Hint Protect Your GPS Screen

briansnat

I got a nasty scratch on my Etrex's screen, so I came up with an idea to protect it (a little too late). I took one of those thin plastic screen protectors designed for Palm devices, cut it to size and applied it to the face of my GPS. Works great. It also protects it from damage if you have a DEET based insect repellent on your fingers and accidently touch the screen.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I got a nasty scratch on my Etrex's screen...

My fellow geocacher Vagabond has told me that there is a polishing powder/paste that you can pick up at small airport's maintenance shops that can polish out scratches on glass. The pilots use them to polish out scratches on their windshields.

--- yrium ---

I think the screen is plastic, so I don't think the polish would work. I was thinking of sending it back to Garmin (the scratch is a deep and large one) but I can't do without my GPS for long.

Funny how an item I barely knew existed a year ago has become so indespensible and not just for Geocaching.

At least with the protective cover I used, it won't get scratched further.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

There was a similar thread on a Palm newsgroup I used to read. Apparently there's a product made in Germany to polish scratches out of cellphone screens. It would work on Palms too, so I would suppose it would work on a GPS.

However, if the scratch is that deep, I wouldn't even mess with it. Call Garmin, see what can be done (if it bugs you that much). If it doesn't, then just consider it a battle scar.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."

Mt. 13:44

BrianSnat writes:

quote:
I think the screen is plastic, so I don't think the polish would work. I was thinking of sending it back to Garmin (the scratch is a deep and large one) but I can't do without my GPS for long.

Funny how an item I barely knew existed a year ago has become so indespensible and not just for Geocaching.

Sounds like a reason for another GPS (always need a backup, right?) icon_biggrin.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

BrianSnat writes:

quote:

Sounds like a reason for another GPS (always need a backup, right?) icon_biggrin.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

BrianSnat,

If the scratch isn't too deep and you want to try to fix it yourself, have a look at Novus Plastic Polish. A quick search will reveal many dealers who sell it online, and it's also stocked in many plastic shops if you have one in your vicinity. I've used it on quite a few different items (although never a GPSr screen) with good results.

Of course this is no substitute for a replacement from Garmin, but you always have that as an option anyway.

Try your local computer or music store and look for a cd repair kit. It containes all you need to polish cd's back to their original shiny selves. I don't see any reason this would not work for the gps screen.. I have polished scratches out of numerous music and computer cd's with great success, actually no failures to date. It has certainly saved a lot of headaches. Also a good effective and safe alternative to Deet is Caactus Juice Bug Repellant.