What about Amusement Parks?

tigger2

Here in So. Cal., we are coming up on the situation of real caches in amusement parks, Disneyland in paricular. I can see this becoming a BIG problem for us. Since 9-1-1 all of the amusement parks are at Def-Con 5, they search the patrons, the employees and the vehicles that go into their property. If some hysterical person should find a cache in the bushes and think "bomb", after the clearing out of the area, calling in the bomb squad, S.W.A.T. & Hazmat, we (Geocaching) will get a nasty-gram from those folks that will make our eyes bulge.

For the forseeable future I would recommend that we not be using REAL caches in the amusement parks. Virtual caches are no problem. So it isn't like we can't use the fun part of amusement parks. We have a few terrific virtual caches in Disneyland and DCA that are a lot of fun. (If I ever get them finished.).

I just don't want to get the whole world P.O.ed at us and use Nancy Reagan's "Just say no!" when ever we ask. icon_frown.gif

I live in Orlando, FL and we have a similar problem and to make matters worse these cahces are not placed by local people. They are placed by people who come form out of state, so when this becomes a problem it is those of us who live here who suffer the consequences. I understand that these people want to share their love for Disney or Universal. However if you are true fan you should be able to come up with a unique virtual.

are you talking about ammo cans hidden in the bushes near a snack bar? People need to be creative if they're going to do a cache in a park like this. Think small, micro caches, with logs only maybe. There are enough trinkets to buy at these parks to keep anyone happy so you don't need any trade items. A film canister stuck undereneath a park bench wouldn't seem like a scary thing to me. Just don't fill it with a white powder.

You can always go virtual. Disneyland/world is famous for its hidden mickey mouses (mickey mice?), if you know of a good hidden mickey, you could always make that a virtual.

george

george

While most of the caches are micros, there is one at Disney that is a standard cache in the woods at a hotel. It won't matter of the type of cache it will be someone who is acting in a "suspicious manner" that will cause the problem. There was a cache discovered by Disney Security, pre 9/11.

You have to keep in mind that Disney World has a major influenece in the local economy and the knee jerk reaction to keep Disney happy can ruin things for everyone.

I'm compiling a list of amusement parks throughout the US (although it has spilled over into Europe and South America) that I plan on sharing with all who ask once it is more complete.

I need waypoints for Park Entrance and for major rides (roller coasters etc.).

I have been getting park address' off the net, then getting the waypoints for the address' from map programs, so my current level of accuracy is minimal.

Please post or send me Park Waypoints!

Thanks!

xsintrik

"No Comment"

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

... People need to be creative if they're going to do a cache in a park like this. Think small, micro caches, with logs only maybe.

Why bother with the log, even? Since these things are generally placed by tourists, the cache owner will almost certainly never see the thing again. I agree that virtuals are the way to go in places like this, unless permission has been secured through the proper channels to place a physical cache.

But seeing some guy in the bushes "flapping his arms like a chicken" (I saw this in a log on one of the Disney World cache pages) would probably provide pretty good entertainment value.

quote:
Originally posted by tigger2:

Here in So. Cal., we are coming up on the situation of real caches in amusement parks, Disneyland in paricular. I can see this becoming a BIG problem for us. Since 9-1-1 all of the amusement parks are at Def-Con 5, they search the patrons, the employees and the vehicles that go into their property. If some hysterical person should find a cache in the bushes and think "bomb", after the clearing out of the area, calling in the bomb squad, S.W.A.T. & Hazmat, we (Geocaching) will get a nasty-gram from those folks that will make our eyes bulge.

For the forseeable future I would recommend that we not be using REAL caches in the amusement parks. Virtual caches are no problem. So it isn't like we can't use the fun part of amusement parks. We have a few terrific virtual caches in Disneyland and DCA that are a lot of fun. (If I ever get them finished.).

I just don't want to get the whole world P.O.ed at us and use Nancy Reagan's "Just say no!" when ever we ask. icon_frown.gif

I can't see how anything could stay hidden in a theme park. Disney parks are so controled that anything hidden will be found and removed within' days.

What NO body cavity searches? No disasembling of car parts? More like Defcon 3. icon_wink.gif

Its 9-11 like the date not 9-1-1 like the phone number. icon_rolleyes.gif

- Lone Rangers

I thought I'd speak up since it would seem that some of the caches in question are mine in origin. I consider myself somewhat of a "tourist" but a "regular" at the Disney theme parks in Orlando, and wanting to combine my extreme interest for both, thought that this would be ideal since I visit frequently enough to "properly maintain a cache" in this area.

True, the caches are placed on private property. True, permission was neither requested, nor granted. True, the "illusion" of security has heightened at the Disney parks since 9/11. As any fan knows, Disney relies on it's "magic" to give you the best "show" your money can buy. But the "show" is precisely where it stops. I have visited the parks several times since the tragedies, and with little more than a "wave people through" buffer security line, which looks more like a way to keep people from overcrowding certain areas, the "increased security" seems laughable. I feel more silly now having to open my bag with who-knows-what stashed in my pocket. I wondered if "security" would bother someone who opened their bags at Checkpoint Charlie, not knowing that they had some form of contraband in their pocket.

Both of my micros:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11394

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=19341

are discretely placed, and (in my opinion,) not presently cauing any kind of security risk. The point of it all is that neither of the caches would be found by some Disney-super-security-Terminator-cop -- UNLESS, he had a GPS and was looking OR used the cheats. And if said super-security wants to find my cache, I hope he signs it and leaves it where he found it. But if not, said super-security can plunder my cache, report suspicious activity to the "powers that be" and look like a first-class goof when a bomb squad comes in to blow up a M&M mini's container with some pieces of paper and a pencil in it.

As for the "standard cache,"

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=7047

I placed this one first, and have visited it myself several times, sometime in the middle of the night, sometimes in the middle of the day. I think what we're failing to see is that Disney is not the formidable security-power, that they should be. Disney is not as "tight a ship" as some people would like to "imagine." Until now, I've had nothing but positive logs to make me believ thatmost people enjoyed this cache and it's extra challenge.

I do understand the Disney Virtual caches in CA, and have enjoyed them very much. Personally, I would think about placing one in FL, but wow, there's been so much negativity, I wonder if I should bother. icon_rolleyes.gif It might increase the number of people who attend the parks, causing the over-throw of security and causing upheaval and chaos and who knows what kind of ruckus.

HOWEVER, one of my caches appears missing in action, and the others are hopefully there to stay. If we (as a geocaching community) can come to a concensus that Disney parks are off-limits, then (slippery slope) dare I say it, let's can the National Parks, oh and State and local parks, playgrounds, and zoos too, because we don't want bad press. Any of these places are EQUALLY likely to be a victim or the security/bomb/bad press/imaginary chain of events that we have come to feel is "just a matter of time." When that happens, (pending the above mentioned imaginary catastrophe doesn't occur first) I'll be the first one to get in the parks and remove my caches, right after I remove my hat and eat it.

RBDupuy

I dont think any Disney park is a good palce to hide a cache, Say a guest see's you hiding your cache and thinks your hiding a bomb and starts for the gate tell all he are she seen someone hinding a bomb, Ok so maybe it will not happen , but what if it does ,Do you think if Diseny call the police that the s--- will not hit the fan. Do you think if Disney comes down on Geocaching it will be a good thing? There are so many good places to hide one outside the park find one and hide it there.

I certainly don't see anything wrong with caches in Disney World. I know there are lots of wilderness area in Disney World that would lend themselves quite nicely to a cache. As long as the cache placer and subsequent finders are discrete, where's the harm?

Of course, lugging an ammo can down main street and digging a hole to hide it in right next to cinderella's castle would be stupid...

Real caches hidden in an area far from where the owner lives is never a good ideas they can't maintain it. Locals, sure, I guess they could, but why would you? unless you've got a season pass, you're shelling 60 bucks just to verify it's condition. bah. i s'pose a good location can be found but with the public so close, security issues, plus they could move things or redecorate so odds are it wouldn't last. again, whats the point? virtuals can be used to illuminate hidden gems, and there are no issues. Course these could all be considered "commercial", but hey, I've found & hidden a few myself, so I must say it's kinda cool, even if it is....

WUHOO TEAMGWHO!