need info about GC571F

First post to the site.

The pages with information about a cache will give

lat and long AND something beginning with GC.

I clicked on the "What's this" link, but

was taken to a page that did not tell me what it

is. Is there a good web site that clearly explains

this string's importance?

Thanks

RobertLG

Thank you for your replies. I am prepared to accept that these waypoints simply identify the cache.

IF THERE ARE HIDDEN MEANINGS IN IT:

How is it created?

Who creates it?

How do I use it?

It looks a bit like a hexadecimal number (less the CG)

Sorry to keep at this, but my tiny mind wants to stretch out and become bigger. I need to feed it.

RobertLG

Each cache page is numbered. i.e. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22303

22303 is the number assigned to a cache page. If you change the number from decimal to hexadecimal(HEX) that number then looks like this -- 571F.

As stated earlier GC stands for GeoCache.

As you can see 22303 requires 5 characters while 571F only requires four characters. The largest number in HEX is FFFF using 4 characters or 65535 decimal. The largest number is decimal is 9999 using four characters. Because you can get a much bigger number in a 4 character space and there are lots of software routines already written to convert between the two it makes a nice clean way to number waypoints for your GPS.

If this is all geek to you, you're right. Hexadecimal(HEX) is used by us computer programers(geeks).

A quick search on hexadecimal brought this site. http://www.intuitor.com/hex/

I hope this helps.

Byron

quote:
Originally posted by Byron & Anne:

I hope this helps.

Wow, thanks Byron! I've always wondered about that but thought I'd be a 'geek' for asking!

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

It's not whether or not you pick your nose that matters, but where you put the booger...

The Windows Calculator (Start | Run and type in "calc" and hit Enter) will convert between Decimal, Hexidecimal, Binary and Octal. When the calculator is running click on View | Scientific and you'll see buttons to change the base. Select the base to start with (Hex for the raw Geocache number) and type in the number, then click on the base you want to convert to.

AtP