Out of the mouths of babes...

Bilder

Was surfing the site with my daughter when she brought up a point. We have been teaching her the importance of setting an example to others lately and I think it is starting to take hold.

On the main page, when you move the mouse pointer over the "My Cache Page" button, a picture of a boy holding a cache is displayed.

My daughter pointed out to me that it is a bad example to show a boy holding a glass jar as a cache container. She said an ammo can would make a better "treasure box".

It is good to know that your kids actually listen to you from time to time.

Also good to know that they like to go caching! icon_biggrin.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Children in general pay a lot of attention to what you say ... and do ... sometimes much more than you want them too ... and usually find the most inappropriate time to bring it up! I learned very quickly not to comment on the ... ahem ... the driving skills or lack of same ... of my fellow drivers on the highway while my daughter was in the car! icon_wink.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Not even the smallest details of a situation escape the notice of my twin 5 year olds. It's amazing what they pick up and, as RK posted, it's things you would never have thought they were paying attention to.

It's ammusing (annoying?) to hear them use your logic and discipline against you, too; or at least point out inconsistencies in your messages and your actions: "But, Daddy, YOU'RE not wearing Your bicycle helmet.." and as illustrated in the cache box statement above.

I swear these two could litigate in court.

Worse is when you see or hear your speech patterns or other mannerisms in thier play. Ever "hear" one doll say to another: "Bad choices will always result in bad consequences.." or whetever your recurring message is?

They are a joy to be raising and it illustrates why we have to be so carful about being consistent with our messages and actions. I think they have increased the level of my integrity because of that.

"Now may every living thing, young or old, weak or strong, living near or far, known or unknown, living or departed or yet unborn, may every living thing know happiness!"

My kids are sometimes better hunters than I am on certain caches.

Case in point... A while back we were serching for a cache in a rather desolate area and were having a rough time since there weren't many hiding places around. After about 10 min, my 6 yr old daughter said "What about this?", while pointing to an object (I won't name what it was -- don't want to spoil the idea for others out there). I dismissed it and said "No, there is no way that could be it. You have probably guessed by now but after about 20 more minutes we gave up. Went home and emailed the owner of the cache for a hint. He responded and said "Have you checked this?", naming the object that my daughter pointed out.

I was humbled. We went back out later that afternoon and BINGO! there it was. Right where my daughter wanted to search. I let her find it. It was a fun hunt but I will always pay attention to the ideas of my children now. icon_smile.gif

They are sometimes the wisest of them all.

Kirk out.

Children show openly the fears or contempt we may try to hide. I’ve even heard children make racist remarks. It’s a product of their environment. Why would she think a glass container is “bad”? A broken glass container may be dangerous to your blood retention, but the jar, in and of itself, has no desires whatsoever to help or harm you.

There are thousands, if not millions, of glass containers in use all over the world right now, none of which give me any reason for concern. My advice, and take it for what it’s worth, is to teach children respect for things dangerous, broken glass, firearms, knives, hot burners, etc., and let them determine for themselves the things they should fear. None of the items mentioned here are “bad”, and no child will determine them to be so without some intervention by a respected adult to teach them they are “bad”.

My point, aside from pointing out that glass jars are perfectly good cache containers in most situations, is that you cannot be with a child all day every day. They will, in the course of their maturing, encounter items that can be made dangerous. Their reaction to these encounters will be a result of the actions demonstrated by the adults they trust. Fear for inanimate objects can be detrimental to preventing them from injury, as curiosity often overcomes fear.

JMHO

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/