out in a group of people. You can talk and let you hunting partners to move into another area without even being noticed.

quote:
Originally posted by n8aho:

Does anyone use an frs radio while geocaching?

Is there an official geocaching channel?

j.

Could have used it yesterday! Wife waited on trail while I bushwacked to cache. I thought she was headed for car, so after I found cache, I headed cross country to trail. After I got to car -- no wife! Had to hike back 1/2 mile to get her. It's radio for us soon!

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

I use FRS radios when I'm out with my sister or cousin cache hunting. There've been many times when even though you're only 100 feet or so apart you just can't see where the other person is at. I went to a cache with my sister where there was hardly any brush cover and good visability until you walked over a hill and then it was like you were alone, very scary! You couldn't even hear each other whistle! With the radio's you can quietly converse with each other team member, especially if you have a earbud microphone attachment for your radio. As for a certain channel, I just try to find one that I doesn't seem busy at the time.

[This message was edited by MNMartian on July 14, 2002 at 07:11 PM.]

At the Wisconsin Geocaching Association's campout, we used a FRS repeater from Radio Shack so we could cover a very large state park. We used channel 12 and will probably be using that for the upcoming picnic. While I've stopped taking them with me, I have two in my car in case I run across someone I know in the lot and they might serve a purpose.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Yes, I like to use FRS radios while going caching. That is, when I remember to bring them icon_smile.gif. They can come in real handy if someone stays behind while you go caching, to them that you found the cache, you'll be coming back, etc. They can also come in handy even if you're 100 feet or so away from other cachers, since a lot of the caches that I go to are in very thickly wooded areas.

Yes, I like to use FRS radios while going caching. That is, when I remember to bring them icon_smile.gif. They can come in real handy if someone stays behind while you go caching, to them that you found the cache, you'll be coming back, etc. They can also come in handy even if you're 100 feet or so away from other cachers, since a lot of the caches that I go to are in very thickly wooded areas.

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:

At the Wisconsin Geocaching Association's campout, we used a FRS repeater from Radio Shack so we could cover a very large state park. We used channel 12 and will probably be using that for the upcoming picnic. While I've stopped taking them with me, I have two in my car in case I run across someone I know in the lot and they might serve a purpose.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

You're apparently a ham, so I guess you'd know, but I thought repeaters were expressly prohibited on FRS.

Whenever I'm not alone caching I try to bring with some frs radios. They help when the gps isn't real accurate in the really thick cover so you can split up quite a ways, and stay in contact. They also help when someone wants to stay behind and sit in the car, as you can let them now how you're doing.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

We bring them to keep in contact with those family members who, for reasons unknown, choose not to make the final assault on a cache through stickers, muck, heights, or other precarious fun.

keknj and I have been hoping to run into you, particularly since we missed the local picnic. What channel do you guys use? Maybe we'll overhear you one of these caching days.

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

I just keep one scanning while I'm on the hunt. One day I hope to actually catch some cachers with it, but so far I've only caught some vacation caravans and a two-truck moving day. icon_wink.gif

that's what I've been doing.....hoping to snag someone on the hunt!

massillon ohio

stark county skywarn

packet radio

long haul 802.11b

aprs

linux

mac os x

warchalking

geocaching

gps art

recumbent bikes

extreme kites

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

I just keep one scanning while I'm on the hunt. One day I hope to actually catch some cachers with it, but so far I've only caught some vacation caravans and a two-truck moving day. icon_wink.gif

that's what I've been doing.....hoping to snag someone on the hunt!

massillon ohio

stark county skywarn

packet radio

long haul 802.11b

aprs

linux

mac os x

warchalking

geocaching

gps art

recumbent bikes

extreme kites

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

You're apparently a ham, so I guess you'd know, but I thought repeaters were expressly prohibited on FRS.

This is a simplex repeater. That is, it does not retransmit on an offset frequency. What it does is digitally record what it hears and when the incoming signal drops, it repeats what it heard. The consequence of it is that you hear many messages twice, including your own message. We used it to report finds on event caches, request hints and other event housekeeping.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:

This is a simplex repeater. That is, it does not retransmit on an offset frequency. What it does is digitally record what it hears and when the incoming signal drops, it repeats what it heard. The consequence of it is that you hear many messages twice, including your own message. We used it to report finds on event caches, request hints and other event housekeeping.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Neat! Thanks for the info!

We stay together on the trail so I don't normally carry the radios with us, but I have found one really good application for them. It's the "Honey, you just wait here in the car and I will be back in ten minutes" situation. That ten minutes often turns out to be more like 40 minutes, and the radio contact can be really useful for making excuses. It would also be useful if I fell and needed help.

FWIW,

CharlieP

I usually carry an FRS radio while I cache. Since I cache alone, it's usually just scanning for something interesting. I rarely hear anything down here in the boonies, but I heard some conversations the few times I used it while caching in Chicago.

rdw